PS4 Microsoft charge for Live Recording, Sony don't...

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
There are various reports on the interwebz stating that Xbox One will require Xbox Live Gold to be able to record live video.

Sony Worldwide Studio boss Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed on twitter that PS4 owners will not need Playstation Plus to be able to do the same thing on Playstation 4.

So, one more point to Sony then?

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That can't possibly be true.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That can't possibly be true.
yup it is!! Its not too far removed from what's on the 360 now. Pretty much everythings been gated by Microsoft. Its one of the reasons the didn't get BBC iPlayer as they tried to make it a Gold exclusive. Not hard really to fall out of love with Microsoft is it?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looks like it is true. A report from CVG:

Xbox One Game DVR restricted to Gold subscribers

Xbox One owners will need to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold if they hope to make use of the console's new Game DVR functionality.
According to an Xbox Live promo page on the official Xbox website, the feature is among a list of benefits offered exclusively to Xbox Live Gold accounts holders, suggesting that non-subscribers will find the feature completely disabled.
An Xbox rep reportedly told One Hit Pixel, "I can confirm that Game DVR features will be available to Xbox Live Gold members only."
The Game DVR feature allows the new console to record gameplay clips at 720p and 30 frames per second, and share them with others via Xbox Live.

According to chief Xbox One platform architect Marc Whitten, the DVR function - which records in-game footage straight to the Xbox One cloud - will feature a fixed resolution and frame rate irrespective of the game's native settings.

Xbox One will automatically record the last five minutes of a user's gameplay, and gameplay footage can also be streamed live to Twitch TV.

As you'll see, it links to this XBox page which clearly shows Game DVR as a Gold feature.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
See? I'm down with the kidz, me. Home with the downies etc...

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
In which case they'll probably gate the networked media playback, it already was on the 360 in a fashion as you had to be connected to the internet to playback networked media with DivX/xVid encoding, they might as well stick that behind a paywall to put even more customers off.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You also need LIVE Gold to use Skype. :think:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yes @Slaine I can totally understand falling out of love with Microsoft.

Charging for free services is a new kind of low, even by Microsoft's standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Yet again: idiots! :D

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
This is common practice for MS now, I have no idea why they don't just quit and let Sony have there console and exclusives lol

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Maybe they are intentionally trying to alienate their userbase. In which case, they're doing a sterling job :think:

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looking at it from another pespective, since I cant imagine the sort of gamers who would use this feature not having an online subscription you might ask whether really it makes much difference. Lets face it if you are at all interested in online multiplayer you will have to pay to play on both consoles and therefore have the necessary subscription to allow you to use the Xbox one recording features. I accept that there will be some non connected gamers who will be disadvantaged here, but I susect that overall the slice of gamers affected will be quite small probably.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Well to be honest @yinkin is spot on, most 360 gamers already pay for gold so saying you have to have gold to do everything is only an issue for those who don't want to pay for it. I get the ps4 is better when handling everything without a subscription (Netflix, YouTube etc.) but who here won't have plus this time next year? In the short term it looks like crap but in reality xbl gold subscriptions are what made xbl 10x better then PSN which was free and makes little to no money.

This time next year M$ will still be making money but so will Sony.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I dunno, I know people who are happy to have their 360's without gold subs because the games they play just don't work online at the level they play them at, it's local play or nothing....and the ability to record would be much welcomed.

I suspect if I talk to those people they will be getting a PS4 because it's cheaper and has all the functionality without the requirement for subscriptions.

With that said I would suggest that a huge number of online players couldn't care less about recording....look at how many copies of CoD have been sold with the built in recording and then look at how few actually use it.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Actually the takeup for Gold is only about 60% of all 360 owners (actually a little bit less). Surprising really considering the 360's strength is actually its online functionality.

The u-turns theyve done now actually makes the 180 a more attractive proposition. They're even considering backwards capability now too, despite saying that we were all backwards for wanting it. Still not getting one as they took me and all the other loyal Xbox fans for granted. Besides this time round the PS4 really does look like the best choice by far (upgradeable hdd, ps+, more & better exclusives, ps vita remote play, best UI of all the consoles Execs that dont make you want to strangle them).