Media Gallery

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Senior Gamers now has a media gallery. :D

The media gallery is a way for forum members to share media, which includes uploaded images and linked videos from other sites (YouTube, Vimeo etc).

The media gallery is visible to everyone.
All Registered members can add media to the media gallery as well as like, rate, comment and report media.
Be careful about what you upload to the media gallery with it being visible to everyone. Anything inappropriate added to the media gallery will be removed!

Currently the media gallery is a site wide gallery. In the next version (coming soon) it will also have user albums - a way for users to share photo and video collections. User albums will be available to Seniors only. Seniors will be able to decide who to share their user albums with - everyone, registered users, a custom list of users or just themselves.

The media gallery can be found at the top of the forums - just click on the Media link to see it.

xmg_page.png

The main media gallery page displays various things including categories, recent comments and top contributors. Media can be displayed in different ways by clicking on the tabs on the page.

xmg_media_page.png

Each piece of media has its own media page where you can view the media (image or video) as well as rate, like, comment and report. Images also have full size and download links. Media can also be shared using the Share Page code (if sharing elsewhere, e.g. on social media). The Share BB [MEDIA] Code allows you to post the image or video from the gallery into a forum post. This is useful as it means you don't have to upload images both to the media gallery and to a post.

Adding media to the media gallery
To add media to the media gallery, just click on the Media button on the media gallery page or the Add Media link in the menu bar. You will then be asked to choose a category to add your media to.

pick_category1.png

pick_category2.png

The current category list is just a start. As more media is added to the media gallery, more categories will be added. If you have any suggestions for new categories, please let me know!

Once you have selected a category, the Add media screen will appear.

Adding images
Click on the Upload an Image tab.

add_image.png

Click on Add Media, then choose the images from your computer/tablet/phone that you wish to upload. If you have a Flash enabled browser, you will be able to upload multiple images in one go.

If you are adding linked media (e.g. from YouTube, Vimeo etc), click on the Embed a Video tab.

embed_video.png

Paste the URL of the video you are linking into the Embed a Video box. If you are linking to multiple videos, click on Add, then paste more URLs into additional boxes that appear. Click on Save Media to finish.

Once you have added your media, you can then add titles and descriptions.

titles_descriptions.png

Click on Save Media when you have finished.

What's New
The What's New? link on the forums now has two tabs, one to show you new posts and the other, when clicked on, to show you new media.

whats_new.png

Alerts
You will receive alerts for likes, ratings and comments on any media you have added to the media gallery so you will always know what reactions and responses there are from others to your media gallery contributions.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ooh. Very swish. Are there any size limits? Quite happy to share some of my older work - in particular, my video for "Ping Pong" should tickle a few Seniors!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ooh. Very swish. Are there any size limits? Quite happy to share some of my older work - in particular, my video for "Ping Pong" should tickle a few Seniors!
Currently I've set a 5Mb filesize limit for each photo uploaded to the Media Gallery, which should be enough (uploads in posts is now 1Mb). Videos are linked so there's no limit to those. If there's a video on a site not supported, let me know and I'll see if support for that site can be added.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cheers.
I'll upload & link those videos when I get in.
(Left house to buy dinner, currently stuck in pub! )

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is there any form of notification system that can be used with the likes of Media Gallery, Shop, Sidebar stuff (status posts)?

These are all very cool features but I don't actually know that posts/additions have been made as there's no way of seeing that from the forums that i'm aware of, with the obvious exception as you've posted of replies to stuff you've posted.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seems to be fine now. Just watched and rated it. :)
Aye, seems fine now. And thanks! I'll pop a couple of other older pieces up now too then. :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is there any form of notification system that can be used with the likes of Media Gallery, Shop, Sidebar stuff (status posts)?

These are all very cool features but I don't actually know that posts/additions have been made as there's no way of seeing that from the forums that i'm aware of, with the obvious exception as you've posted of replies to stuff you've posted.
To answer these in turn:

Media Gallery
You can see new media added by clicking on the New Media tab in the What's New? link (see first post). Not only will this see new media added but also it'll show you existing media that has had new comments made. So basically when you look at the tab, if there's some media that you've seen before, click on it and you'll then see the new comments etc.

If you've added media, then any likes, ratings, or comments made on it will give you an alert at the top of the forums (just like you get alerts for other things like quotes in posts, likes, tags etc).

I believe the next version will have its own alert bubble on the Media tab, which should make it even easier to see new content etc. The next version will also support tagging in comments.

Shop
No alerts for this at all, it's just a page with the shop in it. If I add anything new to the shop then I'll post and let folk know.

Status posts
If you make a status post, you will get alerts when others comment on your status or like it.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I believe the next version will have its own alert bubble on the Media tab, which should make it even easier to see new content etc.
This was what I was hoping for, fantastic news that it's an upcoming feature as I have a sneaky suspicion that this feature of the website will become very popular as we get into the next generation of consoles.

Shop
No alerts for this at all, it's just a page with the shop in it. If I add anything new to the shop then I'll post and let folk know.
Awesome

Status posts
If you make a status post, you will get alerts when others comment on your status or like it.
I was thinking more a notification of someone else posting their own status, as you get these on the side bar on the front screen, but you don't get that side bar when viewing the forums, it's still a little disjointed in it's current format unfortunately.

I would assume some form of notification will show if someone you are following posts a status, but still it's currently just not quite there if I've got it right in my head, which is a shame as it could be used as a great tool..."Status Update : has some free gaming time tonight, anyone fancy a game of something?"

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was thinking more a notification of someone else posting their own status, as you get these on the side bar on the front screen, but you don't get that side bar when viewing the forums, it's still a little disjointed in it's current format unfortunately.
The sidebar can be added to the forums view if folk would like it? I left the view inside forums clear of a sidebar to keep it less cluttered and assumed folk would have noticed sidebar stuff on the main forums overview page.

EDIT: Actually this may not be possible after all. I'll look into it...

I would assume some form of notification will show if someone you are following posts a status, but still it's currently just not quite there if I've got it right in my head, which is a shame as it could be used as a great tool..."Status Update : has some free gaming time tonight, anyone fancy a game of something?"
Following is purely (from what I can tell) to let you know when someone is online - their avatar will display in the Who Is Online box. I'm not sure it does anything else at this stage. I believe that with User Albums in the Media Gallery you will be able to share them with just those you follow (as well as other sharing options, of course).