Media Gallery enhancements

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Media Gallery has been upgraded and there are many changes and enhancements as well as new features. :D

As there is so much that has changed and is new, I'll just give an overview in this post. Then over the next few days I'll do some How to... guides on using various aspects of the latest Media Gallery.

User Albums
User albums are finally here! These allow you to create your own albums which can contain images and embedded videos. You can have as many albums as you like and you can set the privacy of each one separately. So, for example, @Spruijt could create an album of his little 'uns and share it with members only. There are different privacy options and you can even share albums with specific people only (although moderators can always see albums).

Albums, just like media, can be liked, rated and commented on.

Note: User Albums can only be created by Seniors ;)

Media Alerts
When new media is added to the Media Gallery, you will receive an alert. Alerts are also received for new comments on existing media.

upload_2014-1-21_21-49-32.png

When there is new media or new comments on media, clicking on the Media tab will take you to the New Media page. When there is are no media or comments, clicking on the Media tab will take you to the Media Home page.

Site Category Permissions
Site categories (the ones we've had for a while e.g. Gaming, Humour etc) now have permissions for who can see them and who can upload to them. Most will remain as they are (public) but it does mean that we can set up a category that is visible to members or Seniors only where we can do things like add photos from the SNR annual meet.

Media Trophies
You've all had trophies for posts, likes and other stuff. Now there are trophies for adding media to the Gallery and creating albums :)

Media Sidebar Block
There's now a sidebar block for Media, which can show either New Media or Random Media. Currently I've set this to New Media.

Member Tagging
Any images that you upload can be tagged to show members, just in the same way as on Facebook.

upload_2014-1-21_22-10-45.png

Hovering over an image will reveal any member tags. In addition, if any members are tagged in an image, a block will appear on the right of the page showing who has been tagged.

upload_2014-1-21_22-11-20.png

Note: Member tags are only visible to registered users, not guests.

Content Tags
Media can be tagged. Tags can be used to find other similar media which use the same tags.

upload_2014-1-21_23-0-49.png

Tags will appear in a Tag Cloud block in the Media section

New Media Gallery look
Larger thumbnails and various information icons for each piece of media

upload_2014-1-21_22-19-19.png

New Toolbar
On media pages, there is a new toolbar:

upload_2014-1-21_22-21-38.png

These buttons allow you to:
  • Use Media as Avatar
  • Crop Image
  • Tag Members
  • Rotate Media Left
  • Rotate Media Right
  • Flip Media Horizontally
  • Flip Media Vertically
  • Edit Media
  • Delete Media
  • Download Media
  • View Full Size Media
  • View Media in Lightbox
  • Previous Media
  • Next Media
The buttons available will vary depending on whether the media is an image or video, whether it is your media (and can edit it). A couple of buttons are only available to certain groups e.g. Seniors and Moderators

Lightbox
Media can be viewed in a Lightbox, like the way you view media on Facebook.

lightbox.PNG

User Upload Quotas
Upload quotas have been set to manage storage space on our website. Standard members each get 25Mb, Seniors each get 100Mb. This may get reviewed in the future. Only uploaded images count against your quota, embedded videos (e.g. from YouTube, Vimeo etc) don't count

Automatic Video Titles and Descriptions
When you add a video from YouTube, Vimeo etc, the title and description are automatically generated (taken from the title and description on the site). These of course can be edited if required

Media Editing
Once media has been added, you can edit it for a certain amount of time. Seniors get longer to edit their media. :)

EXIF Information
For anyone who is interested in EXIF information in images, this is now available

upload_2014-1-21_22-47-53.png

EXIF information is collected from compatible devices during upload and stored and displayed in the Information tab on the media page. If available, EXIF information is used to automatically rotate and flip an image.

I've not mentioned all of the changes and I haven't gone into detail about each of these aspects, but as you can see that's quite a change to the Media Gallery!

Anyway, do check out the new features, have a play. :D

Attachments

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That was on the PS3 and Javascript was off, it works ok with it on. :) (sorry should have said :( )

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Is it possible to add an extra Site Category Permission? Now all members (active or one-timers) have access to the members only media. Is it possible to have a setting to give access only to Full Fat Senior members?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is it possible to add an extra Site Category Permission? Now all members (active or one-timers) have access to the members only media. Is it possible to have a setting to give access only to Full Fat Senior members?
Yes it is. :)

The site categories will generally be left open to the public but the Annual Meets category is set to Members only (standard and Seniors). This hasn't changed - all members could always see the Annual Meets category. I can also set up categories for Seniors only if there's a need for it. Do you have anything specific in mind?

Don't forget that User Albums all have their own privacy settings which the album creator can set. Unfortunately you can't set Albums to Seniors only. You can set them to members only (standard and Seniors), people you follow on the forums or even share your albums with specific people. You can also keep them private too (though moderators can still see them).

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
@Martok It's nice to be able to share photo's of the boys on here. I'm not a fan of putting them up on social media for the whole world to see. Same goes for the media folder here. Anyone that registers can see them.
Call me a hissy fit, but I like to know these persons a little better first (no offence).

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok It's nice to be able to share photo's of the boys on here. I'm not a fan of putting them up on social media for the whole world to see. Same goes for the media folder here. Anyone that registers can see them.
Call me a hissy fit, but I like to know these persons a little better first (no offence).
No, I totally understand. :)

Prior to the last update the Gallery was open to everyone. With this current version which added Albums, different site categories can be set to members only (like Annual Meets) and even to Seniors only (not set any like this). As I mentioned in the update post, albums do have different privacy options and I did mention you could share with members, which you did. Members though has always meant all registered users.

As we can't currently restrict Albums to just Seniors, if you want to do this the best bet is to change the privacy and share it with some Seniors who you specifically name. If you're not sure how to do this then let me know. :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Spruijt - I've thought of another way to do it, which would mean you could easily share with the same people other Albums you create without having to add their names to each one. You can simply share your albums with people you follow!

To follow people, just click on their avatar next to one of their posts and then click on Follow in the pop-up that appears. Alternatively visit their profile and you can follow them from there. :)

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
@Spruijt - I've thought of another way to do it, which would mean you could easily share with the same people other Albums you create without having to add their names to each one. You can simply share your albums with people you follow!

To follow people, just click on their avatar next to one of their posts and then click on Follow in the pop-up that appears. Alternatively visit their profile and you can follow them from there. :)
Thanks for the heads up. Will get right on it :1thumbup: