• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers formed in 2012. We started as PlayStation gamers but now we are fully multi-platform with members also playing on PC, Xbox, Switch and other platforms.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Life span of a PS4 controller...

amymoggy

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Me and @wilskywalker have had the PS4 since launch night, and the controllers are on the way out already.

The rubber on the analogue sticks is starting to split and one has a problem with the directional control on screen.

I'm sure they should last longer than a year!

Anyone else having this issue?

:x

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Me and @wilskywalker have had the PS4 since launch night, and the controllers are on the way out already.

The rubber on the analogue sticks is starting to split and one has a problem with the directional control on screen.

I'm sure they should last longer than a year!

Anyone else having this issue?

:x
Yep. I have 2 controllers and the rubber on the thumb sticks has worn off both of them. I have these on them now;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00J44J6NA/ref=ox_ya_os_product

The R1 button on both of them also stick, one controller is worse than the other (the launch one). Nothing spilt on either. I can only presume I spot too much on BF4!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nice find @Plaxinator. Mine haven't split, but they are both bald.

Pafkes

Wait for it
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My launch controller's sticks are also split and the batterie life-time has become very short (like 2 to 3hrs or so). I have a 2nd controller since august and is getting bald also, time to get some thumb grips! thanks @Plaxinator

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have had my PS4 since June and my controller is nearly as new as the day I got it. I have used it for several hours most nights and a lot at the weekends, so it has had some hammer. They must have improved the launch controller to stop the wearing of the thumb sticks.

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yup my launch PS4 controller thumb stick rubber is splitting off, but the other 2 bought subsequently appear fine.

I think Watchdog had a rant about PS4 controllers recently....

amymoggy

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

Think it's time for some new ones :(

PNMotorsportUK

Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I do want the Artic Camo controller

Solo-nite

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
One of my PS4 launch controllers rubber stick was starting to split so I traded it for a red DS4 before it got too bad (the other black one is still fine)

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This should give me some warning of things to look forward to, mine is only approx 6 months old

Bad Robot

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Mine are ok at the moment but I'll be getting some of those ButterFox Thumb Grips ........ Who ever thought of that name must of been pissed or stoned :drinks::crazy:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So what's the craic with the controllers, are Sony replacing them? Are the shops you bought them from supposed to be replacing them?

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It had to happen eventually, my first PS4 pad has finally died ... sort of

One of the analogue triggers has broken, looks like a simple fix (ish) just need to order a replacement trigger. It turns out one of the pins that the trigger rotates on has snapped off and to top it off it had to be the pin which holds the spring as well

Found a pair of reinforced triggers from eBay for £5 :woot: so its not all bad in the end

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My original controller is still as good as new, battery life has dropped a bit but not too bad at all really. :)

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I bought some aluminium thumbsticks from eBay to replace worn ones and i bought some high profile rubber thumbstick covers too.