1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Låt Den Rätte Komma In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slaine, 30 Jun 2012.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Just finished this yesterday, and its still playing on my mind. One of the best books Ive read for a while (Dance With Dragons wears that particular mantle of best book this year Ive read), and I cant recommend it enough.

Obviously I never read the raw swedish version, as Im still struggling with english :oops: !! Its called Let The Right One In, and theres been a couple of films made about it. The original film "Let The Right One In" is fantastic; dont let the subtitles put you off. The recent remake "Let Me In" isnt too shabby either. The book contains so much more though, and the films have taken some liberties with the plot too. I cant really tell you too much about the story without spoiling it, so you'll just have to take a leap of faith here.

Read the book first; I wish I had. Its one of the most unique stories Ive ever read. :thumbup:

2. OAPboba

OAPboba Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    OAPboba
    Yeah I have the book and have seen both films too. they're all excellent in their own ways.

I was actually amazed that my daughter bought me the book for Christmas 2010 - amazed for 2 reasons: (1) great choice! How did you know? etc. and (2) how come they let you buy it!! It's a pretty full on book and she had just turned 15 at the time. I'd never really thought about it before but they don't have age restrictions on books do they? Not that Hope read it but the book shop didn't know that.

3. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Thats why Ive always found censorship so bizarre. You cant watch a film with swearing or nudity in it, yet anything goes in books, and this one had a few choice moments too.

I saw the swedish film first. Absolutely in love with it, and found it very haunting. I then read the book, but I still wanted more so I got the US remake, which really isnt that bad (I like Chloe Moretz, I think she's a pretty good actress and I reckon she'll do very well for herself).

Silly posting here really, because I want to talk about it but I dont want to spoil it for anyone, which I will if I do!! :? So basically you're asking people to trust you. If anyone does watch or read the films or book, do yourself a favour and dont read the synopsis on the back. Treat yourself to that Crying Game moment. :thumbup:

4. Alien_Chick

Alien_Chick Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Alien_Chick
    Oooh, why haven't I heard of this book before?? Sounds great and I'm going to have to invest. I'm always looking for new and interesting books to read, thanks guys :)

5. Alien_Chick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Alien_Chick
    I am going to buy this book :)

6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    You wont regret it. And you'll see why I was loathe to reveal anything :shh:

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Working for a paper distribution company I recently got a kindle, which as I'm told by my coworkers is killing the industry, needles to say before getting it I never read a book since I left school. I'm currently reading Jeremy Clarkson and can say his books are hilarious, I have also bought a hand full of other books since getting my kindle. All this said I'm not sure the book you are mentioning will be to my taste, but if we all had the same tastes life would be prity boring :) do you know if it's Available on kindle?

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Yup for £3.99. Cant you download tasters on the kindle? Read a couple of chapters and see what you think

9. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Re

That's the idea :)

10. Alien_Chick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Alien_Chick
    I washed my kindle on a hot wash, super fast spin (not my fault as somebody wrapped it up in a duvet cover!) and am hoping it dries out ok or it's back to old fashioned books for me!! :roll:

11. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Oh bugger!!! Hope it works, but at the risk of being a Prophet Of Doom I cant see it. Not if its anything like our washing machine!!