1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Kiss my axe!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Slaine, 29 Jun 2012.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Hi my names Kevin. Im 44 and I live in Kent, having moved down from London many years ago. Ive a wife and 6 kids, but Im currently on the dole at the mo, having lost my job over a year ago now!!! :o :cry: Many of you may know me as "Torquemada" from the PS3 or "OAP Slaine" from the 360. Massive gaming fan, and I currently possess a Vita, PS3, 360 and a launch PS2.

Started gaming when Atari used to make home consoles. My dad was too tight to get me one of these so thought the Intellivision was a worthy replacement. It wasnt. No really it wasnt. The games used a "phone" interface, which when you consider most people still had dial phones might seem revolutionary, but it wasnt. The games were soooo bad!!!.

I used to get my main gaming fixes from the arcade, with Pacman (couldnt stand Space Invaders) being my first love. As time passed, ones that stick in my mind are Phoenix, Tron and vector Star Wars.

I managed to convince my dad to get me a Spectrum, but because he is so tight I missed out on the 48K generation and leapt straight in to 128K. I loved this machine to bits, but hated the loading times, so it wasnt a hard choice for me to switch to consoles (mega drive). I was a Sega lover through & through, but was getting sick and tired of buying their peripherals and then finding a severe lack of support, so I made to the leap to Sony (PS1) and havent looked back.

Other than gaming, Im an avid reader (George R R Martin being my current favourite), as well as a massive cinema goer (fave films/tv are Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, Sopranos, Game Of Thrones, Big Bang Theory).

Anyways, nice to see some familar faces over here!!

2. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Welcome to the site, Slaine/Torquemada. :)

Sorry to hear you've been on the dole for so long. Don't get me started on the current government and what they're (not) doing to reduce unemployment... :roll:

Blimey, I hadn't realised you had 6 kids! I bet you love every minute with all of them, though I'm sure they'll be casting you off the PS3/360 as they get older, if they don't do so already! :lol:

Oh come on, they weren't that bad! I thought that graphically it was superior to the Atari 2600. The squashy keys we're brilliant but it did have '3D' graphics!

So, are you a real book reader or do you have an e-reader? I've got a Kindle and enjoy reading on it, it's much more convenient than holding open the weighty tomes of Peter F Hamilton!

What games are you into at the moment? I thought you had BF3 on the PS3 but haven't seen you on it. What are you playing on the black and green consoles these days?

Also, you haven't said if you're after Allies or Senior Citizens membership (details in the About section if you're unsure). Do let us know your requirements. :)

3. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Alright Slaine :)

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Hi Herman & Martok!!

Sorry, Im looking for Senior membership please. :D

And real book all the way. Im not completely hamish; I have tried e-reading. But its not for me. Nothing like the smell and feel of a good book in your hand. Not good for the enviroment, but a guilty pleasure nonetheless.

I did play Battlefield 3 briefly the other day, and got my arse handed to me on a plate. Thatll teach me to neglect this game!! :oops: You know me, I never trade in any game ;)

And no, the Intellivision was bad. I think you need to be reminded.....clicky

At the moment Ive been playing Minecraft on the 360. On the PS3 its been Dust 514 beta and Space Marine (before my PS+ membership expires).

5. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Slaine mate, long time no see :thumbup:

6. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Good man, I'll do the web tinkery magic in a moment and open it all up to you. No hidden forums from full members in here. :D

Do let us know when you fancy a game and we'll jump on and join you. You can also find our BF3 clan here.

You can post YouTube videos directly into the forums here, Slaine. Here's that vid:

The games shown in the video weren't the best selection, though 3 were good - Star Strike, Night Stalker and Astro Smash. No mention of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Burger Time, Shark Shark or Tron Deadly Discs. Still, at least they loaded instantly and didn't require several patches to work properly!

We've known each other for many years and played in many games together across the PS2 and PS3 and it's great to have you on board. :thumbup:

Anyway welcome to the community, you are now a Senior Citizen and can now wear the [SNR] tag online.

See you online soon. :)

7. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I can't comment on the intelevision :wtf: but I must agree with you about the smell of a good book. What finally drove me to the e-reader was cycle commuting as I liked to read at lunchtime. Carrying the regular weight of an e-reader against the bulky and inconsisent size/weight of a book was a no brainer. Unfortunately I got my Kindle as a redundancy gift. :|

May I also add that I utterly adore this smiley :wave: and I want to wave right back at it whenever I see it used.

Abs

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Im incredibly precious about my books too. I never break the spines or fold over pages.

And thanks for the hellos everyone!!

9. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I'm just as precious about books. Including those of others. :oops:

A place I used to work was aware of this as we we're quite a close knit group. They bought an identical book to the one I was reading and plotted to wind me up in the pub one evening. Part way through the evening one of them grabbed my book and folded the corner of a page making me exclaim loudly. Another then snatched it from them and broke the spine which had me fuming, laughing and almost crying at the same time as they all joked about. The final bit of cruelty was when someone tore the final page of the book out and swallowed it. I was an utter emotional wreak. :cry: Oh how we laughed and cried. :crazy:

10. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    Hi Slaine, your here too :D

11. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada

Hi mate, yeah Im here too!!. Hope you're keeping well and see you online soon.

12. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Hi Slaine, im sure we have gamed online together at some point in the past but for the life of me cant remember when or where.

13. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Yeah we have, and I cant remember either!!! :grandpa: I know we have for definite because Ive added you to my Friends List on a game night. Im not going to even try to embarrass myself on guessing which game!! :oops:

14. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Could have been a thing ha, we might remember one day :lol:

15. ZXstampie

ZXstampie Semi-Regular Gamer

PSN:
    ZXstampie
    Hey Slane,
    Good too see you again,