Kifflom!

Cundalini

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Hi all.

I’m 41 and from Devon and it’s occasionally sunny down these parts, but not lately, far from it actually. A seaside town full of retired folk might seem idyllic to some of you reading this, but there are only so many tartan shopping trollies and dedicated hotels (that celebrate Christmas all year round) a man can take. I’ve been a member with the OAPs for some time but not actively and found out about this site whilst playing GTA 5 with some SNR members, notably Ace and Pede. I guess I’m seeking to be a standard member as, although I don’t don’t hold a strong allegiance, I’d much prefer to interact with people who are on the same wavelength and across the spectrum, if that makes sense?

My gaming history is quite nostalgic, harking back to the wood finish Atari 2600 days. From there it was a dalliance with (in order) an Acorn Electron, Commodore 64, Snes, N64, Gamecube, PS2, PS3 Wii, Wiiu and now the PS4. Some of which were U.S and Jap models so that I didn’t have to wait months for them to come out over here. There are various iterations of Nintendo hand-helds thrown in there too, as well as Game & Watch and the like. I still own the platforms, the games and all in tip-top condition as far as I know, but they take up far too much valuable space. I’d never sell anything though, I’m far too sentimental.

I’d like to play online more now with like-minded souls as there seems to be more emphasis on the multiplayer element at the expense of the single player experience nowadays. Scaling back the story element of first person shooters seems the norm and single player campaigns seem to get shorter and shorter with each release?!

I think my hang up with online multi-player is often due to the lack of community and the apprehensiveness of not really knowing what to do or what to expect when you play a new title for the first time. Playing competitively against unknowns doesn’t really appeal to me as there lacks that connection/interaction whilst being thrown in at the deep end. There needs to be a sense of camaraderie I think.

I’m predominantly on the PS4 now. I’ve got Killzone, didn’t enjoy the campaign at all and not played online, pretty much because I didn’t enjoy the single player. I recently played Assassin’s Creed Black Flag and really enjoyed that, but the multiplayer was just a horrible grind. I’ve just finished Battlefield 4 campaign and want to indulge in the multiplayer side of things but I could do with someone’s octogenarian hand to hold I think. I’ve been in the test range in preparation, flying various pieces of metal so that I don’t maim my team mates as soon as I turn the key.

I don't really have a competitive nature but I like to be as good as I can be in anything I put my mind to. I much prefer to be part of a team and work co-operatively against a foe (think Resistance 2 and the Modern Warfare co-op missions) That’s where I get my enjoyment at present. I hope playing with you guys changes that outlook.

Thanks for reading and fire away…

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to SNR mate. You'll find lots of likeminded individuals here. Hope to see you online sometime soon.
And say hello to the Old chaps on the other side for me ;)

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hey Cundalini, welcome to this side :D

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome, @Cundalini :waving:

Great intro BTW, lots of detail there!

I’m 41 and from Devon and it’s occasionally sunny down these parts, but not lately, far from it actually.
Lovely part of the country down there, I've spent a few holidays in the Honiton area and also visiting relatives in Combe Martin. It could be a bit wet at times though!

I’ve been a member with the OAPs for some time but not actively and found out about this site whilst playing GTA 5 with some SNR members, notably Ace and Pede. I guess I’m seeking to be a standard member as, although I don’t don’t hold a strong allegiance, I’d much prefer to interact with people who are on the same wavelength and across the spectrum, if that makes sense?
Another one who has found us via GTA. :) Seems like @Acegadgets has been selling the SNRs well in that area, well either that or he's working some bribery or blackmail scam. :lol: Standard membership is fine, you've got that already by registering and posting. Hopefully you'll find that we're a pretty chilled bunch who game for fun and not for competitiveness and of course, real life comes first.

My gaming history is quite nostalgic, harking back to the wood finish Atari 2600 days. From there it was a dalliance with (in order) an Acorn Electron, Commodore 64, Snes, N64, Gamecube, PS2, PS3 Wii, Wiiu and now the PS4. Some of which were U.S and Jap models so that I didn’t have to wait months for them to come out over here. There are various iterations of Nintendo hand-helds thrown in there too, as well as Game & Watch and the like.
Quite a range of games consoles and PCs there. I started with the Intellivision myself (superb 3D graphics :lol: ) Any particular favourite games on these?

I’d like to play online more now with like-minded souls as there seems to be more emphasis on the multiplayer element at the expense of the single player experience nowadays. Scaling back the story element of first person shooters seems the norm and single player campaigns seem to get shorter and shorter with each release?!
I think that depends on the game. The Last of Us has a great story to it. The online is enjoyable but it's not the best bit of the game. I know what you mean though, I wish with some games they'd focus on the single player and not bother tacking on any multiplayer, whereas other games which are primarily about the online game I wish they'd not bother with the single player which is often short and not that good.

I’m predominantly on the PS4 now. I’ve got Killzone, didn’t enjoy the campaign at all and not played online, pretty much because I didn’t enjoy the single player. I recently played Assassin’s Creed Black Flag and really enjoyed that, but the multiplayer was just a horrible grind. I’ve just finished Battlefield 4 campaign and want to indulge in the multiplayer side of things but I could do with someone’s octogenarian hand to hold I think. I’ve been in the test range in preparation, flying various pieces of metal so that I don’t maim my team mates as soon as I turn the key.
I've only just joined the PS4 revolution, picking mine up on Saturday. I've only played BF4 for about an hour and not tried Killzone yet. There are events for both of these this week so it would be great if you could join us. :)

Anyway, please feel free to have a look around the forums, join in discussions and start any of your own.

I hope to see you online soon, possibly on Wednesday or Friday for KZS and/or BF4. :)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Come play BF4 with us lot, @DrewePeacock has put an event up for this Friday I think. We will refrain from tying your shoe laces together on this occasion and will even hold your hand on the battlefield.

RuddRacer

Casual Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cundalini,
Greetings and welcome,
I am new to SNR (also via GTA V Online) and share your comments regarding playing online/ single player games. I am in Texas so my gaming times are not very common among most members but feel free to add me to your friend list if you are still playing GTA V online. I don't plan on getting a PS4 until I have finished all the PS3 titles I want to play, as slow as I am that could be more than 1 year away.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi @Cundalini nice to see you over here. Ive got :arrow::arrow::arrow::waving:you already on my friends list, which is cool.

As the others have said, feel free to join any of our events. You'd be most welcome.:1thumbup:

Cundalini

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Cheers guys. I'll reply properly after work as I'm nowhere near a computer during the day.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Seniors. Is Ace on commission here? Maybe see you online as our PS4 Killzone sessions are usually pretty entertaining. As Martok said there is one tonight :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Seniors. Is Ace on commission here? Maybe see you online as our PS4 Killzone sessions are usually pretty entertaining. As Martok said there is one tonight :)
@Dogstar has got his days mixed up! Killzone is on tomorrow night (Wednesday), tonight we've got The Last of Us. We still support PS3 games too. :)

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi cundalini, I hadn't realised you were from Devon, you certainly don't sound Devonish.
I don't have a PS 4 yet, I am still playing GTA most nights, if you fancy a game and a chat, the usual SnRs are messing around on it most of the time. At the moment we are creating a lot of home made races and death matches so there is always something new to do.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ola - hopefully catch you in San Andreas!

Cundalini

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Lovely part of the country down there, I've spent a few holidays in the Honiton area and also visiting relatives in Combe Martin. It could be a bit wet at times though!
I pass through Honiton now and again but I'm right on the coast, Torbaydos (The English Rivera, it sounds more grand than it actually is).

Another one who has found us via GTA. :) Seems like @Acegadgets has been selling the SNRs well in that area, well either that or he's working some bribery or blackmail scam.
Yeah Acegadgets is a good ambassador for sure. He certainly struck a cord with me.

Quite a range of games consoles and PCs there. I started with the Intellivision myself (superb 3D graphics :lol: ) Any particular favourite games on these?
I thought I'd give a few favourites from each platform. It's going to have to be a case of searching through an online catalogue of games because the thought of shifting through boxes and cupboards is a bit daunting. so in chronological order....

Atari - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Adventure, Joust, Battlezone, Moon Patrol, Yar's Revenge.

Acorn Electron - I was a big sucker for text adventures back then. Twin Kingdom Valley made a big impression. I think my imagination made up for the lack of good looking games. When text adventures arrived with a graphics screen, well that was it, a pure revelation. Here are a few favs....Chuckie Egg, Elite, Revs, Repton (a boulder dash rip-off but there was a cash prize for finishing it, but when I rang the number, I was two weeks too late)

C64 - The Last Ninja, Beach Head 1, 2 and 3, all the Epyx games (Summer Games, California games etc), Blue Max, Fairlight, Hardball, Impossible Mission, Jack the Nipper, Ikari Warriors, Auf Wiedersehen Monty, Bruce Lee, Silent Service.

Snes - Final Fight, The Legend of Zelda. A Link to the Past, Another World, Shadowrun, Desert Strike, Metroid.

N64 - 1080º, Pilotwings 64, Shadow Man, Turok, Wave Race 64, Goldeneye

Gamecube - Resident Evil 4, Animal Crossing, Killer 7, Pikmin

PS2 - Beyond Good and Evil, Ico, Sky Odyssey, Viewtiful Joe, The Warriors.

I think that depends on the game. The Last of Us has a great story to it. The online is enjoyable but it's not the best bit of the game. I know what you mean though, I wish with some games they'd focus on the single player and not bother tacking on any multiplayer, whereas other games which are primarily about the online game I wish they'd not bother with the single player which is often short and not that good.
I'm going to rock the boat and say that I thought The Last of Us has been the most overrated game in history so far, I still can't believe everyone, but a few of us it seems, rate it highly. I played about a third of it and had to throw in the towel as the gameplay was just average, clunky and just boring. I can't remember when I've ever given up before. The budget seemed to be focussed on the acting and cut scenes, with the actual gameplay being a rehash of better titles that have come before it. I really enjoyed the story though and I ended up watching the ending on youtube to find out why it was so shocking. I've noticed a lot of overrated games on the last generation platform and it's obvious that review sites are being persuaded to write favourable reviews for certain games, but that's for another discussion.

I've only just joined the PS4 revolution, picking mine up on Saturday. I've only played BF4 for about an hour and not tried Killzone yet. There are events for both of these this week so it would be great if you could join us. I hope to see you online soon, possibly on Wednesday or Friday for KZS and/or BF4. :)
It was the advertised battlefield event on Friday that spurred me on to write the introduction actually, so yeah, I’d love to join up for that one thanks. I'm out tomorrow so depending on what time I get in, the session might have already ended.

Hi cundalini, I hadn't realised you were from Devon, you certainly don't sound Devonish.
I don't have a PS 4 yet, I am still playing GTA most nights, if you fancy a game and a chat, the usual SnRs are messing around on it most of the time. At the moment we are creating a lot of home made races and death matches so there is always something new to do.
Hi. Ace. I enjoyed reading your thread on why you won't be buying a PS4 anytime soon and you summed it up nicely. I can't argue with any of that. I'm not sure if I'll be back on GTA any time soon though as I've lent the game out to my nephew.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Joust, Chuckie Egg & ELITE FTW.
Hearing you re TLoU SP!
MP is decent though.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Olla Cundalini and welcome. Hope to catch you online, need to start playing my PS4 so maybe catch you at the next BF4 event

themaskedmarvel

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Hello Cundalini am new here myself,currently embarrassing myself on BF3 and KZshadowfall catch you online