The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Kids TV these days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slaine, 26 Oct 2012.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    :grandpa: :grandpa:
    Just sat down, forced to watch CBeebies and then assorted teen trash like Wizards Of Waverley, Hannah Montanna etc, and it got me thinking. Todays childrens tv is shit. Obviously this doesnt include Dr Who, but then the appeal is universal so one could argue its not a childrens program per se.

I started to remember all the gems I used to watch; Battle Of The Planets, Monkey, The Water Margin, Planet Of The Apes tv series, Batman (the tv series with Adam West), The Adventure Game. Then of course in the cinema you had Flash Gordon, Star Wars, Dirty Harry, The Long Good Friday, any cowboy film with Clint Eastwood etc etc (my parents were very liberal minded). Even the latter years my younger brother was spoilt with He-Man, Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors, Transformers, The Crystal Maze, more Star Wars films etc. But now. Now theres nothing but crap. I know Im an adult and its not made for me anymore, but even my parents could see the appeal of the stuff I liked when I was younger. But the stuff being churned out now is just awful. And not just the girls stuff; I'd hate to be a boy right now. Sure you've got gaming consoles, the net, iCrap etc, but you've also got bugger all worth watching on tv for you anymore.

Children of the world I weep for you. And theyre real tears too, as my tv is currently showing iCarly :( :cry:

2. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    I miss the Looney Tunes, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Ren and Stimpy, the Tick etc. etc. Those where the days ;)

3. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Casual Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    BUCKAROO74
    The Adventure game. Gahhhghgh, I've been trying to think what that was for years. Thank you, I can lay that ghost to rest.

4. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I have a 22 month old so I watch, Fireman Sam, Sponge bob, Dora, Thomas and Friends, Ben and Holly, peppa pig and Phineas and Ferb :)

I also recorded Tron Uprising for myself along with Family Guy and American Dad

5. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Mr Slaine, not a good comparison , the stuff you mention is for the very young, dont think a 3 year old would like dirty harry and could well be a bit frightened of Planet of the apes and even doctor who.
    When I were a lad the pre school kids had Andy Pandy and Magic roundabout. I reckon the likes of spongebob and Thomas the tank Engine are a hell of a lot better.

6. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    If you think about it ALL TV is crap nowadays, I literally watch just 2 programmes, Person of Interest (which has just started a mid season break, WTF?) and Hunted on a Thursday. Oh and the GP's when they are on.

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Well I like loads of shows

Terra Nova (Cancelled)
    Prime Suspect USA (Cancelled)
    Alcatraz (Cancelled)
    New Girl
    Franklin & Bash
    Grimm
    Elementary
    A Gifted Man
    Hawaii 5-0
    Alphas
    Suits
    The Walking Dead
    Red Dwarf
    Modern Family
    Preception
    The Arrow

The shows above have filled my V+ and TiVo boxes I also watch loads more but too many to list lol

With the likes of Sky & Virgin having so many channels I think most people miss Most shows i use a site called http://www.geektown.co.ukwhich shows airing dates I am the UK very handy :)

8. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Your not watching the right kids stuff Slaine. Mini Shroud and I sit down to delights such as:

Tinga Tinga Tales
    Raa Raa the Noisey Lion
    Tales of Friendship with Winnie the Pooh
    Jake and the Neverland Pirates (love that Hot Lava song)

Not to mention the ones I enjoy watching, which Mini Shroud sometimes joins me on:

Star Wars the Clone Wars
    Kung Fu Panda
    The Amazing Spiderman
    Young Justice
    New TMNT
    The Mighty Avengers

There is a lot of crap out there, but didn't we have the same when we were younsters, like Cities of Gold and Dogtanian. Absolutely awful cartoons.

9. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    TV is horrendous at the best of times. I don't know how my sister copes having to watch the likes of In the Night Garden, "Peppa Pig" and stuff like that.
    I never used to watch a lot of TV as a child as I have a large family with loads of cousins around may age so we used to be out on bikes, climbing trees, exploring etc (what can I say they are mostly all boys). What I do remember was Fraggle Rock, Sylvester the Cat, Tom & Jerry, Terrahawks, Thunderbirds, Danger Mouse etc
    Maybe I'm biased but they were definitely better than the stuff that is on nowadays.

10. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I managed to get the little ones in to Tom & Jerry and Laurel & Hardy. But its the teen programs that are sooo bad. That Wizards Of Waverly Place is just awful. My wife has to keep all the sharp knifes away from me when its on in case I hurt myself. But theres just nothing for the lads (with the exception of the Clone Wars). The new Spiderman cartoons are just bad, and have nothing in common with the comics.

11. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    What!

No mention of the Banana splits or The double deckers :o

Standards really are slipping :D

12. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Lest we forget how good they are!

Didnt realise that the show started in 1965 and finished in 1971. Seems just like yesterday.

13. roger947

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    There were so many TV shows on a saturday morning that i really looked forward to.

The flashing blade, robinson crusoe, white horses, Casey Jones etc, but one theme tune really sticks out for me and that was from a programme called Belle and Sebastien.
    Not 100% (it was a long time ago) but i'm sure it was about a boy and his dog :?

14. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    For Roger ;)

I forgot about Banana Splits and Double Deckers too!! Flipper, Zorro, Champion The Wonderhorse, Lassie, The Lone Ranger. I loved the Abbott & Costello films.

I watched a bit of the new Blue Peter yesterday. Even my kids got bored of it and left very quickly. :roll:

15. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Some of the 80s cartoons to help us all reminisce:

16. roger947

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    Noooooooooo!

Not that poop :x

The programme i'm thinking of was black and white and had real actors.

Not that crap you just posted.

Oh! and the theme tune was some young boy singing in french.

17. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    You'll be thinking of Belle et S├ębastien, the live action version made in the 1960s.

18. roger947

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    Cheers Martok :thumbup:

My day is now complete :bow:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice