XBOne Joined the Dark Side

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So instead of buying myself an Easter Egg, I got myself an Xbox One.
Mainly as I wanted the Kinect. Thought it would be fun for my niece and better at tracking body movements for fitness games.
So far I'm not remotely impressed. The XMB is horrendous. Cluttered and hard to find stuff. The download speeds are totally dire. I've got it hooked up wired, made sure all the required ports on my router are open (I've an open NAT). However, even though I have super fast fibre it's only downloading at and average of 8.83Mbps. Taken nearly all day just to download Zoo Tycoon and Dance Central Spotlight. Currently on Kinect Sports Rivals which might download by tonight if I'm lucky (those are the three games I got with the bundle).
Oh, and it's the size of a small country with a power brick larger than my car and it takes about 5 days to load up as well. I can't see how you put it in standby (I'm sure you could put the 360 in standby while downloading games and then it would automatically shut down?).
The only thing I've found impressive is you can just say "Xbox - Use a Code" and can scan in the QR thingy with the Kinect. Saves a lot of time that.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it really this bad? Also a bit grumpy that "My Stuff" is right at the bottom of the home screen, I want them at the top goddammit! Pins are supposed to be easily accessible, not take 10 days to find at the bottom of the page.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So instead of buying myself an Easter Egg, I got myself an Xbox One.
Mainly as I wanted the Kinect. Thought it would be fun for my niece and better at tracking body movements for fitness games.
So far I'm not remotely impressed. The XMB is horrendous. Cluttered and hard to find stuff. The download speeds are totally dire. I've got it hooked up wired, made sure all the required ports on my router are open (I've an open NAT). However, even though I have super fast fibre it's only downloading at and average of 8.83Mbps. Taken nearly all day just to download Zoo Tycoon and Dance Central Spotlight. Currently on Kinect Sports Rivals which might download by tonight if I'm lucky (those are the three games I got with the bundle).
Oh, and it's the size of a small country with a power brick larger than my car and it takes about 5 days to load up as well. I can't see how you put it in standby (I'm sure you could put the 360 in standby while downloading games and then it would automatically shut down?).
The only thing I've found impressive is you can just say "Xbox - Use a Code" and can scan in the QR thingy with the Kinect. Saves a lot of time that.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it really this bad? Also a bit grumpy that "My Stuff" is right at the bottom of the home screen, I want them at the top goddammit! Pins are supposed to be easily accessible, not take 10 days to find at the bottom of the page.
I'm well into playing around with the Kinect - there were some awesome applications of it at the exhibition but I'll be picking it up to plug into a computer rather than console. :)

Not belittling the xbone btw - each to their own but having recently been initiated to the xbox, I do agree re size & power supply. Sony designed well.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Xbone has two power down phases. The first is a complete shutdown which takes ages to boot back up.
The second has to be selected in the settings, so once enabled it semi powers down and boots up almost instantly. This is the mode you want for background downloads.
The power brick is quite a lump isn't it? And I hate the UI with a passion. The backwards capability is quite the engineering feat.
I only bought it for Gears Of War and Halo. Sometimes I wish I bought a Wii U. My son gave his away to his baby sister today, which meant I got try it for the first time ever. Very overpriced. And £50 for a controller which is a blatant rip off the Cbox one. And dont get me started on the games. £20 for a digital Minecraft.
This generation really is the last time I buy into both. No need for two consoles at all.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Xbone has two power down phases. The first is a complete shutdown which takes ages to boot back up.
The second has to be selected in the settings, so once enabled it semi powers down and boots up almost instantly. This is the mode you want for background downloads.
The power brick is quite a lump isn't it? And I hate the UI with a passion. The backwards capability is quite the engineering feat.
I only bought it for Gears Of War and Halo. Sometimes I wish I bought a Wii U. My son gave his away to his baby sister today, which meant I got try it for the first time ever. Very overpriced. And £50 for a controller which is a blatant rip off the Cbox one. And dont get me started on the games. £20 for a digital Minecraft.
This generation really is the last time I buy into both. No need for two consoles at all.
So I really don't want to be putting it into the semi powered down state and turning it off at the plug then? As I never leave anything in standby. It has actually downloaded everything for me now, I eventually got about 15Mbps download speeds.
I've got a few backward compatible games actually showing in my list. They must have been the ones I "bought" when I had Xbox Gold on the 360. Tom Clancy Rainbow 6 Vegas, AC II, Fable III, Gears of War and a few Xbox Arcade games I've never heard of. This months Xbox 360 free game is Borderlands which is backwards compatible so I've just "bought" that one as well.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I put it in the semi state all the time. TBH I still generally unplug so no idea why I bother as it then takes the age to boot up.

Wish the ps4 was backwards compatible, and not that overpriced playstation now nonsense. Very good, but so expensive.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I put it in the semi state all the time. TBH I still generally unplug so no idea why I bother as it then takes the age to boot up.

Wish the ps4 was backwards compatible, and not that overpriced playstation now nonsense. Very good, but so expensive.
PS Now?

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah its the game rental streaming service. Works brilliantly with no install at all. But very overpriced.
Ah yeah. Haven't tried that yet.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You can get a 7 day free trial. Not tried it yet. My shelf of shame is bigger than a DVD rental shop.
Aye. I've got a full 100 spindle of ps3 games unfinished. Other than showing ox off The Last Of Us on the ps4, I don't really see the point until they introduce ps4 titles...