The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Jeremy McGrath's Offroad

Discussion in 'Sport and Motorsport' started by jonnywombat, 14 Apr 2013.

1. jonnywombat

jonnywombat Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    jonnywombat
    Jeremy McGarth is a motocross rider of some note, so you may be forgiven for thinking that this is a motocross game, but it is not.

This is a rally game, but with heavy emphasis on the buggy and truck racing popular with our cousins across the pond. There are no licenced vehicles as such, all are generic in type, the only difference being the livery you select.

Once you buy the game from PSN, getting a couple of coppers change from £9, and download it's 1.2 GB file, and fire it up you are met with arcade mode, career mode, and online multiplayer.

I chose the career option. You start off in buggys, and work your way through 23 races, across 7 tracks, and 5 vehicle types. There are 3 difficulty levels, the default medium level is ok to start with, but most players would probably find more of a challenge at the higher level.

When you first get out on track you are struck by how good the tracks look, they are excellently crafted, the only criticism for me is that the car sometimes appears to be floating above the track, rather than on it.

The cars handle well, and feel good from the outset, easy enough for a novice, a little on the arcade side, but enough control to reward a deft touch. There are 3 default tuning settings, which cannot be customised, although you will only use one.
    Unfortunately there is little or no difference in feeling between the varying vehicle types.

Progression through career mode is swift, It is 23 races, which can be completed in less than 2 hours, with all wins, But even with this rapid progression the lack of cars and tracks make it a little repetitive. Everything you do earns xp, and xp can be spent on upgrades to your car, although this system is very basic, but it's effective.

The online mode would be a hoot, with a group of friends, and this is were any longevity in this game might lie, however when I tried out the online mode I was unable to find any rooms to play in.

So in short, this is a sweet looking rally game, with nice handling, but single player lacks longevity, with limited cars, but the killer is the lack of tracks

The official website is here

Slaine and ChrissPeacock like this.
  2. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    That actually looks very good. I would have been tempted to buy it if others on here were into it so that we could play online. However with DIRT showdown being fairly similar and the fact that Showdown is so cheap I think i'll wait to see if that will attract a few into a race room.
    We also have Grid 2 due in a few weeks which is the full monty.

3. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    I have it on my Xbox 360 and I have 100% of the achievements.

May get the PS3 version and do the same,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice