• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Item drops from enemies in PvE

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
OK so I had a theory about how this mechanic works last night and I may be coming towards an answer here.

I had wondered as have probably many people why, when in a firefight you go to an area that your teammates have been clearing and there's no items on the ground, not even ammo drops.

Further testing required to get a proper definition here but it seems that items drop from enemies that die while on your screen, and you gain experience points and currency if they die whilst on your screen.....I think there must be some form of proximity involved too otherwise you could easily miss out on stuff from a boss if you're not looking at them when they die.

Anyway if you're in a busy area with lots of other players fighting, if you can see their fight you will get item drops, including the elusive engrams!

I tested this last night with the cave of wonders in the cosmodrome after noticing that an engram seemed to drop from an enemy that was killed while I was reloading....sure enough you can just sit back and watch the cave of wonders from a distance and if other players are in the area killing enemies in there then you'll get item drops.

I also backed up to somewhere nice and high when things kicked off in the area and it got swarmed by fallen and hive....again sure enough I got engrams dropping without me firing a single bullet!

Worth knowing me thinks

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah, @Skarpar sneakily mentioned that here:
Or just sit your character next to the silly campers and go get a coffee (or snack/wine/etc) and pop back every so often to pick up your ill-gotten loot :D
But thanks for confirming @ColSonders , I might just abuse this while preparing dinner, doing groceries or whatever keeps me away from the PS.
Easy spoils of war are always welcome.

Edit: hm, just need to verify the auto disconnect timeout for inactivity

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Further testing required to get a proper definition here but it seems that items drop from enemies that die while on your screen, and you gain experience points and currency if they die whilst on your screen.....I think there must be some form of proximity involved too otherwise you could easily miss out on stuff from a boss if you're not looking at them when they die.
I originally thought that the exp+glimmer gain was limited to fire teams until I was solo running last night on Mars & Venus and kept getting glimmer with out lifting a finger.

Edit: The Earth farming sector might be a good test area, plonk yourself on a roof (in a safe area) near one of the enemy spawning/kill locations, make note our your current exp/glimmer and wait....

Last edited:

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I originally thought that the exp+glimmer gain was limited to fire teams until I was solo running last night on Mars & Venus and kept getting glimmer with out lifting a finger.
I have also noticed this as well. I definitely know that you can get glimmer, but not really noticed the exp. I would say that you probably will do, but it just may be a small amount.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You absolutely do get both glimmer and experience if things are killed on your screen.

I just need to know if you also get it when in close proximity....

GusGorman

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If you park at the Cave of Lazy Buggers and do nothing you get Glimmer, XP and Engrams. If you move every 15 mins you can do this ad infinitum. However, I wouldn't recommend being AFK when it kicks off...

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I just need to know if you also get it when in close proximity....
I seem to remember seeing a few people waiting to be revived on the Earth farming section, the next question is... can I be dead and still receive glimmer, etc... or do I need to be alive and kicking?

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Alright, confirmed for myself. Prepping dinner while remotely on the Vita with occasionally moving got me a couple of greens and about 6 blue engrams. Also had 2 public events.
The revenue isn't much for an hour though, and I don't like the controls on the Vita, so a one time thing for me.
Still, nice that you can.

Don't know about being dead