The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Mobile Introducing the redesigned PlayStation App and new PS4 Second Screen App

Discussion in 'Hardware & Other Games' started by Martok, 10 Nov 2017.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Get the new PlayStation and PS4 Second Screen Apps now from Google Play and Apple App Store

Over the last few years we’ve made a number of changes to our family of Apps, as part of an ongoing mission to help our players get the most out of their PS4 – whether at home or on the go.

In this spirit, we are pleased to announce that the PlayStation App has a new, improved altogether more intuitive design, making it easier than ever to stay connected to your PS4, friends, and the games you love to play.

For instance, new tabs at the bottom of the screen make it easier and faster to switch between viewing who’s online, checking notifications, and keeping up with the latest activities and posts from your friends and the PlayStation community.

[​IMG]

The updated interface also features a new central PS button, which is similar to the well-received PS4 Quick Menu, which ensures the Apps key features are never more than a touch away.

From the PS Button menu you’ll have instant access to a whole host of features, from browsing the PS Store and remotely managing PS4 downloads to checking out upcoming events.

For a more seamless experience between our family of Apps, you can also access PlayStation Messages (Apple Store / Google Play), PlayStation Communities (Apple Store / Google Play) and the all new PS4 Second Screen App (Apple Store / Google Play) via the PS Button menu too.

[​IMG]

For a more bespoke, tailored user experience the PS4 Second Screen now has its own dedicated App too (Apple Store / Google Play). Accessible via the PS Apps quick menu, you can use PS4 Second Screen to navigate your PS4’s menu, use the on-screen keyboard and even view extra content in compatible games, such as map and radars.

If you don’t already have PS App installed in your mobile devices, it’s free to download through the App Store on iOS 9.0 or later and through Google Play on Android 4.1 or later.

[​IMG]

Let us know what you think of the new design in the comments plus what other features you’d like added, and keep your eyes peeled for future news about how we’ll be continuing to improve the App.

Source: Introducing the redesigned PlayStation App and new PS4 Second Screen App

IamNumber6, zoob and NVranya like this.
  2. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    I don't like the update. I'm also getting annoyed at all the separate apps that you have to download to access different features.

Grooooog and zoob like this.
  3. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    It's all a bit FaceBook really...

4. NVranya

NVranya Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    I actually like it. Separate apps prevents one large slow bloating app, and can focus on the core of what it's meant to do.
    I also consider the new "PS button" as quick menu a nice improvement over previous versions.

What I don't like is that a new app like this doesn't utilize 100% of my screen and uses a black bar on top to enforce "standard" dimensions.

Grooooog, Martok and IamNumber6 like this.
  5. Grooooog

Grooooog Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Grooooog360
    This!

Although I agree with NVranya, I still don't like that I need 3 Apps for my PS needs.

I can kind of agree to that with feature hungry apps like second screen, but really Sony, you cannot build Messages and Communities into the main app? It's text messages with some screenshots and a very crappy BBS system, where you have to read the threads from below. It's not Facebook messenger with Videochat and whatever.

6. HughJoystick

HughJoystick Occasional Gamer

PSN:
    HughJoystick
    What is the Second Screen for?

I assumed it was to have the game screen on if the telly wasnt available for whatever reason and you could still play with the controller without the balls up of trying to register it to the device mid-game. But it never worked, it only ever showed a grey screen with share and options like the layout on the controller.

the only way i could get a 'second screen' was to use Remote Play which was hit and miss connecting to the PS4 from 3 inches away and connecting the controller after about 20 're-tries'

ended up never using them again. they were harder to use than they needed to be.

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    According to the Google Play store description for this:

So not much really unless any games have second screen support.

8. HughJoystick

HughJoystick Occasional Gamer

PSN:
    HughJoystick
    so its just a secondary input device, not a second screen? :(

9. NVranya

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    As said, depends on the game, I'm not sure, but I think both Battlefield as MSGV can use second screen for map display and I thought I read somewhere that Wolfenstein uses it for health/ammo display.

But I don't think there are lots of games supporting it.

10. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    I thought the MGSV map was a separate app, much like the Playlink titles?

11. Grooooog

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Grooooog360
    You have to differenciate between Second Screen (Additional Info like on the WiiU tablet) and Remote Play, which is a mirror of your PS4 screen incl inputs.
    Second Screen is a Sony implementation, there are also other developers who use own apps.

12. Grooooog

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Grooooog360
    PS_Messages_20171208_103652.jpg

Remote play: The screen of the PS4 systems can be displayed on this system and you can operate the PS4 here at this system
    Second Screen: If you play a game on the PS4 which supports a second screen, you can use this system as a second screen for you PS4

So, like the WiiU with selected games.

13. NVranya

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    NVranya
    Could be my mistake then. I know Fallout had it's own pipboy app.

zoob likes this.
  14. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Or it could be both! :)
    Screenshot_20171208-101636.png

NVranya likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice