• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Introducing: Project Morpheus

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Greetings from GDC 2014! Earlier this evening, I had the pleasure to introduce Project Morpheus, SCE’s prototype virtual reality(VR) system that works with PlayStation®4 (PS4™). Virtual reality is the next innovation from SCE that we believe will shape the future of games.

I have long dreamed about VR and the possibilities it brings in regards to game development. This new technology will deliver a sense of presence, where you as the player actually feel like you’re inside the game and your emotions feel that much more real.

Our current prototype for Project Morpheus features a head mounted display with 1080p resolution and a 90 degree field of view. Accelerometer and gyroscope sensors built into the head mounted unit as well as PlayStation®Camera accurately tracks head orientation and movement, so as your head rotates, the image of the virtual world rotates intuitively in real-time. Project Morpheus also features our new 3D audio technology that re-creates stereoscopic sounds in all directions and changes in real-time depending on your head orientation. In addition to PlayStation Camera, Project Morpheus works with DUALSHOCK®4 Wireless Controller and PlayStation®Move to deliver an easy-to-use, plug-and-play VR experience.

The prototype for Project Morpheus is the culmination of our work over the last 3+ years as we’ve refined our vision for VR. This prototype will serve as the first development kit for PS4 developers that are as enthusiastic about this new medium as we are.

At GDC 2014 this week, attendees will be able to check out Project Morpheus in action at the SCEA booth through a handful of technology demos.

Sauce.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
sounds sexy, but morpheus, really a bit heavy with the Matrix references there, or they connecting with the god of the underworld. Oh well I will be interested to see how well it copes with those of us wearing glasses and whether it generates motion sickness and migraines. I think it will be a minority device this gen, but next gen it will be huge.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oh well I will be interested to see how well it copes with those of us wearing glasses and whether it generates motion sickness and migraines..
I doubt it'll cope with users who wear glasses well.

The motion sickness is basically unavoidable unless they have a very large gap around the edges where you can still see the real world around you....which partially defeats the purpose.

Interesting though, my concern is gonna be the price point, as amazing as the experience could be I would like to see this with a reasonable price point, maybe just a couple hundred quid and it'd be HUGE if implemented into games well, anything more than that and I don't think it'll sell well enough for developers to implement it.....unless Sony create a patch that can make it work with all 3D games.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It will have to work very well and have games that work really well for it, if it isnt silky smooth and ultra precise its not worth having. So far motion control hasnt really taken off for the reasons I just gave and VR has to overcome some of the same hurdles.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I find it interesting, but as a fellow gamer with rubbish eyes, I doubt it will be for me. Stupid glasses.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I knew the camera could end up becoming an essential purchase. My only concerns are the cost and level of support. I hear Microsoft are bring a VR offering too, although I hear its more augemented reality rather than virtual. If they enter into it too, then it could usher in a new age of gaming.

Im excited!!:D

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Here's a little more info...

Sony has released full details outlining it’s Project Morpheus PS4 virtual reality headset’s specs including screen type and resolutio, Move integration and “3D audio technology uniquely developed by SCE”

Project Morpheus PS4 Virtual Reality head set full specs
The screen is s 5 inch LCD with a resolution described as “1920×RGB×1080 (960×RGB×1080 per eye)” and a 90 degree field of view. The unit packs in an accelerometer, gyroscope and a USB interface. There’s also an HDMI, possibly so you can watch films on it.

The release also mentions how you can “use a PlayStation Move Motion Controller as an object, such as a sword” with the headset. Using the camera it can track Morpheus, a controller and a Move.The unit also uses a “3D audio technology uniquely developed by SCE”. This apparently “re-creates stereoscopic sounds heard from below and above the players, such as footsteps climbing up stairs below them, or engine noises of helicopters flying overhead”. It adds that “sounds that players hear change in real-time depending on their head orientation, creating a highly realistic audio environment within an immersive 360-degree virtual world”.

Exciting. Here’s the full release from Sony:

Tokyo, March 19, 2014 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced the development of “Project Morpheus” (Morpheus) − a virtual reality (VR) system that takes the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) system to the next level of immersion and demonstrates the future of gaming. SCE will continue development of Morpheus looking towards a future commercial launch.

“At SCE we view innovation as an opportunity to build on our mission to push the boundaries of play,” said Shuhei Yoshida, President of SCE Worldwide Studios. “Project Morpheus is the latest example of innovation from SCE, and we’re looking forward to it continued development and the games that will be created as development kits get into the hands of content creators.”

Morpheus enables developers to create experiences that deliver a sense of presence – where players feel as though they are physically inside the virtual world of a game. Presence is like a window into another world that heightens the emotions gamers experience as they play. Morpheus features a visor style head-mounted display and works seamlessly with PlayStation®Camera to deliver a unique VR experience right before the player’s eyes. Inertial sensors built into the head mount unit and PlayStation Camera accurately track head orientation and movement so as the player’s head rotates, the image of the virtual world rotates naturally and intuitively in real-time. Furthermore, in supporting games, the player can use a PlayStation®Move (PS Move) Motion Controller as an object, such as a sword. Morpheus will reproduce the player’s hands and sword within the game so the player feels like they are physically fighting off enemies with their sword in the virtual world.

Morpheus adopts 3D audio technology uniquely developed by SCE. In addition to sounds coming from front, behind, left and right, Morpheus re-creates stereoscopic sounds heard from below and above the players, such as footsteps climbing up stairs below them, or engine noises of helicopters flying overhead. Sounds that players hear change in real-time depending on their head orientation, creating a highly realistic audio environment within an immersive 360-degree virtual world.

Along with PlayStation Camera, Wireless Controller for PS4, and PS Move, Morpheus will deliver immersive breakthrough entertainment experiences to gamers through the PS4 system, leveraging SCE’s expertise across key areas for VR – including display/optics, audio, tracking, control, ease of use, and content.

Developers will be able to create Morpheus content for PS4, a platform which has sold over 6 million units only after 3 months and a half of its launch, and is continuing to show strong momentum. The Morpheus dedicated SDK is currently under development and will become available when ready.

During the Game Developers Conference 2014 held in San Francisco from March 19 through March 21, attendees can visit the Sony Computer Entertainment America booth to have a hands-on experience with Morpheus, which will be exhibited for reference. Attendees can enjoy exclusive technology demo such asEVE Valkyrie (CCP), a multiplayer dogfighting shooter that uses virtual reality to give the player the sense of being a real pilot in an EVE Online spaceship, Thief (SQUARE ENIX Co., LTD.), which allows players to explore the dark shadowy world of the stealth action title, “The Castle” (SCE) that shows various VR interactions utilizing PS Move,and “The Deep” (SCE), where players can observe the waters from inside a shark proof cage.

Specifications of “Project Morpheus” Prototype

ComponentProcessor unit, head-mounted unit
Display MethodLCD
Panel Size5 inches
Panel Resolution1920×RGB×1080 (960×RGB×1080 per eye)
Field of View90 degrees
SensorsAccelerometer, Gyroscope
Connection interfaceHDMI + USB
Function3D audio, Social Screen
*Specifications and designs are those of the prototype and are subject to change.

Saucy.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I imagine the price would be less on the cheap side, so for me personally I would like to try it before I buy it, and ensure that there is sufficient future support/development for it.

I'll admit to running off and buying the motion controller, and the KZ gun attachment. Plus the various cameras in past Playstations. For them only to dwindle in anything for them fairly quickly. Spending £30 on a motion controller is one thing, guessing this would be a lot more expensive for it to just sit and gather dust after a couple of months.

So although I'm excited by this, I'm not entirely convinced.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah cost is a big issue here, if its decent money you need a truly killer app to justify the price, because they are unlikely to be a casual purchase.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Brought up in the office today, seemingly a price tag of around the $1000 mark.

So that's a big fail.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Brought up in the office today, seemingly a price tag of around the $1000 mark.

So that's a big fail.
Oops if no-one buys it, no-one will make games for it, so no-one will buy it and ever onwards.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oops if no-one buys it, no-one will make games for it, so no-one will buy it and ever onwards.
Yup, exactly the problem.

Well that and the Oculus Rift is available for £400, albeit only the 720p version not the 1080p one.

I know there's a lot of tech involved but I can't see many people paying more for a headset than they would for a full blown TV.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
For me, anything more than £200 would be a big no from me. I get the impression they want this to have mass market appeal, so I cant see them charging too much, as you need a ps4 and a camera to play straight from the off too.

TheFerret

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
I am a sucker for new tech. As others have already mentioned, if they do not get the price right they may as well chuck in the towel now.

£200 Seems about right. You can bet they will try and charge at least twice that to start.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Don't think this will be for me. I can't play 3D games without my eyes going funny and wanting to vomit so I'll probably give it a miss.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Don't think this will be for me. I can't play 3D games without my eyes going funny and wanting to vomit so I'll probably give it a miss.
Is that the glasses or the wine though?

As for price, I think they should take a look at the First Person View (FPV) goggles they have out for RC flying things. Some of those have motion sensors built in so by moving your head you also pan or tilt the camera gimble. And it's wireless so it already has all the basic features, just needs to talk to the PS4. At $409US I'm sure the big boys could produce it cheaper.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__49419__FatShark_Attitude_V2_FPV_Headset_System_w_Trinity_Head_Tracker_and_CMOS_Camera.html

Will wait and see.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is that the glasses or the wine though?

As for price, I think they should take a look at the First Person View (FPV) goggles they have out for RC flying things. Some of those have motion sensors built in so by moving your head you also pan or tilt the camera gimble. And it's wireless so it already has all the basic features, just needs to talk to the PS4. At $409US I'm sure the big boys could produce it cheaper.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__49419__FatShark_Attitude_V2_FPV_Headset_System_w_Trinity_Head_Tracker_and_CMOS_Camera.html

Will wait and see.
Yeah but those fatshark headsets don't have high quality screens....and they are massively overpriced for what they are because there's no real competitor.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
On the PC side of things Sixense has come up with STEM system, a wireless, motion tracking platform for video games. You too can now be a jedi :ugeek:

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I just played a bit of Half-Life 2 with the Oculus Rift 2 which a coworker brought along.
I can just say... wow.... even with some incorrect settings and a bit low resolution, still... wow.... :o

Now I'm 99.9% sure I'll get Morpheus for my PS4 when it's out! :2thumbsup: