I don't know where to begin....

Balr14

Newbie Gamer
Reaction score
I am 70 years old and have been gaming since Pong. I have been involved in game development and modding for many years. I have created many mods, levels, models, textures sets, etc. I have worked on Quake 2, Quake 3, Halflife, Halflife 2, Heretic 2, Medal of Honor and other games. I am on the developers advisory boards for several game developers. I still get requests for texture sets I created 20 years ago.

I play XBox 360 and PC games; sorry no PS3 games. I would not have joined here if I could have found a more suitable website. Anyway, my reason for joining is simple. I've lost the people I used to game with and I'm too old and slow to compete against the general gaming population. I'm still a pretty good "second fiddle" in co-op games, but I'm a lot better with a keyboard and mouse than with a game controller. Again, I'm much to slow for most gamers. My favorite games are Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Battlefield 2 and a few other co-op games. I also have a ton of custom DM levels and mods for 2 - 4 players for the old MOHAA PC game. I can create HL2 and CoD custom levels pretty quickly, too.

So, if there are any other old gamers who might be interested in playing with an "antique", I'm available most nights after 9:00 pm (CDT).

Thanks for taking the time to read.

mrdjmo

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum I'm on steam add me

Balr14

Newbie Gamer
Reaction score
I will be happy to do so tonight, on my home PC. Right now, I'm on my work PC.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi @Balr14 welcome to the site. Most of us are Playstation gamers here, but theres a few here with Xboxs and game on PCs. Any plans on joining the next gen of consoles?

Anyway sorry for the short reply. On the wifes tablet and she wants it back!!!

Balr14

Newbie Gamer
Reaction score
I am never an early adopter of anything. I'm sure it will be at least a year before I consider a new console.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the site!
I have an xbox and Steam so feel free to add me to those. My main console of choice is the PS3 though so I haven't got an awful lot of games for xbox and PC. Might have a game in common there somewhere though!

You reference CDT, I take it you are stateside then?

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome & Damn, I almost wishedi had an xbox now or pc to try out some of your Mods!

Portal2 & UT3 levels are both ps3 (& mac in the former case) friendly...

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi @Balr14! Welcome to the site! Take a chair and pull up a glass. :drinks:

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to SNR @Balr14. Make yourself at home.
PS3 is my one and only gaming system, so I'll unlikely see you online. Hopefully it will be made up on these here forums ;). Speaking of which, how did you find us? Always interesting to know how and where our (fairly) new community is located.

Balr14

Newbie Gamer
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Here was my last major mod for Medal of Honor. Remember this was done in 2004: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hell-in-the-pacific-total-conversion

I also have Gunfight at the OK Corral, Mountain cable cars you travel up and down in a death match, a Philippine village with a trolley you have to stop from getting to the other teams depot, a mill on a river with attacking dogs, Eastern ruins with traps and secrets, two asteroids with space shuttles to travel between them with laser weapons, a Borg map, Halflife Ewok village in the trees and a bunch of other stuff. We added flame throwers to MOH and crap on a pointed stick that gives you an infection you die slowly from.

We used to have a lot of fun with all of these mods. But, my playmates have disappeared over the years.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Here was my last major mod for Medal of Honor. Remember this was done in 2004: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hell-in-the-pacific-total-conversion

I also have Gunfight at the OK Corral, Mountain cable cars you travel up and down in a death match, a Philippine village with a trolley you have to stop from getting to the other teams depot, a mill on a river with attacking dogs, Eastern ruins with traps and secrets, two asteroids with space shuttles to travel between them with laser weapons, a Borg map, Halflife Ewok village in the trees and a bunch of other stuff. We added flame throwers to MOH and crap on a pointed stick that gives you an infection you die slowly from.

We used to have a lot of fun with all of these mods. But, my playmates have disappeared over the years.
I still have my copies of MOH Allied Assault with Breakthrough and Spearhead expansion packs. Those mods look like they are for AA? I think MOH was pretty much my first foray into online gaming. Used to love it, I remember one night I was on server with only one other person. Never met this person before but it somehow ended up that we'd meet in a certain location and then have a pistol whipping fight. Was hilarious. It has always annoyed me that the PS3 versions never had pistol whipping In them

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi Balr, You sound like a really interesting guy, and I'd love to chat/play online with you. Unfortunetly I am getting up for work when you are settling down to play online. Five hours time difference is a bit of a problem for most SNR's as we are pretty much all around 5 - 6 hours ahead of you . Do you ever get to play during your daytime?
I mainly play on the PS3, but do play a few PC games and will probably be gettiing BF 4 on PC pretty soon.

Balr14

Newbie Gamer
Reaction score
MOHAA was one of the last shooters that was practical to create new levels for, unless you were working with a very large team. After that, the games just got too large to make creating new maps practical. Working alone, one good BF2 map (for example) could take 6 months. The game was basically obsolete by then. A decent set of textures for one map, in today's games, could take a year. I have worked with newer games, but I just don't have the time or incentive, needed to devote to it.

BTW, my entire MOHAA "Hell in the Pacific" team was offered jobs by EA. Several members went on to create Red Orchestra.

If you have the original MOHAA, you may remember an add-on death match map named Prado. It was the first real add-on map for MOHAA and caused quite a sensation. Nobody else knew how the engine worked or that a guy who was almost 60 (this was 2001) would be the one doing it. Over the years, that map had over 1m downloads and still echos around the internet.

By the way, sometimes I play games during the day. I only work part-time and often it's from home.