• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Vita I bought myself a Vita

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seems like a nice bit of kit, haven't got a clue what im doing with it yet :think::D

Went on something that shows people in the local area (think it was called "near") and @Slaine showed up on there :shock::D

Ive stuck Zen Pinball 2 on it as I have all the table I got on the PS3 for free which was nice :woot:
and I bought Uncharted Golden Abyss which looks pretty good so far. :1thumbup:

So is there anything that I should get/look out for ? any must haves?

Is it worthwhile me getting a Sim Card for it ?

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seems like a nice bit of kit, haven't got a clue what im doing with it yet :think::D

Went on something that shows people in the local area (think it was called "near") and @Slaine showed up on there :shock::D

Ive stuck Zen Pinball 2 on it as I have all the table I got on the PS3 for free which was nice :woot:
and I bought Uncharted Golden Abyss which looks pretty good so far. :1thumbup:

So is there anything that I should get/look out for ? any must haves?

Is it worthwhile me getting a Sim Card for it ?
What do you mean you bought Uncharted, that's free on PS+ man! Go get yourself a PS+ sub, there are a few Vita games there at the moment. Gravity Rush, UNCHARTED GOLDEN ABYSS, PixelJunk Monsters and As Smart As

By SIM card do you mean for a data plan as you have a 3G version? If so I'd say probably not. I just tether mine to my mobile phone and I rarely ever do that.
If you mean a memory card then you need one to save game data on for the majority of games (all of them probably), so you need to go and get one, get the biggest you can afford as 8gb doesn't store much at all. I have a 8 and 16gb card and they are both full!

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What do you mean you bought Uncharted, that's free on PS+ man! Go get yourself a PS+ sub, there are a few Vita games there at the moment. Gravity Rush, UNCHARTED GOLDEN ABYSS, PixelJunk Monsters and As Smart As

By SIM card do you mean for a data plan as you have a 3G version? If so I'd say probably not. I just tether mine to my mobile phone and I rarely ever do that.
If you mean a memory card then you need one to save game data on for the majority of games (all of them probably), so you need to go and get one, get the biggest you can afford as 8gb doesn't store much at all. I have a 8 and 16gb card and they are both full!
Your right, I didn't buy it, on the on the PS store on the PS3 it said it was 7.99 or something, but it didn't cost me anything when I downloaded it.

I got a 16gb card with it so that will do for now, its a 3G /Wi-Fi version so at home I can use my router with it via the Wi-Fi. I don't have a mobile phone which is why I asked if I should bother with a Sim Card? Would I really miss out on much, if anything ?

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I bought an Ovivo sim card, It cost me £15 for the initial price but then it rolls over for free every month, I think i get 1gb data but it rarely leaves the house so i never use it, but rather have 3g and not use it.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Have a Vita, got it 3g, never used it, always at home. Is a great little thing!

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hiya @mick , time for a better reply now!

I love mine, it goes everywhere though I really need to invest in a screen protector for it. It currently lives in an official Hori handgrip thing (for my large paws) & thick hiking sock for protection.

Titles I've finished (the single player campaigns anyway) so far include:
Uncharted: GA;
Tearaway;
Gravity Rush;
LBP Vita.

Grab absolutely everything you see on PS+ - the only titles I have actually paid for were the bundled digital copy of Tearaway & a physical copy of Killzone: Mercenary, which I got off eBay for just under £20.

I'm constantly juggling titles as I only have a 16GB card in, not a major issue due to free unlimited broadband & the ability to remote download to the PS3 to grab later - just remember to PS+ save your progress as deleting games also deletes your save data.

Hope that helps & let me know if/when you want a showdown. A lot easier to hop on the Vita for a pagger than the PS3!

(Unit 13 & KZ are both decent although I generally suck at FPS.)

Last edited:

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ps I've got 3G version too & literally just used the card out of my mobile, which worked the first few times but doesn't seem to now however the tethering idea is a good one @Plaxinator !

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Tearaway is really cheap now, and definitely worth picking up. It uses every possible Vita function in the game too. Some really good little puzzles in it.

If you liked the SOCOM series then Unit 13 is an essential purchase too. Very good shooter.

You planning on getting a PS4? Remote play is pretty awesome, as you can pretty much use it to play any game. You can do this on the ps3 too, but there's not a lot of compatible games.

Chuffed for you. Now theres you and my son in the Near area:1thumbup:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ps I've got 3G version too & literally just used the card out of my mobile, which worked the first few times but doesn't seem to now however the tethering idea is a good one @Plaxinator !
What network are you on @zoob ? I was with 02 where you don't need a tethering plan but their data reception was shite to non existent around these parts. So I've defected to Three which is super fast (HPSA+). unless you have a One Plan though you can't tether so you have to buy a tethering add on. So I have a 1GB tethering add on and even with that my mobile contract is much cheaper than it was with 02 so I'm well chuffed.
Never used to bother tethering before but now I'm like a tethering addict.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Tearaway is really cheap now, and definitely worth picking up. It uses every possible Vita function in the game too. Some really good little puzzles in it.

You planning on getting a PS4? Remote play is pretty awesome, as you can pretty much use it to play any game. You can do this on the ps3 too, but there's not a lot of compatible games.:1thumbup:
Tearaway is great - haven't printed any of the plans yet though!

The Pixeljunk series is about it!

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Was on O2, now on Vodafone, no issues.
You would if you lived here, Vodafone has been down for a couple of weeks. Makes a change from it being 02. I think I live in some kind of mobile dead zone.....

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You would if you lived here, Vodafone has been down for a couple of weeks. Makes a change from it being 02. I think I live in some kind of mobile dead zone.....
They have the best for the Orkney Islands - Virgin used to be non-existent & O2 patchy at best. I would imagine Welsh-land is similar to Northern Scotland.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'd like to get a Sim Card for it but really wouldn't have a clue on what to get :problem: Ive not had a mobile phone for over 10 years so have no idea on what would be a good price for one. :oops:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'd like to get a Sim Card for it but really wouldn't have a clue on what to get :problem: Ive not had a mobile phone for over 10 years so have no idea on what would be a good price for one. :oops:
I really wouldnt bother. Theres enough wifi hotspots around, and youll probably find youll hardly ever play outside the house to make it worthwhile

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Got to find something to do when im at work :D

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well, there are three different types of SIM card (standard, micro and nano). You'll need the standard SIM. If I were you I'd got for a PAYG plan rather than a monthly plan (contract).
Best to check out which network works best in the areas you will use (they will have coverage checkers).
Look at the websites under SIM only broadband - Vodafone, 02, Orange/EE and 3 are the main contenders. To give you an example 3 do a SIM for £5 a month that gives you 250mb of data. I suspect the others will be the same. Doubt you'll be able to get anything for less than a fiver a month. Most do preloaded 1GB cards for £10 that last for 30 days once activated, but doubt you'll get through that much just on a Vita.

Have a look and decide what network and how much you want to pay and report back.
@mick

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
http://www.ovivomobile.com/offer/ovivo-for-data/

Our plans feature sign-up fees and, depending on the plan you choose, some or all of the fee is returned to you as credit once you’ve activated your SIM. The sign-up fee helps to pay for your SIM card and our administration costs, enabling us to keep our core service free.

• Data 0 – You’ll pay £20 today, and we’ll give you £15 of free credit once you’ve activated your SIM card. The remaining £5 will cover the SIM card and administration costs.
  • Data 5 – You’ll pay £20 today. We’ll use £5 of this to pay for the first month of your plan, and give you £15 of free credit once you’ve activated your SIM card.
  • Data 10 – You’ll pay £20 today. We’ll use £10 of this to pay for the first month of your plan, and give you £10 of free credit once you’ve activated your SIM card.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
http://www.ovivomobile.com/offer/ovivo-for-data/

Our plans feature sign-up fees and, depending on the plan you choose, some or all of the fee is returned to you as credit once you’ve activated your SIM. The sign-up fee helps to pay for your SIM card and our administration costs, enabling us to keep our core service free.

• Data 0 – You’ll pay £20 today, and we’ll give you £15 of free credit once you’ve activated your SIM card. The remaining £5 will cover the SIM card and administration costs.
  • Data 5 – You’ll pay £20 today. We’ll use £5 of this to pay for the first month of your plan, and give you £15 of free credit once you’ve activated your SIM card.
  • Data 10 – You’ll pay £20 today. We’ll use £10 of this to pay for the first month of your plan, and give you £10 of free credit once you’ve activated your SIM card.
How does it work with a Vita? If you're using a tablet or phone then they interrupt you every 5 mins of web browsing with adverts, which is how they can offer free data through the advertising revenue.