1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

How YOU doin'?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by OAPboba, 1 Jul 2012.

1. OAPboba

OAPboba Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    OAPboba
    Evening all,

Thought I'f pop in and say hello and see if I could be an Ally since most of you are on my friends list anyway ;)

Firstly, good luck with the site and I like the look, kind of Bioshock Infinite-like.

So....intro.....Well I'm 42 and have been playing consoles since about 1980 I think. It all started with the Atari VCS which was like having an arcade. IN YOUR HOUSE!!! That's what it felt like anyway. Loved Missile Command, Adventure, Defender and, bizarrely, Chess. Wasn't so keen on E.T. Upgraded to a TI-99/4A which added the pleasure of a keyboard and the truly horrible TI BASIC. It did, however, also boast Parsec a really awesome side scrolling shoot 'em up.

It was a Commodore 64 after that (Impossible Mission, Bruce Lee, International Karate, Boulderdash) and then a first - I actually spent my own money on buying an Amiga 500 - a seminal machine which I spent lots of time and money on over the years upgrading to "proper" monitor, second floppy drive, external hard drive, printer and even a whopping 3MB of RAM. Oh yes, it was pretty well a super computer! It played games too, especially Elite, Cannon Fodder, SWOS, Lemmings and frankly far too many others.

I had a SNES after that but to be honest the mid-90s seemed to be a bit crap for videogames since it was all side scrolling bloody beat 'em ups which I hated. However all that was forgotten about when I visited a friend and saw a shiny Playstation under his telly. 3 hours of "Worms" later and I was seriously back into my gaming, much to the disgust of my then girlfriend (now wife). If only she'd known then....

The Playstation was incredible. Games like Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, and the amazing Tony Hawks Skateboarding meant I was fully back into the gaming groove. A Playstion 2 inevitably followed and the great games continued: Timesplitters, GTA, Ico. But as I had grown older it had become increasingly difficult to pay with your mates.

Reading an article about the upcoming online capabilities of the PS2 seemed very exciting. Eventually I got hooked up with a network adaptor and copy of Hardware: Online Arenas and I realised this was the way to play. It was amazing. my wife was even more disgusted and rather embarrassed. Again: If only she'd known then... :lol:

So, 8 years and who knows how many hours online later here I am! As most if not all of you know I am a member of OAP and heard about this site because nearly all of you are on my friends list! In fact the really lucky ones amongst you have even met me in real life.

I'm currently playing mostly BF3, and Mass Effect 2 and I'm really looking forward to the release of Borderlands 2.

OK, I'm going to stop now as I've just realised how much crap I've just typed. Catch you online soon people!

Boba.

2. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Hey Boba, good intro fella. I'd forgotten about Timesplitters. I lost a good many an hour on that. Ico. Was. Amazing. I downloaded that from the store recently and was reminded was a breath of fresh air it was.

Also, loved Mass Effect 2 but was a bit gutted to find out I lost my final save to import to Mass Effect 3... I'm currently trying to decide whether to press ahead anyway or recomplete Mass Effect 2. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be interested.

Good to see you over here and I hope you'll keep my on your FL.

3. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    Ah I see the best bounty hunter in the galaxy has came for some tea. Still haunted by Jedi ;)

It's good to see you here as well, hopefully your rocking the green of Ally soon.

4. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Bossk looks cooler :)

5. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    And hate wookies. ;)

6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Hi Boba, nice to see you over here. Have to make sure we always play games together no matter what.

My wife despairs of my gaming, but then I remind her I dont like football, not in to cars, I dont go out boozing or having loads of curries with my mates any more, plus at least Im in doors where she can see me and talk to me. Worked a couple of times but now I need a new argument as shes says its not a hobby or pasttime its an obsession. :oops: :lol:

Anyway, good to see you over here!! :thumbup:

7. OAPboba

OAPboba Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    OAPboba
    Hi peeps and thanks for the welcome.

Ruth has long since accepted the gaming and while she'll never really "get" console gaming she doesn't mind at all. She even knows now you're all normal. Errr....some of you are fairly normal.

Sorry but I'm not looking at anything on the internet about either game until I've played them so as not to spoil any storylines. Did you have multiple saves? (i.e. if you lost your final save did you have one from a couple of hours before the end).

Oh and after having read all the intros after posting mine I'd better say Hi to Halo: :wave:

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Its not vital at all apart from you will miss out on a trophy for importing a character. The game will generate some random background for you. But if you want this trophy, either way you play ME2 again or ME3 twice to get this trophy.

9. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    No, now go away. ;)

Seriously, welcome to the new place, Boba and that's a top intro you have written. :)

Thanks, we did want to go for an Art Deco-esque/Bioshock look and we're pleased with how it's turned out.

I've not really seen you on BF3. Do you play at odd times or are you just avoiding me? :P I've got ME2 and I really must finish it. Borderlands 2 is on the 'to buy' list, loved the first game.

Halo & I met Boba a while back with his other half at a pub called the Coy Carp in Harefield for a spot of lunch and a pint or two. We met again when he was solo in the area as I recall dropping Boba off in Croxley Green. Can't remember where we went though, the memory fails with age. :grandpa:

As Boba has said, he's already known by most people here and I'm sure that folk are happy to have you on board as an Ally. You should now find yourself greened up and ready to go. :)

10. OAPboba

OAPboba Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    OAPboba
    I play at fairly random times for fairly random amounts of time so it's quite difficult to get to specific events or whatever at the moment. Things will get a bit more steady later on in the year I imagine, so I'll just try to keep my eye in in the meantime.

Actually I think that was the same day! Ruth and Hope went off home slightly earlier and you two dropped me off on your way home. Is that right? Although I also think I've met both of you more than once in RL. Damn brain! Work!

11. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Yup, you're right, it was on the same day. In which case I think that was the only time we met. Blimey this old brain really is addled. :crazy:

12. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    Hello OAPboba :wave:

The name is familiar but i have yet played any online games with yourself :?

Anyway, i'm living on BF3 at the moment so hopefully i'll catch you on the battlefield :thumbup:

13. OAPboba

OAPboba Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    OAPboba
    Hi Roger

Yes I've had a funny old time on BF3. Got it at launch and played lots. Then didn't play many games at all for quite a while. Then broke my ankle so was playing loads, but mostly offline games (LA Noire and Skyrim). Now recently got back into BF3 so should be able to catch up with some old friends and make some new ones too since BF3 still seems to be the most popular online game around.

Tried to join the OAP server yesterday but I think it had a Close Quarters map on and I don't have that DLC.

14. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Damn, I didn't see you on last night, unless you were on earlier in the evening, otherwise I'd have chucked you an invite.. I was on with HaloJ, JKRohn and Geriatric in a non-DLC room playing a bit of Rush.

15. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    Yeah, i had the server changed yesterday to try and make the most of the double xp.
    There is however another server available courtesy of Wilks, just look for server under the name of Hope gaming.
    The server is available for all to use :thumbup:

16. OAPboba

OAPboba Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    OAPboba
    I think you came on just as I was logging off (and no, these two things were not connected :lol: )

Nice one - I shall add it to my favourites.

17. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Hey Boba, long time no shoot!

We've had a stint or two in Skyrim (trophy whoring under Martok's profile) it's a huge sucker of time but a stunning game!

Sorry we didn't spot you online on BF3 last night, we'd jumped into a none Premium Rush server to play with Plaxinator but unfortunately a pet had eaten her controller. ;)

Abs

18. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Cheers Slaine, I'll have to play ME3 more then. Boba, I had got extra saves but my PS+ subscription lapsed so lost them. However, I rejoined and have got them all back so I'll take a look soon.

Anyway, realise I hadn't :thumbup: you Boba. I know you're been allied now but wanted to vouch for you anyway ;)

19. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I'm up for some ME3 not played for ages I have a few too many games :shock:

20. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I still like the odd game of mass effect 3. Only ever had a few rounds with Herman and Jkrohn. are then many others here with it? Enough to set up a co op event night?