The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 How crap is the new PS3 update?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Hardware & Other Games' started by Slaine, 24 Oct 2012.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I am of course referring to firmware 4.30. As a trophy whore, I am not happy that every time I choose to view these buggers it does a full sync (which takes approximately over a minute). Even cancelling out of a sync still seems to take the same time, so you have to ask yourself why bother?!!?! :rant: But why the trophy sync in the first place? You dont do this on the 360 or the bloody iPhone!!! :rant:

But worse of all is the unsightly Singstar crap. Every time I boot it boots on the icon. Ive got Singstar, and I like it too. Ive also got the Singstar viewer as well. Did we really all need another Singstar?!?!?! I dont mind having it, but why cant it be buried in my Games folder along with the rest of my games?!?!? I hate strong arm sales tactics, they never work on me. And it would appear it doesnt wash with many others either.....

Anyways, rant over, and heres hoping the bloody thing gets hidden in the next update.

2. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I've not seen it yet, but I have no interest in singstar so the addition of an icon for a game I don't own or want won't exactly do Sony many favours with the next generation of consoles on the horizon.

Annoyingly my plan anyway was to buy the Microsoft console and then see how things pan out with the Sony console, so far I don't think they've fared particularly well on the gaming front since the first xbox came out but their system as a media device is in a whole new league compared to the xbox so I was planning on using the PS3's I have for the media features (and likely as not downgrading the firmware to remove the DRM so I can watch backups off my NAS).

Time will tell though.

Plus I tend to skip straight to what i'm gonna use on the XMB most of the time, can't even remember the last time I noticed that Life On Playstation or any of the "TV" type channels or half the crap they have on there.

3. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Oh wonderful so now when you boot up you have the option to be confronted with Singstar or "What's new" both areas of the XMB that I have no interest in what so ever. Poor form from Sony. Hacked firmware anyone? The online side has most certainly been broken to the extent Sony can no longer do anything about it. :thumbup:

4. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    It doesn't bother me that much. It is annoying that you can't hide the Singstar icon in another folder though. The trophies moving, again not bothered and it doesn't seem any slower than normal to me. For the Whats New, I've turned that off in the settings. At least we're not getting tons of adverts rammed down our throats like on the Xbox

5. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Same here.

6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Just found out if you press triangle on the trophy icon you can view them offline, which means no sync. Still loads up really slow, and I notice you cant view trophies on the Playstation website. Im guessing theres problems and issues.

@Plax and dont get me started on the amount of adverts on the 360 these days. Microsoft claim it helps keep the cost of Live down, hence no increase for ages. I may not be a farmer but I know the smell of bullshit

7. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    So I was expecting a big change since the firmware was a main number upgrade to 4.30 I think it was.

Is that it? They added a Singstar icon? I don't see any other changes.

The trophy sync progress bar doesn't skip the centre section now and take ages on the last couple of percent and it does seem a touch slower overall, I'm guessing the more trophies you have the longer it takes to trawl through them (bad programming if you ask me given how small a data set that is it should take less than a second).

Where's the big important changes? Anyone care to enlighten me?

8. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    The biggie was really that if you have a Vita you can now see your Vita trophies on the PS3. You couldn't before you see. So this is brilliant news to the likes of myself. They also took somthing away called Life with Playstation which I never used anyway. That was an extra icon I didn't much care for either lol. I supposed that was more accepted as it wasn't under a main category like Games.

9. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Ah cool so the big part was the trophies.

They need to let me (or anyone with a clue) rewrite their sync process though, it's bloody awful.

10. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Yip I too had a little rant about the Singstar not being able to be deleted (moving is far too kind for it :lol: ). Didn't even notice Life with Playstation had gone.

11. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Whats the problem in having an ICON on your XMB, just ignore it.

12. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    That's my solution.

I can kind of understand where people are coming from, I was a bit miffed about all the crap they put under the TV menu when they first did that, they change those from time to time and nobody gives a shit, i've learned to simply ignore them although I do use that menu a lot since i've got PlayTV installed.

13. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    It's not just an icon. It's now the default splash screen rather than the last game played splash screen if you have the "what's new" disabled. I have no interest in Sony's "what's new" section which is why I have it disabled so Sony then see fit to blatantly advertise another product that I've utterly no interest in. It's as bad as Sony ramming "Move support" down my throat when ever I run a game that supports it, un-needed, unnecessary and unwanted.

14. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Im a bit OCD too. I like all my games to be placed neatly in their folders (PS3, PSP, PS1 etc). This bloody thing now sits outside of it, and theres bugger all you can do about it.

I like Singstar, but there are plenty of detractors out there who dont, and certainly dont appreciate it having it appear as the first splash screen after boot. Sony only done this because even though its now a free to play model they know noone would bother with it, so the only way to do it is to force it upon everyone. Thats what people are upset about. I suppose its akin to your PS3 booting up and displaying Hannah Montanna each and every time.

15. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I actually had no idea it was free...I assume it comes with a basic set of tracks and the reason they're doing this is because they can make an absolute killing on DLC tracks? (I know all about that one having spent around $200 on tracks for Rock Band)

If they're gonna force that shit onto you they should send everyone out a free USB mic too.

16. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    You can use your bluetooth headset, PS Eye or Singstar mics now to play. Comes with sweet FA, so in order to play you need to buy songs. Plus you need to buy 10 songs to unlock the ability to earn trophies too. Worth a look at my profile just to see my wife singing Toxic

17. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    I had a Singstar on disc, yes this 'free' one has its own trophies but as Slaine said about the songs. On my other ids its a problem as I have to put the disc in so it allows me to have the trophies dispute having content there from Singstore already brought on my main PSN. Yes I have downloaded it and may use it if I have friends round for drunken singing and too drunk to put a disc in.

I love seeing my Vita trophies there though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice