The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

HMV to go into administration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martok, 14 Jan 2013.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    The latest high street casualty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073

Not surprised at this TBH. I've not bought from them for years, their prices were too expensive.

Not much left on the high street if you want to buy games and music apart from the struggling Game and independent games and music shops and of course the supermarkets.

2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Ive just read that all vouchers and gift cards are now unuseable too.

Such a shame, but then their prices were just ridiculous. I only ever bought sale or 2nd hand stuff from them.

Looks like our High Streets are fast disappearing. I predict the US model, where the only place to buy retail is at a large Mall, and the humble High Street will disappear altogether.

Im curious to see how WH Smiths and Waterstones are faring. :|

3. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Waterstones have just closed their branch in Watford which has been there for 17 years, so I don't think they are doing so good. It wouldn't surprise me if they became another casualty, along with Blockbuster.

4. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I wouldn't even be so sure about malls continuing to exist.

We have the MetroCentre nearby which is one of the largest shopping malls in Europe, afaik it's still the largest in the UK. This is the best place to go shopping that i've been to (it's certainly in a different league from those I went to in Florida while I was there) and the number of businesses that are basically stopping in there is hard to believe, what was once a very packed place where a spot never stayed empty for more than a month is now a place where you notice shops closed down for months on end, and by the bucket full.

Make no mistake, the rent in shopping malls is every bit as unrealistic as a high street and it's difficult to cover these costs when you have such a competitive online retail source for your shopping.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with supermarkets that simply sell everything, from groceries to car parts, to electricals much the same as the bigger supermarkets in the US.

5. Macca72-

Macca72- Newbie Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Macca72-
    It's a pity that there's going to be a lot of people losing their jobs, but I'm surprised that they have managed to stay open for so long. Their prices are a joke, £24 for the Beatles White Album is an example. I buy loads of music, I still buy CD's and always will, I know that's seen as old fasioned now :grandpa: , but paying £7.00 to download an album in MP3 quality! I'd rather not.
    I buy most of my CD's from Amazon and Ebay now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice