The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Hi from vitaredux

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by vitaredux, 30 Aug 2012.

1. vitaredux

vitaredux Semi-Regular Gamer

PSN:
    vitaredux
    Hey everybody!

Right, I've just bought Battlefield 3 (not even played yet!) and I know how much more fun it is playing as a team. So I looked up clans and although I dont count myself as a senior citizen (36), the easy-going approach appealed.

I'm a veteran of BF2 and 2142 on the PC and as much as I would like to play BF3 on the PC, I cant afford one capable of playing it. So PS3 it is, and time to see how clans work on here. I still need to get a headset (I accept recommendations, but I'm looking at EarForce P11 or PX21s).

I also notice the distinct silence about MW3, is that frowned upon here(?) cause I still love playing that game and I'd join a teammate anytime.

Oh and I got Uncharted 3. Acheieved platinum on single player, but I've never enjoyed the multiplayer experience in Uncharted. Sorry.

More about me? Real name Chris. I live in the UK. Work in IT for a hated bank. And I'm married with three kids - so if you see me hiding in a bush, one of them has probably woken up!

See you soon online, when I can tear myself away from double weapon XP on mw3, haha.

2. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    welcome to the seniors, as a 40 year old I can tell you senior citizen is as much a state of mind as it is about the years. MW3 seems to have been overlooked here, probably due to the domination of BF3 which is the modern combat game of choice here.

We are a pretty friendly bunch, its all about the fun of the game here, so we will take anybody who agrees to play fair and friendly. We generally work pretty well together when on the same teams and comms will help you get the most out of the experience as well as give you warning when Halo shoots you in the back or runs you over in a jeep.

We have a regular uncharted night on a tuesday, We also have killzone 3 on a wednesday and Battlefield seems to be the thursday choice. But really we will pretty much play anything, we have members who have platinumed games such as Hannah Montana for example.

Are there any other games you like to play online?

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Welcome Chris, it's good to have another youngster here, though I think i'm still one of the babies here at a few years younger than your good self.

Glad to see you've found your way here and that you're into Battlefield, it's a very popular game around here so you won't go far wrong with that one.

I think we have a couple of people with MW3, but it's generally overlooked as mentioned, but I think there may be some interest in this years CoD game by a few, I may even pick it up myself if I can get a copy for, well lets just say no more than half the RRP otherwise they can shove it.

As for headset, either of the two you've mentioned will probably fare you well, many of us here would thoroughly recommend the Sharkoon X-Tatic Digital 5.1 headset, though it's fairly pricey you certainly get what you pay for and it means you can game in peace without disturbing the wife and kids and neighbours with the sounds of tanks rolling on by and explosions going off all over the place.

"a hated bank" - love it, that's all of them isn't it? Where abouts in the UK are you from?

Oh and back on the subject of BF3 there should be plenty of us about on that tonight if you fancy joining us, search for SeniorGamers in the server search and you should find us no problem.

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Hi vitaredux/Chris, nice to meet you

Definitely the best Battlefield Ive played. Really really good fun, you wont regret it. Dont judge the game by the single player. Its a marmite thing, I personally didnt mind it at all. Its a rip off of Black Ops. But you dont buy a Battlfield game to play singleplayer!! :mrgreen:

Definitely makes for a more enjoyable experience, as you can discuss tactics etc which will (hopefully) make you the better squad. Most mobile phone bluetooth headsets work, as do the old PS2 headsets. All depends how much you want to spend, and I let the others enlighten you.

I really like the Call Of Duty games; Ive got the lot including some on my 360 & PS3 too. Ive only got a 360 version. It is a cracking game, but I think the thing that puts a lot of people over here are the god awful kids that play it. And thats the reason that clans like this exist, so us oldies arent playing with obnoxious potty mouthed youths. Instead we are playing amongst ourselves, talking crap over the comms and generally having a laugh.

You missed a trick not playing Uncharted 3 online. It really is superb, and we play it once a week here at the mo (along with Killzone 3). At this moment we're debating what game to play on a Monday, and we've got all sorts being voted from Dead Space 2 to Burnout Paradise. The way things work around here is anyone can set up an event to play a game. Set a date and time of your choosing, and hopefully a) people have the game b) theyre available c) they want to play it some more!!

Not RBS is it? I used to work for those greedy controlling barstewards. Thankfully they made me redundant with a big fat pay off. You have my sympathies. :cry:

As for kids, most of us have got kids here (Ive got 6), so no probs if you've a nappy emergency or whatever. We frequently stop for "comfort" breaks anyway. Hey, we're old and our bladders arent what they used to be (stretched to capacity by too much binge drinking).

So what happens now is you join us for a game one night, we all have a laugh together, and if you're happy thats it your in!! You get access to the full site, including the chat function (which is pretty good) along with our own little mini arcade. Try and borrow or steal a headset for the night, as it would be nice to chat. I'll bung you a friends request in the meantime (Im Torquemada on the PS3 just to confuse you).

Theres a Battlefield 3 game this very night if you're interested? Dont worry about never having played it before. The way I play you'd think I hadnt played it before!! :oops: :lol: In fact, it might have been Jkrohn1, someone said to me the other day about my helicopter flying "were you joking or messing around when you were flying?". To fill in the gaps, I got in and quickly plummetted to my firey death, after doin some erratic acrobatics.

Hope to catch you online soon :thumbup:

5. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    They're not his, They're like stray cats and just follow him around, He's like some sort of pied piper of small children.

Anyhoo, Welcome Vitty,

How did you find us? We like to know what arm of the propaganda machine works :)

Are you wanting the full fat membership or just after the smaller crappier diet membership?

How did you happen upon your PSN name?

My wife works for Barclaycard, But doesn't like to advertise It as people just assume she's a ****ing scumbag, Despite Barclays NOT being bailed out by anyone.

I'm going through a bit of a BF3 lull at the moment but feel free to spam friends requests out to me and anyone else, You should see their PSN ID under the avatar pic.

Enjoy :)

6. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Just read that back and I've made Slaine sound like some sort of peado!! It was supposed to be funny! Oh well :D

As for the headset Vitty, I bought the boy a pair of PX 11's I think they were, He's had them for nearly a year now and they're still going strong and he's not had any issues with them, Like Col I too have a pair of the awesome Sharkoon Xtatic digital jobbies.

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    :rofl:

8. vitaredux

PSN:
    vitaredux
    Thanks for the welcome guys. To respond:

Google search on "PS3, clan, UK, BF3" turned up this with a reply from Martok: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/en/forum/threadview/2832654489893946064/
    I dont know what membership. I just want to play with you guys.

Looks like I could be halfway to upgrading my PC if I could afford them :). Actually in mw3 (cough) I cant hear other people clearly on my surround system. Is bf3 better for sound?

Yup, when I'm playing mw3 I cant mute them fast enough. Especially the ones who want to treat me to their music.

Actually I have steered clear of the Treyarch ones. They never have the shelf-life; or maybe I should say they DO have the shelf-life, because thats where they go when everyone goes back to the previous Modern Warfare.

South of the Midlands, North of the South, West of the Home counties and East of the West-country.

I think I will give tonights game a miss, wait until I have a headset to talk to you guys and do it properly. I might even get a few moments practise before next week. I notice that my over-zealous reviving in the line of fire isnt going to upset anyone anymore.

Catch you all soon.

9. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Howdo Chris and welcome to our cosy place. Make yourself at home and I hope to see you online soon. When that happens and you can't understand a word I or Acegadgets are saying, your headset isn't breaking up. I'm Dutch you see and Ace was found on a fjord in Iceland. So we both talk jibberish (not to be mistaken with Jiddish).

See you soon. Shalom

10. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Sounds like the Dutch guy is high again!

Welcome to our humble abode Chris.
    As the rest have said, Battlefield 3 is currently the most popular game with our little group at the moment but it dosent mean thats all we play.
    We arent anti COD but find that theres too much emphasis on kill to death ratios, something that you become worse at as you get older.
    The average age on here is probably just under 40 . Dont think we have any guys in there 20s, most are between 30 - 53 year old. So you are pretty much amongst fellow dads rather than playing with the kids that infuriate you with thier uber fast reactions and annoying gangster rap music.
    As well as BF3 a lot of us will be getting Borderlands 2 next month, and MOH Warfighter, NFS most wanted and Far Cry 3 before Christmas so theres plenty of other games on the horizon to look forward to.
    As a prospective member, theres not a lot of the site open to you at the moment. Might be worth finding a Bluetooth phone headset in one of your drawers and setting it up as a stop gap till you decide what headset you want. pretty much any old phone earpiece would work.
    Hope to catch you online soon.

11. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Welcome to our home, vitaredux!

Glad you've found us, we definitely do play BF3 here and if you're new to the game then we'll be happy to help you through the first few hours as you get used to this incarnation. We're fairly easy going on the game (and others too) - we do like to win but it's the fun and friendship that we're more interested in. We do play some clan matches too and I'll be organising some more in September if you're interested? BTW, you can find often find us on our own BF3 server, just search for Senior Gamers or SNR.

So, what is the origin of your PSN name? It sounds like it's related to the Vita though that is new, so are you new to PSN or is there another story behind this?

We have two membership options. On option is 'membership lite' (Ally status) which really is designed for members of other communities and gives a few extra forums on here. The other is our full fat membership option (Senior Citizen) which is probably what you'll be after. With this you get full access to our forums, our chat system on here and various other benefits including adding to the VIP list on our BF3 server. All we ask for this is that we get to play a game with you with a headset so we can chat to you, have a laugh etc. After that, if we're all happy then you would become a full member and we'd ask you to wear the [SNR] tags in online games on the PS3 (though you can wear them on other platforms too if you wish). Anyway, let us know which you'd like to go for.

There's likely to me some of us on BF3 tonight and over the weekend so hopefully I'll catch you then. If not, there'll be more sessions next week. :)

12. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Headsets in general are better.

I have a decent-ish surround system in my living room and was VERY surprised at just how much more detail you hear when using a headset, even just a stereo one gives you a big advantage as you get much better depth perception and lots of fine detail that is simply drowned out with a full surround system.

So I would recommend a headset, even a stereo one over a surround system, though if you can get a full on surround headset going then even better as you get the very accuracte depth perception and small/quiet detail plus all the directionality.

And yes BF3 blows CoD out of the water for Sound just as it does for graphics.

13. vitaredux

PSN:
    vitaredux
    Hmmm, vitaredux, yeah I've had that ID for ages. Sony stole it off me. Well I guess the Romans had it first.

Its Latin for approximately "Returned to Life"

A bit spiritual but fits well with my love of the shock paddles too.

14. Fistdantilus

Fistdantilus Newbie Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    fistdantilus_
    Lo vitaredux,

Hello , good evening and welcome to the SNR's :D

15. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    Hello vitalite and welcome to the SNR's.

I'm pretty sure that it won't take you long to realise that you've found a good home :D

16. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Morning Vita,

I've changed your access rights from registered to Ally as an interim solution whilst you sort out a headset. Ally status will allow you to see the events section so feel free to join in any event banter and do join us in game if you wish.

Abs

17. vitaredux

PSN:
    vitaredux
    Thanks guys. Got 2nd hand EarForce P11s off eBay. Should have them early next week.

18. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Good news. :thumbup:

Hope to see you online next week!

19. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Guys just sold someone my broken Ear Force P11's on eBay :lol:

20. vitaredux

PSN:
    vitaredux
    They're here and they work. Must have been some other mug you sould yours to.

Oh and I've discovered I'm terrible at BF3 multiplayer. Can't shoot straight. Press all the wrong buttons when I want to knife someone. Havent figured out how to drop a medkit yet. But if you want a spotter, I can do that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice