Multi Hero Academy - Steam and iOS

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So, anyone got this game? If you have Steam or an Apple device such as iPad / iPhone / iPod running iOS 5 or above then you have no excuse not to. Well you have to pay £3.99 on Steam so I guess that can be an acceptable reason, but it is free on iOS. It is cross platform and I have my account on Steam, iPad and iPod so can pick up where I left off on any device. I wrote a review for it on HoPE which, alas you can no longer see since the site closed. I kept the word copy though so I have taken the liberty to cut & paste below what I wrote (circa Sept 2012). Go on, you know you want to download it and challenge me to a few games.............

Hero Academy is a turn based strategy game developed by Robot Entertainment. It is available on iOS (so an apple device such as the iPhone or iPad) and Steam (PC) and supports cross platform multiplayer. This review will be based on the Steam version of the game.

The aim of the game is to either destroy your opponent’s crystals (of which there are two) or defeat all their players. It’s set up very much like a chess board, with each team having different characters each with their own set of moves and abilities. There are also different tile types on the board: one that causes you to do more damage when you’re standing on them, one that allows you more defense, and a third that allows your entire team to do more damage to enemy crystals as long as one team member is standing on it. Some boards also have a “teleport” that allows the player to move to the “teleport” on the other side of the board.
You can only take five actions per turn for your entire team. This is where is pays to think ahead to figure out the best way beat your opponent. How you spend you points is important. Every move you make costs one point. Whether you add a new character onto the board, attack an enemy, or move to a different tile, you always use one point. The beauty of this game though is it lets you “undo” your moves. So you can try out different moves and see how well, or poorly it’ll do and adjust them accordingly.

You don’t have access to your entire team every turn, and are instead randomly dealt units and powers, making you further adapt your game play based on what’s available to you on a given turn. You can either take what's there, or swap some out at the cost of action points.

The Steam version comes with an exclusive Team Fortress 2 team and the Council (Humans) for £3.99. If you want other teams there is the option of buying the Dark Elves pack, The Dwarves pack or the Tribe pack for £3.99 each. There is also an optional Uniform Colour pack for 99p. If you have an iOS device, I believe the app is free with the Council team, and £1.49 if you want to splash out on other teams.
I’ve personally found the different teams to be somewhat unbalanced though, getting my posterior handed to me whenever I play against the Dark Elves for example.

There is a very good tutorial to get you started which goes through the basic moves illustrates what very simple game play it is. After each successfully completed tutorial you get a little victory dance, of which the music does get a bit annoying.

If the tutorial isn’t enough for you then there is a game guide and tips video available. There’s nothing quite like jumping in at the deep end and learning by experience playing against other though.

There are also a variety of offline challenges if you want to get you teeth into a spot of problem solving and/or you can’t play online and still need your Hero Academy fix.
As this is a turn based game it’s probably best to have more than one game on the go at a time otherwise you’ll be quickly bored hanging around for your opponent to take their turn – you can do things at your own pace - so take your turn straight away or leave it a few days, totally up to you. This is where the game is probably better suited to a mobile device. It’s fine on the PC – it’ll very quietly run in the background and give you a notification when somebody takes their turn whilst your surfing the net etc. However you’re very much restricted to playing it at a specific place (unless you have a laptop), unlike the mobile where you can very much play on the go.
To sum up, this is an excellent strategy game. The graphics are nice with each character well detailed. Game play is very simple to pick up and you can play it at your own pace. It’s similar to Draw Something and Words with Friends in that respect. Well worth picking up.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Question: you said it's cross platform so if I get the iOS version and buy the team packs for £1.59 they will work on steam?

Wait just actually read your post. Question still stands but without the cross platform lol

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Question: you said it's cross platform so if I get the iOS version and buy the team packs for £1.59 they will work on steam?

Wait just actually read your post. Question still stands but without the cross platform lol
Yes, I've bought all the packs on iOS and they work on Steam. You log into your Hero Academy account using the same details and it transfers over. The achievements don't though.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Cool might get it on iOS then steam lol