• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Heres why the DS4 light has to be on.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The sixthaxis wrote
The PS4′s DualShock 4 controller features a colour-changing light, and although it can now be dimmed in settings, there’s no way of turning it off completely. Sony stayed quiet on the matter for a long while, as people complained about the reflection on the screen, but now they’ve broke their silence on why it’s there.

It wasn’t just a gimmicky (but smart) way for developers to bring you into the game further with different colours representing different things, nor was it purely for Move-style tracking. No, it’s there because it needs to be for Project Morpheus.

“The tracking light… it was our department that said we need that on,” said Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s senior designer, Jed Ashforth, when speaking to TechRadar. “It was for tracking for VR.”

“And when all these things were coming out six months ago and everyone was going ‘it’s reflecting in my TV,’ we were going ‘oh no’ because we couldn’t tell anyone what it was for.”

So, Project Morpheus will need the tracking light to work, and that gives us a bit more insight into how it’s going to work – it’s likely that it’ll take your hand movements as well as head movements into account, making an even better VR experience.

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Jubblies, I think I will be investing in a Morpheus when it arrives.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So we have to put up with a battery draining nuisance light so that two or three people can look like muppets in VR helmets. Could we have the option to turn it on if we get a vr headset or you even have the light turn on automatically when it detects the headset.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So we have to put up with a battery draining nuisance light so that two or three people can look like muppets in VR helmets. Could we have the option to turn it on if we get a vr headset or you even have the light turn on automatically when it detects the headset.
This +1

[Clarkson mode] How hard can it be [/Clarkson mode]

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The thought did occur to me too.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah that's what i'd thought all along with regards to the camera, surely the PS can detect the camera and send the signal to turn the bloody light on.

I'm glad it can be dimmed, but given how little the colour of that bar adds to your in game experience let us turn it off and have certain accessories force it to be on if absolutely required.

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Old thread, but: play Thief in a dark room (to clarify, a room without light, not the other kind :roll:) that's one game where the lightbar really adds to the experience!
Too bad the rest of the game was so disappointing though.

If there'll be enough support I'll get Morpheus as well, but looking at the 3D support of past & current games I'm not expecting too much of this. Don't think there even is one PS4 game out that supports 3D, is there?

Bloodfairy

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I thought the light bar use in Thief was pretty cool, just a shame the same couldn't be said about the game.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@NVranya Sniper Elite does, and very well too.

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ah, didn't know, I'll keep that in mind if I see it on sale somewhere.