• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Helmet Camera fnar fnar

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cheap camera that's suitable for attaching to a helmet for biking?

I know we've got a few cyclists and a few bikers here so figured a few of you have already done the research and tried out a few of these cameras.

I'm just after something cheap, for the purpose of capturing which idiot driver finally manages to wipe me out.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have an Oregon Scientific A2K video camera. Shit compared to some of the gear you can get now, but does the job. Go Pros are quite good for the money (but still a few quid). When I went surfing one of the guys stuck one to his surfboard.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm thinking more in the £20-£30 range.....so like a tenth the cost of a go-pro

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@ColSonders - you should send Morten Bambara an PM on Facebook. He's an kind of tech wiz and I know he's got some experiencee with this.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The problem with cameras in this price range is that image quality isn't brilliant (it's OK) and battery life will only last 25-30 mins at best. Also they won't be waterproof, which is probably the time you most need to have a camera when riding a motor bike.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Google a "mobius". Its what I use on my Hex and a shed load cheaper than a go-pro.

Not sure abiut uk prices but could be an option for ya.

But as @DrewePeacock said, its gonna be him. And if he misses I think me and @Bloodfairy are 4th in the queue :hi:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I had a look at the Mobius, it's a little on the expensive side here at around £60.

The reason I don't want to spend much is that there's a very good chance it'll be to throw away if I do have an accident, so don't want to have to replace an expensive camera.

I'm getting one of the ones I've linked earlier, which if it's not much good will get strapped to the back of my bike pointing backwards as i'm sure it'll be fine for that anyway.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with @Martok regarding the quality at this price range, try to consider what kind of price you wish to put on your safety. Low quality video may hinder your case should you ever need to use this in court. The general budget range for HD helmet cams is typically around the 80-100 mark.

:evil: I fitted a second under the seat of my mountain bike pointing backwards to catch the sods approaching as well

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Whichever one you choose, try to find reviews/youtube vids first to see if you like the quality! Some are really blurry, especially cheap chinese ones.

And as for throw-away... If the accident isn't your fault, the other party's insurance should cover it, right?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Whichever one you choose, try to find reviews/youtube vids first to see if you like the quality! Some are really blurry, especially cheap chinese ones.

And as for throw-away... If the accident isn't your fault, the other party's insurance should cover it, right?
9 times out of 10 the cyclist is always favoured. The Road Traffic Act is designed to protect all road users and compensate them for loss or injury. For pedestrians and cyclists who dont pay for insurance, this equates to the motor insurer picking up the tab. The courts will make round pegs fit in square holes to ensure third parties are covered, even if at fault.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cool....so bottom line is don't bother if you can't afford something way over your budget :drinks:

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cool....so bottom line is don't bother if you can't afford something way over your budget :drinks:
Well, as long as you can still buy food etc. :P

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My follow up response is a little late but the...

Sunco® DREAM 2 SJ4000 Action Video Full HD 1080p 12MP Waterproof Sports Camera With 1.5 -inch High Definition Screen (Black)

is down to £35 @ Amazon at the moment which is an absolute bargin