Hello

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
Hi guys, on the advice of my children I searched for a forum for (seasoned gamers) I owned a ps3 from conception but never switched it on, it was great for securing a dog sitter now and again! Now that I have retired I’m in need of entertainment. I bought a PS4 and all the vr goodies And it appears I won’t have a problem getting a dog caretaker for the foreseeable! I’m not learning anything from my sons though and hope to pick up some info here. Brand new to shooting and driving I will definitely not be your first choice for a companion but I’m enjoying it. 55 years old gaming virgin. Boon

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome to Senior Gamers, @boonotis! :waving:

So how did you find us, was it really just by a search on Google? Or some other method?

Was the PS3 really your first console, or have you played video games in the past? I've been playing for around 40 years now (I'm only just a little younger than you ;) ) and my first 'games machine' was a ZX81 and first console was the Intellivision. I jumped on the Sony bandwagon with the PlayStation 1 and have remained with them ever since.

You have a PS4 with VR - that'll bring the likes of @zoob and @NVranya here with suggestions and recommendations for good games. Do you have any particular games already? What do you think of VR? I've not jumped into VR yet.

Are there any particular games or genres that you enjoy? Shooters? Platform games? Action Adventure stories?

There's a fair bit played around here at the moment. The Division 2 has caught a bunch of us and there's always some playing on most days. Others are enjoying Warframe, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Battlefield V, Days Gone and more besides.

Make yourself at home and hopefully some of us will catch up with you online soon. :)

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
you are never too old to drop a grenade on your foot and empty a clip into an innocent tree. What games are you playing? I don't have VR, so I can't help you there, and to be fair I am not really the person to ask for hints and tips as I am pretty poor at most games,. I am sure one of our elite players like Martok will be along soon to offer his assistance, perhaps elite is too stronger word, "special" might be a better word. too late he beat me to it, sigh

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
Welcome to Senior Gamers, @boonotis! :waving:

So how did you find us, was it really just by a search on Google? Or some other method?

Was the PS3 really your first console, or have you played video games in the past? I've been playing for around 40 years now (I'm only just a little younger than you ;) ) and my first 'games machine' was a ZX81 and first console was the Intellivision. I jumped on the Sony bandwagon with the PlayStation 1 and have remained with them ever since.

You have a PS4 with VR - that'll bring the likes of @zoob and @NVranya here with suggestions and recommendations for good games. Do you have any particular games already? What do you think of VR? I've not jumped into VR yet.

Are there any particular games or genres that you enjoy? Shooters? Platform games? Action Adventure stories?

There's a fair bit played around here at the moment. The Division 2 has caught a bunch of us and there's always some playing on most days. Others are enjoying Warframe, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Battlefield V, Days Gone and more besides.

Make yourself at home and hopefully some of us will catch up with you online soon. :)
It was a google search! And I forgot about owning an Atari st520 (I think) I dabbled in the first midi music setup with it, truly astounding at the time but my keyboard synth skills are atrocious so it took technology a while to catch up with my limitations, I use cubase and Logic now, I had so many other things to do I never got involved with gaming at all, my band mates all had consoles but I was more interested in the recording side of it. I’ve tried grand turismo, and the vr worlds games, the console came with Spider-Man (boys play that and ignore me) resident evil but I’ve never been on it yet and Farpoint came with the aim (had to lie down for an hour and let the barfness pass with that one) I’ve pre ordered blood and truth that’s coming on the 29

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
Also, it was the vr that made me think about it in the first place, my brother owns a setup that I tried last month, it’s very impressive, just like you’d imagine virtual reality to be. I have built up a little resistance to the motion sickness on some of the games (best to not over do it) if your queasy put it down for a bit. Grand turismo is limited in vr but astonishingly entertaining and captivating, I liked London heist which is why I’ve ordered blood and truth and the scavenger oddessy is easy to get lost in too. Much fun to be had

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
you are never too old to drop a grenade on your foot and empty a clip into an innocent tree. What games are you playing? I don't have VR, so I can't help you there, and to be fair I am not really the person to ask for hints and tips as I am pretty poor at most games,. I am sure one of our elite players like Martok will be along soon to offer his assistance, perhaps elite is too stronger word, "special" might be a better word. too late he beat me to it, sigh
Hi there, well my joining your ranks will ensure you’ll never be last in any list of ability, I’m sure I’ll get loads of tips and such from everyone here as 4 weeks amounts to my total playing career! 👍

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Alright dude, you'll be ok here as we're all about the fun and not the stats, Welcome.

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
Thanks pal, I just dug out the ps3 with games I bought for my boys, James Bond,,, I am a different level of pish, how did gamers get so good at aiming with a wiggly stick? Beats me. I’ll stick to getting shot with the vr at least I can aim that.
Ps
It’s back in the cupboard

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome!
As stated before, never too late to see what you've been missing out on! :)

Don't worry about the sickness, most people need to grow those VR legs and usually you'll adapt to it after a bit.

Sounds like you already made some good (VR) choices. You mentioned the AIM (nice), but I would also recommend finding a pair of motion controllers if you don't have those yet.
You probably have enough to do, but some other recommendations VR wise and my personally preferred controller type: Rush of Blood (use motion), Battle Zone (dualshock), Arizona Sunshine (AIM), Super Hot (motion), Ace Combat 7 (only a few VR missions, but man, they rock! Use HOTAS for this one), Skyrim (dualshock).
For non VR, although there are many more good ones out there, but for starters: Last of Us, Uncharted series, God of War

Happy gaming!

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Firewall with the Aim controller all the way dude.
And greetings!

RenegadeX501

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
Welcome Boonotis. As a fellow newbie, it’s good to have you onboard.

I play games for the story, not the difficulty. In fact, I like to be tested so I feel like a pro but...and this is important...I never want to die as that’s just wasting my time. So I choose my difficulty setting carefully haha.

How are you enjoying the VR?

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome!
As stated before, never too late to see what you've been missing out on! :)

Don't worry about the sickness, most people need to grow those VR legs and usually you'll adapt to it after a bit.

Sounds like you already made some good (VR) choices. You mentioned the AIM (nice), but I would also recommend finding a pair of motion controllers if you don't have those yet.
You probably have enough to do, but some other recommendations VR wise and my personally preferred controller type: Rush of Blood (use motion), Battle Zone (dualshock), Arizona Sunshine (AIM), Super Hot (motion), Ace Combat 7 (only a few VR missions, but man, they rock! Use HOTAS for this one), Skyrim (dualshock).
For non VR, although there are many more good ones out there, but for starters: Last of Us, Uncharted series, God of War

Happy gaming!
Hi there, I did get the move controllers and have used them with the London heist (only a sample type game as you’ll know) jeez I got right into it! My Scottishness was the only drawback in adopting a cockney twang, I’m no good with accents, it sounded more South African? I’ve ordered Skyrim and bought 4 non vr games on eBay just waiting for them to arrive. The vr section on gran turismo is epic! Spent all day on that today. I’ve yet to see how I’ll get on without vr, I guess there won’t be many with that problem, I’ll keep you updated

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
Welcome Boonotis. As a fellow newbie, it’s good to have you onboard.

I play games for the story, not the difficulty. In fact, I like to be tested so I feel like a pro but...and this is important...I never want to die as that’s just wasting my time. So I choose my difficulty setting carefully haha.

How are you enjoying the VR?
Hi there, the vr was actually my reason for trying the gaming thing and to be honest I’m loving it, iv never really played any games on screen but I’m going to give it a go, thinking about buying Superhot when my allowance permits (or if I’m over town with the card on my own) everything I’m playing at the moment is using the “stabiliser” mode kiddies level but I’m happy to be the also ran, if I migrate up to entry level I’ll give everyone a shout!

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've tried to send you a friend request on PSN, but you're not allowing it @boonotis.
Feel free to send some FR's out if you want.

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
I've tried to send you a friend request on PSN, but you're not allowing it @boonotis.
Feel free to send some FR's out if you want.
My setup was installed by my sons, I remember one of them asking something about friends? I will have a look

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome @boonotis !
I’m a bit late to the party, so I’m sure you’ve settled down already.

boonotis

Occasional Gamer
Reaction score
Thanks plaxinator, haven’t visited the last few days but great forum