The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Hello Senior Gamers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by worcswarrior, 2 Oct 2012.

1. worcswarrior

worcswarrior Newbie Gamer

PSN:
    worcswarrior
    Hi, my name is Simon. If you meet me in game I will be " worcswarrior " or "worcs" for short. I am 54 years old , so I guess that means that I pass the first membership qualification with flying colours! (is there a "Very Senior Gamers" group?). I live in Worcestershire in England .

I cut my gaming teeth many years ago on the Atari ST. Does anyone remember the game Speedball? That was my favourite, with Dungeon Master running a close second.

I have only come to online gaming relatively recently. I started a couple of years ago on the PS3 with Black Ops. Needless to say, for sometime I was fodder for the COD kids and Nuke Town in particular seemed like a blur of explosions and death.....with me providing most of the death. However, I gradually improved to the point where I was getting a few kills myself and lifting my performance away from the bottom of the table.

Currently, I am a big BF3 fan and play for at least a couple of hours in the evening (GMT)from Sunday to Thursday. On Friday and Saturday evenings I am visiting my girlfriend and she wouldn't take kindly to me bringing the Playstation along.

I have already found a handful of BF3 buddies that I play with on a regular basis but when I saw Senior Gamers I immediately thought that there is a group where I may fit in without feeling like Grandad who has wondered in to the school disco!

2. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Hi Simon and welcome, another BF3 fan :) most of us here are in to BF3 but with the release of Borderlands 2 we seem to be splitting our gaming time between both of them.

We normally have a Thursday night session on our BF3 server so if your free you should jump on and have a laugh with us.

(not me though I'm on the dreaded nightshift)

3. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Oh! Speedball! How we all coo'd over the voice synthesis of an usher shouting "Ice cream! Ice cream!" in the crowd at half time. I've actually got the remake they did for PSN on the PS3 something I picked up through my partners PS Plus subscription.

We've a good number of BF players although currently both real life and life on Pandora (Borderlands 2) have taken us away from it but regular sessions are held on Thursdays. We're quite a varied community of gamers and I'd guess at an average age somewhere around the 40s mark. Uncharted, Killzone, Battlefield are our regular organised evenings with Saturday night spent at the races rather than the movies.

I note that you fly the Sons of Fallen Heroes SoFH tag on Battlelog so would I be correct in presuming that you're after joining us an Ally rather than an SNR tag wearing full member?

4. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    Hiya nice to see you up on the dancefloor, I remember Dungeon master, still have a copy somewhere on for my old Amiga, never really got into it, but it was very advanced for its time, a first person dungeon crawl if I recall, although it was actual a sort of flick screen affair.

BF3 is very popular here, although just at the minute a lot of us are distracted by Borderlands 2.

We also play a wide range of other games, killzone , uncharted, burnout etc, basically if there is something you want to play dont keep quiet about it, you will be surprised what games people have stashed away here.

5. worcswarrior

PSN:
    worcswarrior
    Wow! that was quick. Thanks for the replies. I will certainly look to join the Thursday evening BF3 session. I haven't played Borderlands 2, but it must be worth a play if so many of you have been distracted from the Battlefield. I enjoyed Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 but I haven't tried the later versions as I have been concentrating on BF3. I guess that I may try a few more games if I have others to play them with.

HaloJ, with regard to the category of membership that I am after, I think that Ally would be best at this stage,as I wouldn't want to upset my SoFH pals.

Many thanks
    Worcs

6. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I enjoyed Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 was ace. Uncharted 3 left me a bit cold after coming to it later than everyone else as they'd added a perk system which punished the lower ranked player, which they added to and made worse with the most recent patch. :?

Killzone 3 is quite good but utterly rife with campers and a wednesday night doesn't go by without seeing the big white "such a player was kicked and banned by and admin" message as someone is caught cheating. :? There's a bargain multiplayer version on the PS store which includes all of the DLC and the MP game in one neat little package. It loads quicker than the BluRay version as well. :D

7. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    Hi worcs, you're only a little upstream from me as I'm in Tewkesbury. Good to see another midlander sign up as frankly I'm bored of eating Eccles cakes in the members lounge!

Anyway, by all means bung me a FR and join us on the battlefield on Thursday.

Are there any other current titles you are playing?

8. worcswarrior

PSN:
    worcswarrior
    I will check that out in the PS store later :thumbup:

9. worcswarrior

PSN:
    worcswarrior
    Thanks Chriss, I'll do that. I visited Tewkesbury last summer and ended up going to the top of the Abbey tower.....great view!

I seem to have concentrated on BF3 of late but I'm beginning to think that it's time I got a new game and widened my horizons. Borderlands 2 seems to be a popular choice?

10. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Welcome to our home, Worcs. :)

Borderlands 2 - IMO it's a great game with plenty of hours of play in it. I loved the first one and this sequel is more of the same but much better.

We like to play a range of games round here as well as BF3 so there's plenty to join in with. Killzone 3 is great fun and if you do consider buying it from the PSN store then we play on Wednesdays and you'd be welcome to join us. There's also Uncharted 3 as has been mentioned and a few folk love playing GT5 if you like driving games. Many of us are looking forward to Need for Speed: Most Wanted, due out next month.

So, do tell us more about SoFL. Do they just play BF3 or do they play other games too? What's the age range of SoFL, are they all old like you? ;) (I'm 45 so I'm not exactly a spring chicken :lol: ) Do you have a website and forum to chat on? I usually pop over to other communities to say hello and arrange some inter-community games.

11. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    :wave: Hi Simon, nice to meet you

And your age is not a problem. In fact you're in very good company already. Ive added you on Battlelog, and when I next log on to the PS3 I'll bung you a Friends Request (I need to make some space first :roll: ). Just to confuse you Im Torquemada on the PS3.

BF3 is pretty popular here. Borderlands is the current distraction as others have said, but everyone keeps coming back to BF3. But to be honest, we're all fans of games full stop so you'll bound to be able to buddy up with one of us online for a game or two of your particular poison.

Hope you can make Thursday night. Im on too so heres hoping we're on the same side, especially if you can grab Martoks dog tags too :thumbup:

12. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    So, you found the only dry spot in Tewkesbury then!

I'm not the one to advise you regarding Borderlands as I don't have it, I'm one of the petrol heads here so other than the obligatory BF3 it's Gt5 for me and looking forward to the release of NFS most wanted for some hooligan car based fun.

See you online soon I hope.

13. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Hi Worcs, nice to meet you. Have you met Acegadgets yet? He's about your age and probably was right next to you when you fine soldiers stormed the Normandy beaches on D-day ;)

Make yourself at home and I hope to see you online sometime.

14. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Aye we had to save the bloody Dutch, as they arent very good at defending themselves.

Simon, I wouldn't rush out and buy Borderlands just yet, Its a pretty decent game but I dont really think it has the longlivity of BF3.
    I'm looking forward to MOH Warfighter in a few weeks. Looks pretty similar to battlefield 3 but you get to play as a number of various special forces units against terroristy types in real hot spots around the world. The Buddy system looks like it could work well and the videos for the game look outstanding.

Also on my to buy list is the new need for speed (most wanted ) which is the next Burnout Paradice by the looks of things. A lot of us here will be grtting that
    Also on the agenda is far Cry 3, loved the last one, and looking forward to spending many hours on the map creator.

I dont think the next Black Ops is going to be a big hit with us, as most of us oldies cant really compete with the young uns on such a fast paced shooter in such a small enviroment.

15. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    The longevity of Borderlands is really down to how and who you play with. If you're going to rush through the levels on your own ignoring the extra silly challenges then yes it's a short haul game. I've been playing it through for the challenges even though most aren't trophy related, enjoying the scenery and the majesty of the games design and always looking for that special gun. It's a geeks game with masses of detail and lots hidden little jokes, suits me. :D

I had a chance to get a good look at Black Ops at the Eurogamer Expo. It's yet another CoD where everyone looks to be sliding around on hover boards. There's no weight to the character at all and graphically felt a bit sub par.

16. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    No no no, i think your missing the best aspect of the game halo, custom games with your mates :D

I'd buy the game just for the custom matches and would see everything else such as online multi player, 8 player zombies, campaign etc as a bonus.

There's a lot of good games out there which look and play better, but i can't think of one that is more fun with your mates than blops custom games :lol:

17. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Not sure it's worth the £50 price tag just for custom games :lol: zombies is okay but it's been done i know this time it's a little different but to be honest if the game plays like the rest I won't be getting it. If it goes below £20 or is on a great special deal I will get it but that's it.

18. worcswarrior

PSN:
    worcswarrior
    Hey, what a friendly bunch! Probably, won't be quite so friendly if you ever have the bad luck to get in an helicopter with me as pilot on BF3! Slaine, thanks for befriending me on Battlelog already and I look forward to meeting you all in game. :D

I was asked about my platoon tag SoFH. They are actually an offshoot platoon of GOML (Get Off My Lawn!). You may be remember Clint Eastwood in Gran Turismo uttering these words which have been adopted by GOML as "the battle cry of the older guy". GOML was set up by GhostRifle, a yank, as a platoon for the more mature battlefield gamer.

Nearly all the guys are over 30 and many older. I was please to find that Ghost is even older than me, and that's really really old!

I was the first Brit to join GOML, amongst a handful of Yanks and Canadians. There are now around sixty members of GOML with a few more Brits and other Europeans most of whom are now in the offshoot platoon SoFH. GOML are a terrific bunch of mainly synical and grumpy old codgers who don't take the game too seriously but still enjoy a good :rant: . In fact I see many similarities between GOML and SNR, though they are only BF3

19. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    GOML I like that!! Sounds like we should get a few friendly games going with these guys. Could be a chuckle. We've had some games with Hope and Gaming Oldies, and you can never have too many friends.

And I forgot to add you to my PSN friends again!! I'll do it tomorrow!!

20. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    So what does SoFH stand for?
    We are all currently Europeans in the SNRs, We've had a couple of Australians pop in but the time zone is a bit of a problem for gaming. Perhaps we should try to recruit some players from the other side of the Atlantic for those that stay up late at night to play with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice