Hello from Germany

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just created my account here, as I found you on a search on the PSN Communities.

Something about me. I am from southern Germany, am 45 years old now. As is that, English is my second language, but I will try to make as few mistakes as possible.

Onto my gaming history. I started years ago on C64 and switched later to the Amiga 500. A 2000 (which I still own) came later. On the end of the Amiga lifecycle, I went pretty much into PC gaming, but later went for consoles, as I found it more convenient to game in the living room. First I got a 360, followed by a PS3. The latter was some kind of mis-buy, as it collected more and more dust as I chose the 360 as my main gaming system. Then the now-current-gen arrived. So I got a PS4 as a present. Because of my experiences with the previous gen, I was disappointed, so I also got me an XBox one. Only that this time, that experience was reversed: My One was collecting dust and I now almost only play the PS4.

Online-wise, I started with a 2400 baud modem, connected to the Amiga, polling posts off the MAUS-net. Later I switched to ISDN (on a Linux-based machine as forwarder) and then DSL.

So, that was a big wall of text and if you want to know more, just post. :)

Regards,
Grooooog.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Greetings Grooooog, loving the handle (username).
Where did it come from?
And welcome!

What games are you currently playing?

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome to SNR @Grooooog
I met a couple of Germans in Spain last week (they could knock back their drinks that's for sure!).

What games are you playing at the moment? We have a mix of games being played here. A lot like Warframe and Elite Dangerous. Many are playing Battlefield, and now Destiny 2. I am a big Destiny fan.

PS agree with the Xbox One. Mine is gathering dust also.

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi Zoob,

thanks for that compliment. It game from the game Grogs Revenge on the C64, where that cavement screamed "Groooooog" when you encountered him for too long.

Currently I am playing mostly PSVR games when I have the time to. Yesterday I dug out my old steering wheel for Gran Tourismo 5, which made quite some fun playing it after such a long time. GT5 was one of the few games I played on the PS3 back then.

I have quite a long backlist of games nowadays. Mostly, I love puzzles and adventures. Recently I bought ChromaGun (unfortunately currently without PSVR and AIM-Support, but I spoke with the devs and they want to patch that one in), also Thimbleweed Park is high on my list to go on with. Also I want to catch up on Werewolves Within and Bridge Commander, as I bought them for social reasons but since then I only managed to play a little of them. I am not a kind of mainstream gamer.

Regards,
Grooooog.

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hello Plaxinator

I met a couple of Germans in Spain last week (they could knock back their drinks that's for sure!).

What games are you playing at the moment? We have a mix of games being played here. A lot like Warframe and Elite Dangerous. Many are playing Battlefield, and now Destiny 2. I am a big Destiny fan.

PS agree with the Xbox One. Mine is gathering dust also.
Well, yes, Germans can drink some drinks. I hope they still behaved. :)

Please see my last post on the games list. I never played Warframe and to be honest, that Elite Dangerous control scheme on the PS4 is, well, how do I put it, garbage. Also, I never got into Destiny I, so I guess I will pass on Destiny II as well. Also, as I wrote, I am more into Puzzles and Adventures. So I am quite keen on getting my hands on Talos Principle II, hopefully this time in VR.

Regards,
Grooooog.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome, Groot

er, I mean Grog!

er, I mean @Grooooog! :waving:

We have a few other Europeans on here, such as @Spruijt and @NVranya, as well as some others from the US and other parts of the globe. Most of us are from the UK, but not all of us want Brexit ;)

Nice bit of gaming history there, good to hear about your roots. I dreamed of owning a C64, the rich kids had those, us poor-uns could only afford a ZX81 and ZX Spectrum. I did manage to get an Intellivision with it's "3D" graphics.

that Elite Dangerous control scheme on the PS4 is, well, how do I put it, garbage.
Them there's fighting word! :grandpa: I'm an Elite player on the PS4, I find the controls to be fine, OK there aren't as many buttons as on the PC keyboard but them I like the comfort of sitting in front of the TV in the lounge with a controller and not having to faff with PC hardware specs. Our resident expert on multi-platform Elite is @c00ky who has been playing it on PC since it was released and he now also plays it on the PS4. I'm sure you can have a discussion with him about the pros and cons of control scheme setups. ;)

There's a few PSVR players on here, do have a look for threads on PSVR games and feel free to join in these, or indeed any discussions, or even start some yourself.

Anyway, welcome to Senior Gamers, make yourself at home and hopefully I'll see you online at some point. :)

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome @Grooooog !

Yes Elite: dangerous is a Marmite* game (I love Marmite!), have to say from playing on my PC with a HOTAS it was a teeth gritting few hours to "learn" the DS4, happily the few tweaks I made meqans I dont boost to often when in a space station and can weave around Ananconda's with ease.

I am a PSVR, but mostly its for the kids to briefly use to play Job Simulator whilst I await release of PSVR Elder Scrolls version later this year.

@HERMAN_JELMET went full HOTAS on Elite and loves it, (I couldn't hide 2 from my nearest and dearest so strufggle on with the DS4)

Hope to see you online soon!

*Dunno if Germany has Marmite or Vegemite??

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Currently I am playing mostly PSVR games when I have the time to. Yesterday I dug out my old steering wheel for Gran Tourismo 5, which made quite some fun playing it after such a long time. GT5 was one of the few games I played on the PS3 back then.
I've been playing Dirt Rally VR (brilliant!), Driveclub VR, Battle Zone, Polybius and a little bit of EVE Valkyrie & RIGS but only a little of this last 2 as they properly need VR legs.

Also, I have Elite Dangerous on both PC & PS4 and although the controls took a while to become accustomed to, I do prefer it on the PS4 now. Sitting at the pc is a little too much like being at work! ;)

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Puzzles and Adventures. So I am quite keen on getting my hands on Talos Principle II, hopefully this time in VR..
Great title. I believe the first pc version supports VR & it would be really nice if they ported both that and The Witness to PSVR. :)

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
We have a few other Europeans on here, such as @Spruijt and @NVranya ... most of us are from the UK, but not all of us want Brexit ;)
Hate to break it to you @Martok, but you islanders are also still Europeans, just like us continentals, even if you don't know which side of the road you're supposed to use. :D

Hey there @Grooooog !
Eilte with DS is doable, but I'll admit I preferred the HOTAS to fly. I'm also one of the VR users on here although I haven't touched it in a while, but perhaps a few of us can group up for some bridge crew or something one day, or perhaps RIGS if @zoob gets his VR feet sorted. :)

Personally I'm looking forward to Skyrim VR and Fallout VR and to kill the time in between I've picked up Pillars of Eternity, an old school type of cRPG (yes ,that means sh*tloads of reading, but it's a perfect game to pause when family duties call).

Feel free to add me on PSN if you want!

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi Martok,

We have a few other Europeans on here, such as @Spruijt and @NVranya, as well as some others from the US and other parts of the globe. Most of us are from the UK, but not all of us want Brexit ;)
I was advised on my last trip to Northern Ireland not to mention Brexit. :)
But after some pints in a small local pub, the people automatically switched to that topic.

Nice bit of gaming history there, good to hear about your roots. I dreamed of owning a C64, the rich kids had those, us poor-uns could only afford a ZX81 and ZX Spectrum. I did manage to get an Intellivision with it's "3D" graphics.
The Speccies weren't as popular here as they were in the UK, so it had to be a breadbin, if you want to play with friends.

Them there's fighting word! :grandpa: I'm an Elite player on the PS4, I find the controls to be fine, OK there aren't as many buttons as on the PC keyboard but them I like the comfort of sitting in front of the TV in the lounge with a controller and not having to faff with PC hardware specs. Our resident expert on multi-platform Elite is @c00ky who has been playing it on PC since it was released and he now also plays it on the PS4. I'm sure you can have a discussion with him about the pros and cons of control scheme setups. ;)
That comfort is why I went for the consoles. I guess you can get used to that controls on the DS4, but convenience is a different hat ;)

There's a few PSVR players on here, do have a look for threads on PSVR games and feel free to join in these, or indeed any discussions, or even start some yourself.
Yeah, thanks, I will take a look around when I find the time.

Anyway, welcome to Senior Gamers, make yourself at home and hopefully I'll see you online at some point. :)
Thank you very much.

Also, I am not familiar with the quoting rules here, so I will make a post per answer.

Regards,
Grooooog.

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi c00ky,

Yes Elite: dangerous is a Marmite* game (I love Marmite!), have to say from playing on my PC with a HOTAS it was a teeth gritting few hours to "learn" the DS4, happily the few tweaks I made meqans I dont boost to often when in a space station and can weave around Ananconda's with ease.
*Dunno if Germany has Marmite or Vegemite??
I have never seen Marmite here and had to google it :)
As said, I guess you can get used to that, but it has quite a learning curve. But, as an EvE veteran, I guess I can learn that, too. ;)

I am a PSVR, but mostly its for the kids to briefly use to play Job Simulator whilst I await release of PSVR Elder Scrolls version later this year.
Oh yeah, Skyrim is definitely on my must-have list. I am through Job Simulator, but, like many PSVR games, I found it of little replay value.

Hope to see you online soon!
Thank you.

Regards,
Grooooog.

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi zoob,

I've been playing Dirt Rally VR (brilliant!), Driveclub VR, Battle Zone, Polybius and a little bit of EVE Valkyrie & RIGS but only a little of this last 2 as they properly need VR legs.
I was a little disappointed with the graphics on Driveclub. Also I would love to play racing games with a wheel, but unfortunately Logitech refuses to make the Driving Force GT compatible with the PS4.

What would be cool, is if they release a little less horror games on the PSVR and a little more puzzlers.

Also, I have Elite Dangerous on both PC & PS4 and although the controls took a while to become accustomed to, I do prefer it on the PS4 now. Sitting at the pc is a little too much like being at work! ;)
Yes, I can see that. This is the reason for my console gaming. If I want to sit in the office, I want to code and less to play. Also my office at home is really crowded and not very comfy, so I prefer the living room.

Great title. I believe the first pc version supports VR & it would be really nice if they ported both that and The Witness to PSVR. :)
Yes, but again, PC. Unfortunately my PC is not really fast enough for modern games and I do not want to play on the server, as it controls my complete house :)

Regards,
Grooooog.

Grooooog

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi NVranya,

Eilte with DS is doable, but I'll admit I preferred the HOTAS to fly. I'm also one of the VR users on here although I haven't touched it in a while, but perhaps a few of us can group up for some bridge crew or something one day, or perhaps RIGS if @zoob gets his VR feet sorted. :)
Playing a nice round of bridge crew or something would be cool. Haven't done that yet and need to practice a little first.

Personally I'm looking forward to Skyrim VR and Fallout VR and to kill the time in between I've picked up Pillars of Eternity, an old school type of cRPG (yes ,that means sh*tloads of reading, but it's a perfect game to pause when family duties call).
I am not so fond of Fallout VR, as I have only played Fallout 4 and never got attached to it unfortunately. Skyrim VR is definitely on the list.

Feel free to add me on PSN if you want!
Ok, I will, thank you.

Regards,
Groooooog.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was advised on my last trip to Northern Ireland not to mention Brexit. :)
But after some pints in a small local pub, the people automatically switched to that topic.
Funnily enough Brexit was a common topic of conversation between my group of friends in Alicante. I am against it, and the French guy (and sometimes one of the Germans), used to bring the topic up just to try and wind me up.