The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Hello all

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jonnywombat, 12 Mar 2013.

1. jonnywombat

jonnywombat Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    jonnywombat
    I am Jonny, a forty odd year old gamer from North Wales.

I have played games from the days of the spectrum, vic20, sega master system (which i still own and it works :) ), then a break for a while, picking back up with PSX, PS2, Xbox, wii, ps3.

I play lots of driving games, which I guess the love of them started with outrun, in the arcade, when I was about 16, spending lunch breaks at college trying too and eventually completing it.
    Currently I am laying NFSMW, and GT5.

I also play other games, for a change of pace, such as Skyrim, and just having a look at mass effect 3 (as it was free in PS+)

Please feel free to add me on PSN, as I am lacking friends, real life friends are non gamers or on xbox, so all requests gratefully received. :wave:

Jonny

2. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Hey Jonny nice to meet another North Walian!

You'll fit in well here, they are a great crowd and a fair few love driving games and have GT5 & NFSMW. In fact Mick has a GT5 event this Sat if you're interested in joining.

3. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Howdy - will add you this evening. Welcome!

4. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Welcome to SNR Wombat.

I don't play much in the way of driving games these days although back in the day I did a similar thing with Outrun, and Virtua Racing, Daytona USA and Sega Rally....Sega really have had some excellent arcade racing titles over the years. Anyway, I do own NFS:MW and occasionally get on it when I can drag myself away from BF3 so hopefully will catch you online at some point for a bit of racing/crashing action.

As Plaxi mentioned we've got a bit of a following on GT5 here so no doubt you'll be able to get on with some of the other guys and girls here.

5. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Hi Jonny, like Plaxinator has said we have a small Gt5 tournament kicking off at 9pm this Saturday and moving on to the following Saturday too. I'm more of a FPS guy myself, I loved skyrim, only played for 300 hours ;) I wish it had multiplayer like oblivion but hey ho.

We have a NFS MW event once a month I think on Tuesdays or Wednesdays it's great fun taking people out :D

I have Mass Effect 3 and with it coming to PS+ I'm hoping to get on a little more. My life is a little messed up currently so I'm not gaming a such as I would like, I hope to be back in full swing in a month.

Do you have a headset? It's just we like to have friendly banter when gaming. Will I assume your PSid is the same as your username for here?

6. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    #6 mick, 12 Mar 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: 2 Oct 2013
  7. jonnywombat

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    jonnywombat
    Hi again, and thanks for the welcome.

I GT5 session online on saturday evening sounds just the ticket, and have secured an evening pass from SWMBO, so I look forward to meeting up with you then. I checked out your link Mick, but I get "a you are not authorised error"

My reactions are not quick enough to be competitive at FPS, i end up getting killed a LOT!!. Cannon fodder I believe the term is!

I do have a headset somewhere, I will look it out and charge it up in readiness. If I cant find it I'll pick one up.

My PSN ID is the same as my username here, I look forward to having a slightly longer friends list!!

Jonny

8. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Ah yes that will be down to the powers that be. Well this is the important bits from that post.

Cars that are allowed are the following:

Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08
    Audi A4 Touring Car '04
    ABT Audi TT-R Touring Car '02
    Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
    Audi R8 LMS Race Car (Team Playstation) '09
    Mercedes CLK Touring Car '00
    Vauxhall Astra Super Touring Car '00
    Opel Astra Touring Car '00
    (These are also allowed but have about 50-60pp less than the others)
    Alfa 155 2.5 V6 TI '93
    Mercedes 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II Touring Car '92
    Vauxhall Calibra Super Touring Car '94
    Opel Calibra Touring Car '94

There will be a PP limit of 620 and tyres are going to be restricted to Racing Hard.

Each Race will be 5 laps

The first weeks tracks will be as follows.
    Indy Road Course
    Daytona SS
    Monza
    Tsukuba
    Laguna Seca

9. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Hey Jonny, welcome to SNR. Make yourself at home and I'll send you a FR later today.

10. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Hi Jonny welcome to SNR, how did you find out about us? We're always looking for new people to game with! :)

I'm rubbish at racers but shooting I do! ;)

11. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Welcome to Senior Gamers, jonny! :wave:

BTW, do you love jazz? If you hate it, do you have shattered dreams?

Anyway, we're a friendly bunch around here and we do like our driving games, so it would be good if you could join us on Saturday. I've now upped your access rights so you can now see the Event forum, so stick your name down in the event thread if you'd like to come along.

So, how did you hear about this place? Also, are you after full membership? You can read a bit more about this in the About section at the top of the forums. If you're up for it, you get a few extra goodies on the website including a community section and a chat bar system with private chat and a chat room (plus even more with our new website which is coming soon, but that's hush hush at the moment ;) ) All we ask in return is to play online with you with comms so we can say hello and have a laugh as we game and for you to fly the [SNR] tags in online games to help advertise this community. That's it. If you don't fancy this then you can still join in our online games though. :)

BTW, what's the origins of your username?

Hope to see you online soon. :)

12. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Hi Jonnywombat nice to meet you.

So we've another youngster joining the ranks. Im 44 myself!! :grandpa:

Next time Im online I'll bung you a Friends request. You're welcome to send me one first if you like (my PSN is Torquemada just to confuse you).

So what part of Wales are you from? Absolutely love Wales, especially North Wales. Very stunning countryside.

Do you own any other consoles (360, Vita etc)? Fan of Uncharted/Killzone/anything else?

Anyway, hope to see you online soon. :thumbup:

13. jonnywombat

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    jonnywombat
    I found this community by accident. I was trying to workout the online car upgrade mechanism for NFS:MW, and followed a link from google to an article posted here explaining it. From that article it was a short hop to looking around and realising this i the kind of gaming community that I have been looking for. :D

Also thanks Mick for the info regarding the race night. I think I have all the cars eligible in my garage, and a few I use more often than others. Are there any other restrictions such as with the driving aids etc? I normally play with TC and ABS = 1, I am not good enough to race without aids..lol

Hi Martok, I don't like jazz, more a heavy metal, rock nut.. currently listening to a lot of avenged sevenfold.

Full membership would be something I am interested in, and I am planning to be racing on GT5 on Saturday

As for the user name, well it's something I been called for years, not sure why other than I'm rotund and hairy. A friend started it, and it stuck. So it's been jonnywombat online, and offline for last 20 odd years...I even get called wombat, without the Jonny quite a lot in real life... :D

Jonny

14. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    No rules regarding driver aids as we have a variety of driver skill levels from the rather good (cheat) ChrissPeacock down to the drunk driver who also comes from your neck of the woods. (she knows who she is :D)

15. Plaxinator

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    :shifty:

16. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    Hi Jonny and welcome! I will bung you a FR once I fire up the PS ready for Saturday.

Are you a playstation only player or do you have any other systems or a PC too?

Looking forward to having another car on the grid - the more the better! - and don't worry about ability or driving aids especially if you race using a pad, in which case a click or two of traction is a must.
    All we ask is that you do your best to drive clean and wait for your moment to pass (though rubbin' is racing lol) rather than making space by not breaking. Obvious stuff really.

Anyway, see you around 9 on Saturday....

17. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Friend request now sent.

Catch you online at some point!

18. jonnywombat

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    jonnywombat
    Cheers for the friend requests, all appreciated.

Happy to see I am still most wanted on my speedwall!!!

@Chris,

Not only got a ps3, although that is my main platform. I also have a quite meaty laptop, (quad core overclocked and dual Gfxcards) which I play steam games on. The kids have a wii in the playroom, and my son has a xbox360 in his room.

Luckily we have fibre optic BB here, so we have enough bandwidth to all be online at the sametime, without lag.. :D

19. Plaxinator

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Fibre optic BB! I'm guessing you're somewhere in the North East then. I'm not remotely jealous. I think they are starting to upgrade stuff here, or they better had be given the amount of road works we've had lately that look telecom related.

I've got steam, I think there is a driving game on there you might like that CP & co play. Can't remember what it is called though. Project Race Room or something along those lines.

20. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I thought Fibre Optic BB was pretty much available everywhere?

We have had BT's FTTC service rolled out recently in my area and as i'm with O2 and my service is being sold to Sky i've been looking at available packages as I don't think i'll be able to continue with my ADSL2+ subscription for £6.25 a month.

It seems that Sky are piggybacking onto BT's fibre infrastructure as they are offering a fibre package in my area now so I may be getting with the times fairly soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice