PS3 Headsets

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a good cheap headset, the sony thing makes my ear hurt after half hour.

Would prefer a cordless one but if the price is right its not a problem.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Generaly mobile phone usb headsets like nokia ones can be found on ebay under 20 pound.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If youve got an old PS2 headset, these work fine. Obviously theyre not wireless, but theyre certainly more comfortable than any ear piece.

My son swears by his Turtle Beach headset. Theyre not cheap, so it all depends how much it hurts your ear.

I usually have the PS3 earpiece set as loose as possible. It doesnt need to be pressed hard against your face and still works ok.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah any bluetooth headset will work for comms only.

I too would strongly recommend a proper gaming headset, the Turtle Beach ones are very popular, I've got the Sharkoon X-Tatic's (the only headset for PS3 with real surround sound as opposed to virtual surround sound).

If you don't want to spend a lot of money (good surround headsets usually hit 3 figures) you can buy a stereo headset for less than £40 and they are superb, @Bertiepops has a one of the less expensive Stereo headsets and from what i've heard from him it's really good (must nab a try of them) and his comms are now crystal clear. I suspect it's this one.

For reference, losing surround sound in favour of all the extra fine detail that you'll hear over a stereo headset is in my opinion worth it. Even if playing something highly competitive like Battlefield or CoD the extra fine detail you can hear would compensate for the lack of directionality.

If you do go for a cheapy "gaming" headset (i.e. game sounds as well as comms) make sure you have an individual volume control for the comms channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cheers for that, its my birthday in a couple of weeks so I will know then what I have got to spend.

They had a Turtle Beach set in my local Asda, but it was behind the counter in a case so I couldn't see it. Will go back and have another look when I have the cash.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Also bear in mind that if you already have a decent set of cans you can use those in conjunction with the official sony bluetooth headtset by hanging the bluetooth headset off your collar and setting your comms audio output to system default.

This is a trick i've seen a lot of people do when they realised how uncomfortable the official bluetooth headset was for them, myself included. It's not the best solution as you can't adjust the comms volume individually, but it would certainly give you a taste of why so many gamers are using gaming headsets rather than just a comms headset.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
There's very little between them, both are cheap headsets, I imagine similar sound quality and they'll both be similar build quality (not great).

Tritton/Sharkoon seem to have the same products rebranded, unsure if they're the same company or something, but as with Turtle Beach, not exactly brilliant build quality, but good enough for what you're paying.

Just don't buy one of those crappy Turtle Beach £170 "surround" headsets as you can buy an Astro gaming amp to do the virtual surround and a multitude of WAY better headsets to hook up to that for a lot less money.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Those PX21's will suit you fine @mick - I have the PX3's which are basically the wireless version with presets. PX21's are pretty much the wired version of what I have minus the preset option. The cable length should be more than long enough, the USB charging cable that comes with my PX3's are huge, I can sit of the sofa with plenty of cable left.
I have heard a lot of people say the Turtle Beach's are not great build quality but I personally don't see it. I've had mine over a year and they are as new. Having said that I do take good care of my stuff.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have turtle beach usb ones, (coz I never remember to charge wireless one) which are just fine.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Turtle Beach P11's which aren't wireless but cheap & loud, with plenty of bass!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-Amplified-Stereo-Headset/dp/B004R9Q1IK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370260719&sr=8-1&keywords=headset+ps3+turtle+beach

If I'm gaming solo then I'll wear my Sennheiser Pros though - I find the Turtle Beach put a little undue pressure on my glasses over longer sittings.
I've tried those a few months ago. I find the bass to be a little overpowering. Is there any way to reduce that?
Other than that great set for a decent price. Long cable and independant volume control for sound and comms.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I used to have Nokia ones, around £20 then found that iTech ones were pretty much the same but only £15. Both from ebay, wireless, they fit around the back of your head and are really comfy. They are designed for mobile phones . Excellent but a bit flimsy.
I then got some turtle beach ones which were wired , with the brink game when it came out in a package for £49. They lasted a year but the wire connection internally into the side became a bit dodgy and I had to tie it at a funny angle for it to come out of both sides.
I then got some proper big sony playstation 7.1 surround sound cordless ones for the PS3 when I saw them on special offer for £69, usually around £95, similar to those pulse ones.
Not sure if I would get wired ones ever again as the wires on mine snapped.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've tried those a few months ago. I find the bass to be a little overpowering. Is there any way to reduce that?
Other than that great set for a decent price. Long cable and independant volume control for sound and comms.
You should be able to alter that via your system preferences. I know you can certainly adjust bass & treble whilst watching films, so guessing you can do so for games too?

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You should be able to alter that via your system preferences. I know you can certainly adjust bass & treble whilst watching films, so guessing you can do so for games too?
Nope, no such settings.

Unfortunately most "gaming" headsets are configured like this, for some reason they think you want your skull cracked in by all the bass from explosions when using headsets.

This is where paying a little more and getting a higher spec set pays off as you have inline controls and/or control box options for adjusting different aspects.

The Sharkoon X-Tatics I have are really good for this as there is a master game volume, an independent chat volume and individual volumes for each speaker set / channel (centre/front/back/bass) so you can just lower the bass volume...and if you're struggling to hear in game voice (not comms chat) you'll find that upping the centre channel will help just as in movies.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just thought that I would add an update.

I bought the Turtle Beach PX21 from Asda, they were 40 quid but they were doing 10 quid off, and I got another 20 off of that ;) so I got them for a tenner, Bargain.

I am very pleased with them as well, nice to have the separate volume control for sound and chat, and a separate bass adjustment. Only 1 downside and that is that they are wired but a plus goes to having loads of cable. I have no complaints about build quality either, and having no kids left at home to get there grubby mitts on them I hope they will last a good while as well.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Wired is the way forward anyway mate. :1thumbup:

Wireless headsets run out during long sessions and the sound quality bombs once the voltage out of the battery starts dropping.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Wired is the way forward anyway mate. :1thumbup:

Wireless headsets run out during long sessions and the sound quality bombs once the voltage out of the battery starts dropping.
Just as well they give you a really long USB charge cable then innit :D

@mick great choice, and a bargain at a tenner!