The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Have you the brain worms?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by zoob, 25 Oct 2012.

1. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Greetings Earth dwellers.

Reckon I'll sign up to be an Ally for now, but hear this you are all doomed, DOOMED I tell thee.

Turned 39 exactly a week ago.

History:
    Texas Instruments TI-99/4;
    BBC Micro B;
    Atari STe 1040;
    Amiga 1200;
    Various incarnations of PC;
    Various Nintendo hand-held dual screen old school thingies;
    Sega GameGear;
    Sony Playstations 1, 2 & PSP.

Currently:
    Sony PS3s;
    Apple MBP 17" 2.66 i7 (2010).

Gaming History:
    Prefer things like E L I T E, Freelancer, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter but sadly these are lacking on the PS3.
    So currently flitting between titles such as Dishonored, Borderlands 2, The Unfinished Swan, 4AM, Battlefield 3, Ridge Racer Unbounded, Mass Effect 3, Kingdoms of Amalur & Skyrim, amongst others.

Heard via Linkie McLinkie on TSA (which should give a clue to current location).

Been programming & creating digital stuff since tender age of 7 or so, experimenting ever since (Atari for music, Amiga for graphics), shame it has little bearing on current employment. I do do various audio-visual things in my spare time, which is becoming ever more endangered, and try to squeeze a bit of gaming in whenever I can. It does generally keep me out of trouble and the pub! Which is a good thing, I think?

Feel free to poke but don't expect answers soon (sorry) - I'm tied up in a few different projects at present, definitely more of a casualist. Hmmm, anyway - live music at the local beckons so must make a move, hopefully they won't call last orders too soon!

PS Is that 150 words yet?

2. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Good morning Zoob, some great info there. You pretty much like all the same stuff as me and a good majority of the seniors. Wish they would make an elite or x wing game for the ps3.
    Looks like most of the regulars were playing battlefield 3 when you made your intro, Its the game they play on a thursday night. They'll be along to do some prodding and poking in a few hours. Gotta dash, work beckons... yes i know its 3.30 Am, but some of us have shite jobs to go to.

3. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Hiya Zoob, welcome to our place. Make yourself at home :thumbup:

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Hi Zoob nice to meet you. Nice to meet a fellow TSA fan.

Nice selection of "currently playing", with may be the possible exception of 4AM (thats only because Im tone deaf :oops: :( ). What do you think of the Unfinished Swan by the way? Thats next to buy for me.

I always wanted a Game Gear, but I got a Gameboy instead. I hated the screen blur on the Gameboy, but with Tetris, Final Fantasy 1 and Speedy Gonzales the Gameboy won it over for me.

We're big fans of everything PS3 over here, and Battlefield 3 is being hit particularly hard, along with GT5, Uncharted, Killzone etc etc.

The way things work around here is you join us for a game one night, we all have a laugh together, and hopefully the next day you'll want to hang around.

Welcome to the Seniors! :thumbup:

5. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Welcome to our website, zoob. :wave:

So, you found us from TSA (The Sixth Axis - yes I had to ask, I didn't get the anacronym)? Well hopefully you'll get a better feel of what this place is about now you're here.

Top intro BTW, plenty of detail and us old fogies love to reminisce about games and consoles from years gone by, and in some cases, from a previous century :shock:

So you'd like to be an Ally for now? Well that won't be a problem, we can sort that shortly, but can I persuade you to consider full membership? For this, you get full access to the website (there's more stuff that you cannot see), our chat system, VIP access on our BF3 server (search for SNR or Senior Gamers and you should find it) and other stuff too. All we ask in return for this is that you play a game or two online with us first, contribute on these forums and agree to fly the [SNR] tags in games to help spread the word about this community. That's pretty much it and we're fine with membership of other communities.

You'll find a bunch of us in the Borderlands at the moment (catch a ride!) and on BF3 along with a range of other games, so hopefully you'll find something that suits you.

Hope to see you online soon. :)

6. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Many thanks for the welcome all.

Acegadgets: Absolutely! Closest I can think are titles like SW:Battlefront, which really aren't the same at all. Perhaps an updated Colony Wars would scratch that particular itch. Shame though - sadly neglected genre this gen.

Spruijt: /me wipes feet. Nabs your comfy leather armchair in corner & settles down :D

Slaine: Top comic (your title) - is it still going? I haven't touched since the late 80s/early 90s when my pal was doing a bit of irregular freelance work for 2000AD. I'm sure I still have an early poster of Slaine by him in a tub somewhere...
    Really enjoyed The Unfinished Swan, very atmospheric & great concept although there's no denying it's short. On my 2nd playthrough now, trying to find all the balloons.
    Look forward to joining you for a game some time - I'll need to busy myself with the Friends Adding!

Martok: Apologies, IRMSUA! (I really must stop using acrnyms)
    Details are what makes the stories for me, although tend to cause others to glaze over...
    re: full membership, perhaps!
    I tend to drift around a lot (in life as well as forums) so if there's no dire need to be regular then definitely up for consideration!
    And yes, I'll definitely catch you for Borderlands - picked up v2 on day -1 (pre-order) did a bit of levelling but not had time to touch it since. The regular mob I play with are all waaaaay ahead now (lvl 29/30s) whereas I'm still early teens... :oops:

Oh & yes, I sport the headset. (TurtleBeach thingiemabobbit) Tend not to use it that much due to being the only one muttering away to himself but they're invaluable for proper team games - MAG springing to mind...

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I read 2000AD for years, had it from the 1st issue but once I left university I stopped getting it and sold the lot. It is still going, as is Judge Dredd the Megazine. Slaine isn't the only 2000AD character here, we've also got HaloJ (Halo Jones).

All we ask for full membership is that you wear the [SNR] tags in online games rather than those of another community (and you've played online with us in a game or two first with comms so we can chat). That's about it. No requirements to turn up to events regularly or post a lot on the forums (though of course it's nice if you do) and we don't have any problem with you being a member of other communities. So if you're OK with all of this then full membership is for you. :)

Chuck me a friends request (Martok- ) and we'll get a game with you in the next few days if you like.

It's the opposite here, we all use headsets most of the time due to us playing with other Seniors and Allies. The friendly banter whilst we're gaming makes all the difference, it's a much more enjoyable experience than playing 'alone' with the general public.

I've upped your access to Ally (your name is now green) so you'll see a bit more (e.g. Events) and can post in our PS3 section. If you go for full membership then the rest of the forums, the chat system and other goodies will be made available to you. :)

8. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    Welcome Zoob!

9. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Thanks Chriss & happy birthday on Tuesday.

Martok: Of course - The Ballad Of! Was too distracted by the lovely lady from Borderlands to make the conneciton. ;)

We'll get a few games & if you can handle my guttural Scots accent then we've got a deal!
    I'll get you added next time I'm online, possibly tomorrow if I'm too hungover to work.

Agreed re: headsets and thanks for the access!

Right, 5 minutes left stuck in the orifice, best look busy, then off to source some silver face paint & foil.
    Tonight Matthew, I shall be either an evil robot invader (GIR!) or the Tin Man from Oz - heartless...

10. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Good news about Unfinished Swan. I loved Journey, Flower, Datura, Flow, well, you get the picture of what sort of games I like!!! :D

2000AD is still going very strong. In fact the new Dredd film has given it a massive uplift in sales. Good for them I say. :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing you in a game. I'll try and bung you a friends request when Im online next. Im Torquemada on the PSN, just to confuse you :crazy:

11. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Over the last few years codemasters website were advertising "Jumpgate evolution" on their website . It was going to be an intergalactic MMOG for consoles as well as the PC. I was looking forward to this coming out, but it was delayed and the project now seems to have been mothballed with the development company now closed down and the games website shut down. Seems to have been about 5 years work down the swanny.
    I was also interested in DUST 518 , had a few obsessive months on EVE a few years ago and the idea of bringing it to the PS3 seemed like a good one. But having tried to play the Beta, it's just really another FPS set in a MMOG world. Looks like there's a lot of work to do on it before it'll be worth playing .
    I'm hoping that one day we'll get a good intergalactic space trading combat MMOG on the playstation , perhaps it might arrive on the PS4 .

12. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Wasn't too taken with Datura TBH but the rest are good, solid titles.

Yet to see that although a few of mates have a few good if bloody things to say about it!

Back to the 2000AD connection! Nemesis was another favourite. Great comic, may have to pick up a copy again then!

That's a real shame, sounded promising.

I've downloaded the beta/demo but haven't actually given it a blast yet. The premise sounds interesting but it's really not flying around in spaceships! Multi-crewed spaceships would be awesome, with gunners and the like.

Freelancer would have been the most obvious choice but it's Microsoft published, so was never going to come to PS3. I think the only real contender, and it's dubious at best, would be a potential new E L I T E title from Frontier - and that has a pretty gloomy future from the sounds of things. Shame.

13. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    B8dRobot
    Welcome zoob :)

14. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Bad robot! I'll see your Mission Impossible & raise you a Gir!

15. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Great to get a game with you last night Zoob, you seemed to fit in really well (into my exhaust).

Hopefully see you about a bit more on NFS, hopefully you'll play enough alongside us to decide whether you want to sport the SNR tags or not.

16. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    As above :) great games last night although I was very lost lol

17. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Cheers Col & JK, was a hoot and yes, I do rather admire a nice rear! ;)

Can't say I have any qualms about signing up with you guys, just feel a little like I'm being unfaithful at the moment.
    Give it another few goes & like in life, I'm sure I'll forget all about the others...

18. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Others? Are you Lost?

19. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    I'm guess that's a reference but it fell on my deaf side I'm afraid as I never made it past S1E1!
    More of a Breaking Bad than a Bad Robot fellah...

20. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    You got it anyway :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice