The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Has the world unsubscribed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HaloJ, 4 Sep 2012.

1. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    This is an extremely interesting and well balanced piece on gaming revenue streams covering the subscription and free to play systems. It's something that I know JK has an opinion on and one that I felt would make an excellent blog post with some research although this one would take some beating.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-31-has-the-world-unsubscribed

Personally I hope we're going to see more publishers opting for premium membership for multiplayer content on consoles rather than a move towards F2P and microtransactions. Although I can see F2P being a very good solution for persistent world titles. Although Premium systems promote a split community with those that have and those that don't but lets save that argument for another day.

Revenue streams have become increasingly complex. A modern twist is that we've seen producers being forced to react to the second hand market in an attempt to retain sales. We've seen bolted on multiplayer for "single player" titles, Assassin's Creed and Ratchet & Clank for example which hopes to entice you to play on. Then there's the online pass introduced to those titles that are considered to be more multilayer oriented. Uncharted online seems to have taken it to the extreme mixing a sound premium play online system with a bolted on and game breaking F2P/microtransaction perk system. As the author comments it's difficult to get an F2P system balanced. Also stated in the article people are less willing to part with funds on a monthly basis whilst also dedicating vast amounts of time required to get their monies worth out of a title.

We live in interesting times. :shifty:

2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I think F2P is the future and is here to stay. Its hard once your invested in a game to tear yourself away. Home has been a financial success, and of course thats free. The upcoming Dust514 is free too. Even Microsoft have two upcoming titles on the 360 for F2P.

Personally I dont mind F2P games, although they always feel like a work in progress. The 2nd hand market has hurt the games industry, and EA have said online passes have helped revenue streams. The trouble with making games is theyre too damn expensive. £50M budget is not a tremendous deal these days, and a huge risk. With F2P people will always try it out because its free, but with premium games people will be choosy, especially in a recession.

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I think that pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

This is why I think people are doing less of the "it's pay day, time to go buy a new game" every month and are much more careful about the titles they fork out for, the reduction of value from selling a game and the fact that games seem to be released in a more and more unfinished state probably just amplifies this.

I looked at what i've bought recently and in the last twelve months I've bought CoD12 or whatever last years was called and Battlefield 3. I only bought CoD because I could buy it new on launch day for £25. Looking ahead there's very few games i'm interested in, i'll be getting two by the end of the year and then probably nothing else for another year. That's a drastic reduction from the average of 1 a month I used to get.

I think F2P is the future, but there's room for these premium packages too, though I think the latter has to already have a massive footprint to work, massive gaming titles such as CoD and Battlefield are probably safe here, but a smaller title that isn't assured of being a hit is going to be far better going the F2P route, get some interest and then bleed people dry once they're hooked.

On a personal note I think i'd be more inclined to play F2P games than full cost games, at least you get to see how good it is before forking out, even if that means you end up forking out more once you're hooked, at least it's not money wasted on something you don't like.

4. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    The only problem I see with F2P is casual gamers will lose out, with the mini transactions giving you bigger and better, but the once a month players won't spend the cash, so are in part weaker in the games. If the mini transactions didn't actually effect the game that would be better. This won't happen though as purchases that won't advance you won't be bought there's no win win :-\

5. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    The problem with F2P is that the game has to be good enough to make players stump up cash for the add ons, I joined DC universe when it went F2P and its okay but not special enough to make me buy the multiple content packs that have been offered. So sony have made nothing from me there, and thats the problem, companies could end up making nothing in that model so its a hard decision for them to make.

The problem with subscription is that the community is constantly split, you only have to think about how many times on Killzone night we have set the room up to standard content only because somebody does not have the expansion packs. I cant join BF3 nights because I have not got the close quarters packs on occasion. The problem is exclusion if you dont own the packs, and not getting value for money from them if you do own them, but cant use them. Not getting value out of paid for content has made me a bit wary of it now, I hardly played the warhawk expansions I purchased for example.

6. clarkyspeaks

clarkyspeaks Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    clarkyspeaks
    We have a similar discussion on OAP and it turns out the that between OAP and SNR, a lot of the points are very similar

But my view is Im not one for paying out for dlc like BF3 for instance, but its the gamers choice!

Peace!

:thumbup:

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Dont get me started on this. I used to be a bit OCD when it came to DLC, bleeding every little bit of experience that the game has to offer. I learnt to do without, mainly because its impossible to keep up these days. There was a piece on the net where LBP was declared the winner in the sheer volume of DLC available. Apparently it would cost you over £300 to own every single bit of DLC available for it.

Sorry to hear that mate. You know you'd be welcomed here with opens arms if you ever decided it was time for a change. :thumbup:

8. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    surely not , oap has lost the plot, as well as its best members , clarky and shroud excluded, well clarky anyway

9. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    Urm!! what slanging match is this then clarky :?

Most of you know me and also know that what you see is what you get with no bullshit.

Well i can honestly say that there never was a slanging match and i have no idea what mr clarky is on about. :?:

clarky is a bit upset about the lack of interest from oap's in killzone and uncharted 3, but you guys know yourself that BF3 is THE game at the moment and pretty much everyone is playing it nightly and seem to have little interest in any other game at this time.

I hate politics and shit, but i felt that i had to comment on this as it simply isn't true in any way shape or form.

10. clarkyspeaks

clarkyspeaks Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    clarkyspeaks

Hmmmm quite true Roger, however I think you will find SNR are very active on KZ3 and UC3, just ask Halo, Martok, Dogstar, JKrohn :D

Apologies to everyone, it was not really a slanging match, more of a lets air our opinions, much like the one you guys have here in SNR.

Peace and Love to All :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice