PS4 Hands-on with Dying Light on PS4

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

The art of parkour already has ample thrills for any athlete. You certainly don’t need hordes of snarling ghouls nipping at your heels to make it any more exhilarating, but Dying Light blends the two together in a huge world devastated by the undead apocalypse. Designed by the same team that brought Dead Island to the gaming masses, Dying Light is a first-person survival game. It boasts a new combat system and tremendous player freedom in complex environments. It also, as you might expect, includes lots and lots of infected (and ways to kill them, too).

The developers at Techland brought Dying Light to the US PS4 launch event in New York City this week, demonstrating the broad array of tactical options players have to approach any situation in game. Both combat and movement are essential components to the experience — running away from danger is just about as much fun as running straight into it.

Dying Light is set inside the wrecked and ruined city of Harran, a fictional locale with an ancient history. Game Designer Maciej Binkowski likens it to Istanbul, Turkey, as he boots up Dying Light on PS4, passing me the DualShock 4 with an eager smile. There’s a dark beauty to Harran, with buildings that rise and fall like waves, and roads caked with bodies and abandoned cars.

Players can explore huge sections of Harran from a first-person perspective — running, ducking, weaving, and jumping through the debris to find supplies and complete missions. The demo opens in a small street clearing, and Binkowski coaches me through the basics before I sprint towards a supply package that’s just been dropped into Harran’s quarantined limits. I’m warned that these supplies are rare, so other survivors will hungrily hunt them with just as much tenacity.

A scream pulls my attention away from the supply drop and over to an apartment a few stories up. Dying Light presents players with a number of optional events they can chase or ignore, dependant entirely on their preference. I run towards a nearby wall, leap up and over, and climb up to a ledge that gives access to the apartment. Peering inside, I see an infected pounding a closet, its moans mingled with the terrified pleas of the survivor inside.

For the sake of the demonstration, my character has been gifted with a few weapons to dispatch such obstacles, including a hatchet and several hammers of various size. I pull out the hatchet and creep up behind the infected, burying the blade atop its head with a satisfying crunch.

Opening the closet door, the survivor thanks me, then hands over a few items to repay the kindness. Binkowski urges me on, and invites me to try other weapons against the infected wandering the streets below.

Every weapon in Dying Light has a charge attack, and these differing attacks open up plenty of ways to navigate through combat. The larger hammer, for example, can be pulled back and swung in a massive arc which sends the unfortunate infected hit flying backwards. Critical impacts are noted by “x-ray” highlights, which reveal broken bones and splintered skulls caused by successful blows.

Turning a corner around a small house, I stumble upon an infected wearing what appears to be a hazmat suit. Binkowski chuckles, noting that I should try attacking the tank strapped to its back. I leap over a fence and circle around, coming up behind it and denting it with the hammer. Backing up, the infected’s suit ruptures in a rather delightful, hissing explosion. I can’t locate the remains.

Binkowski restarts the demo and takes control, rushing through the city with practiced expertise before making it up to an overpass choked with the undead. A group of human survivors guard the passage, so Binkowski lures them towards the edge and tosses them over. We watch as the body tumbles down to the ground below.

The demo promptly closes with the arrival of a Demolisher — a hulking mass of flesh and muscle. It hurls a wrecked car at Binkowski’s character before the screen cuts to black.

Dying Light is coming to PS4 in 2014. It features four-player cooperative play, voice control (for shouting at infected to distract them), and witty uses of DualShock 4′s light bar and motion sensor — like tilting the controller to the side to check your in-game watch.

Binkowski concludes our meeting with a reminder that the Share button is a huge boon for a sandbox game like Dying Light. Because when you detonate a gas canister and send huge groups of infected flying, well, that’s the kind of moment you just need to share with the internet.

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
My kind of game can't wait for the Zombie apocalypse ;)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
How light comes alive in Dying Light on PS4

Hi, I’m Maciej Jamrozik, the Lead Technical Artist at Techland, developer of the upcoming first-person, action survival-horror game Dying Light.

Light and shadow play a crucial role in Dying Light. They affect not only the gameplay and its day-and-night cycle, but also the visuals.

This video illustrates how the game uses a physically-based lighting system, which means that light is generated in accordance to the actual laws of physics. This in turn assures that lighting looks convincing and cohesive, regardless of the conditions and surroundings.

It’s especially important as Dying Light features a variety of locations and environments, from open spaces to claustrophobic rooms, as well as a range of weather conditions and changing time of day.

One of the most important parameters of indirect lighting is “roughness,” which defines the level of smoothness and dullness of a surface. Implementing our new physics model eliminated the limitation of using only pre-set groups of materials, which translates to much more varied and faithful representations of materials in the game. Our artists now have full freedom over the level of roughness on objects, and can save the result in a form of texture.

On PS4, we use the console’s additional horsepower to generate dynamic reflections. Similarly, they make use of the “roughness” to diffuse and reduce the impact of the specular reflection. It helps render the given material in the most realistic way possible.

Dying Light boasts a dynamic weather system, together with a real-time passage of time. That’s why indirect lighting data, which is stored in so called environment light probes, has to change according to the current weather and the time of day. These two factors can change independently. That’s why we compute the Spherical Harmonix function offline for all weather conditions and times of day, and then it is dynamically interpolated in the game.

The physically based lighting model influenced what all wet surfaces look like. When it’s raining, wet surfaces get increasingly shiny through the modification of the roughness parameter. We emphasize that weather conditions, like time of day, change gradually, and it applies also to all wet surfaces. As a result, a surface becomes wet only if it is actually exposed to rain.

Another field directly improved by the new physics model is water. It’s a crucial feature, since Dying Light allows the player to swim and dive. Water in the game can have varied levels of transparency, which affects light diffusion. Moreover, water has an effect on all objects immersed in it. We modify the parameter of roughness so that they look wet, but only to the point of immersion. The rest above the water level remains dry.

All the above improvements, and many other changes, are to make sure that Dying Light will deliver an unprecedented visual fidelity that will surprise you with its level of realism. Next year, when you’re leaping between roofs and trying to lose the zombie horde behind you, take a moment to appreciate all the great lighting effects around you.

Just don’t stop for too long – zombie bites hurt!

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Watched a few 5 min demo's of this seems its open world and very hard :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New Dying Light PS4 trailer debuts
Techland releases new details on its stunning zombie survival experience

Hello, everyone! I’m Tymon Smektala, the producer of Dying LightTechland’s latest first-person, action survival-horror game coming this year. I’d like to use this opportunity to tell you more about Dying Light and its Humanity trailer that we released today.

Let’s start with a simple statement: we’ve gotten accustomed to mindless zombie killing, right? Movies, TV series, books, and of course games – no matter what the medium, zombies became the cannon fodder of our times. After all, no one should bat an eye at taking down thousands of already dead, walking corpses. Or should they? In Dying Light, we make things a little bit more complicated.

With our latest Humanity trailer, we wanted to present a deeper vision of what a zombie epidemic would mean for humankind. “Epidemic” being the crucial word here. Mutating into a zombie is a result of infection, not some kind of a supernatural transformation, but simply a disease, just like flu, pneumonia, or SARS.

This realisation helped us create one of the most outstanding features of Dying Light: its setting. A quarantined city just several weeks after the outbreak.

It’s an intriguing locale that shows the horrible reality of living in the quarantine zone infested with the raging infected. “We were doctors, teachers, fathers, sons” – says the trailer’s narrator. People who just two months or so earlier had families, homes, and jobs, had to become scavengers and hunters in order to survive. Now their everyday routine consists of gathering supplies, repairing barricades, fighting for medicines – struggling to stay alive, to put it simply. In this world, things that we take for granted are in fact precious commodities.

When traversing the city of Harran, the player will encounter survivors in a variety of situations. You may find them hidden, trapped or surrounded by the infected in the most unlikely places, calling hopelessly for help. Your help. It’s up to you whether you’ll decide to come to their aid or not. Lending a helping hand, be it out of kind heart or want for reward, is always a risk, though. The grim reality of Harran doesn’t allow any safe choices.

“But so they were,” continues the narrator. In the quarantine zone, the line between the infected and the sane is very thin. The player should remember that not only the survivors were common people like you and me months earlier – so were the infected. Imagine that in order to stay alive, you could be forced to shoot your family doctor, chop a colleague from your office to pieces, or leave your best friend for certain death.

It’s either you or them. But you should never forget that they’re not walking corpses – they’re just infected, although as of yet there’s no cure for their illness. What would you do if there was one?

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Has this had a release date yet?

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Anyone got it yet or will get it in the near future?
I got it last wednesday, but due to work haven't been able to play beyond the prologue (aka tutorial).
Did like it so far, although the jumping/grabbing is something I need to get used to.
The fighting was easier than I had expected and I needed less running away than anticipated, but I have yet to start the actual story so things might change.

My game should be open for invasion by friends, so feel free to drop in as a zombie, but expect that "favor" to be returned :D

PM_1980

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Does anyone have this still??? Picked this up the other day and gotta say its really quite good i am wanting to give the Co-op a go so if anyone has it gimme a shout :)

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think I still have it installed, and still unfinished :)

Pernarcale

PlayStation.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It looks fun. I don't have it, but I plan on purchasing it when I get a chance.

PM_1980

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Really getting into it, crafting some weird and wonderful weapons and who doesn't like caving zombies heads in :gamer:

Pafkes

Wait for it
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Does anyone have this still??? Picked this up the other day and gotta say its really quite good i am wanting to give the Co-op a go so if anyone has it gimme a shout :)
:woot:I have it installed and like to do a co-op. If you see me online feel free to invite (also when I'm playing another game)

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
i have this too. havnt played it much yet and not tried co op yet. If you fancy arranging somethin let me know.

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So I have jusg reached lvl 12 got my grappling hook so ready to leave the slums.

So fellow DL players do fancy setting up a dlying light co op. I am dying to try it out.

PM_1980

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So I have jusg reached lvl 12 got my grappling hook so ready to leave the slums.

So fellow DL players do fancy setting up a dlying light co op. I am dying to try it out.
Should have my grapple soon currently on level 11 just been doing mainly side quests only done 4 or 5 story missions so far but really enjoying it i think its a massivley underated game :)

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My gaming time is a bit limited these days, but I'll try to make some time re-learning this game so we can co-op a bit before the 19th (Witcher 3!)
It's up to 4 player co-op isn't it?

PM_1980

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My gaming time is a bit limited these days, but I'll try to make some time re-learning this game so we can co-op a bit before the 19th (Witcher 3!)
It's up to 4 player co-op isn't it?
Yes its upto 4 players i believe and i am also looking forward to the witcher but want to get as much of this done as possible first

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Should have my grapple soon currently on level 11 just been doing mainly side quests only done 4 or 5 story missions so far but really enjoying it i think its a massivley underated game :)
I am currently going through all the side mission before I venture out to sector 0, there are some good ones. I hate the ultimate weapon ones, I I fail 1 more time with 49 out of 50 kills I will go nuts.
Next time you see me online or other way round lets sort out a co op

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oh download the dyling light companion if you havnt already, nice little app game sending out scouts for pieces of kit.
I Use it to farm medikits, alcohol and string, you cant have to many molotovs and medikits.

PM_1980

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oh download the dyling light companion if you havnt already, nice little app game sending out scouts for pieces of kit.
I Use it to farm medikits, alcohol and string, you cant have to many molotovs and medikits.
Yes i have been using it myself very useful indeed :drinks: