Multi GTA Online launches two weeks after the main game, on 1st October

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Rockstar has shown off new footage of Grand Theft Auto Online - GTA5's expansive multiplayer offering - which will launch two weeks after the main game, on 1st October.

The developer describes GTA Online as "a dynamic and persistent online world" accessible by yourself or with up to 16 players. You can work cooperatively to complete missions and ambient events or compete in traditional game modes.

New content will continue to be added post-launch by both Rockstar and the community. You can create new races or missions in the mode's content creator, share them with friends and try other people's creations.

Customisation will also be key - you'll be able to modify your character, improve your stats, purchase vehicles and property and rise up the criminal ranks.

The footage, available to watch below, expands on the glimpse of GTA Online seen at the end of the game's last trailer.

Grand Theft Auto 5 is due to arrive in just over a month's time - 17th September - for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. No other platforms have - as yet - been announced.

Source: Eurogamer

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That looks excellent. I was hoping that my son was going to buy it on PS3 but he's now decided to get it on xBox, despite me saying I would pay half for the playstation version. Looks like i'll have to get my own copy.
Currently selling a few games from my shelf of shame to fund some fresh stuff. Tempted to sell my Last of us as it still gets nearly £30 if i sell it on Amazon OR,
Theres a great deal from gamestop, £4.97 plus 2 games from a large list.
http://www.gamestop.co.uk/GTAVTrade .

Last edited:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
That looks excellent. I was hoping that my son was going to buy it on PS3 but he's now decided to get it on xBox, despite me saying I would pay half for the playstation version. Looks like i'll have to get my own copy.
Currently selling a few games from my shelf of shame to fund some fresh stuff. Tempted to sell my Last of us as it still gets nearly £30 if i sell it on Amazon OR,
Theres a great deal from gamestop, £4.97 plus 2 games from a large list.
http://www.gamestop.co.uk/GTAVTrade .
I'm still not 100% on GTA if I do it will be on ps4 rather then ps3

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
But do we know if it will be out on PS4? The stronger consol would definetly do good for the graphics and playability.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
But do we know if it will be out on PS4? The stronger consol would definetly do good for the graphics and playability.
This is something i'm very interested in since i'm getting a PS4 on launch.

The last GTA game had frame rate issues at times, so the PS4 would handle this game a lot better....there's no doubt in my mind that this will come to next gen as well as PC.

The questions are when? And will we be able to 'upgrade' for a minimal payment to the PS4 version?

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I will be getting this on the PS3 from greenmangaming. Theres a fiver credit back at the moment which will mean that I will pick up Battlefield 4 for £31 if I get this from them.
Who else will be getting the PS3 version?

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I haven't decided what to do. In GTA4, my son could join a online party with a friend and play without violence and missions - just a giant playground. If that's possible in the in GTA5, I will for sure buy it on PS3 (after all, the kid is gonna inherit the old machine very soon...).

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I hope it comes to Ps4 or xbone but looking around its a this gen game not next :(

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's currently not been confirmed for PC/PS4/180.....however there's no way they'll skip the PC, info was already kinda leaked by accident about a PC port of the game.

Now bearing in mind how close to stock PC architecture the PS4 and 180 are it basically goes without saying that when they do a PC port they'll also do a PS4/180 port.

It's just a matter of time....those second class gamers that have PC's can sometimes wait a good year after the console game to get their port. I suspect this won't be quite that long, but I reckon after the initial week or two of sales they'll announce a PC/PS4/180 version is in the works with an expected release date.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is there anybody else who wont be getting this? I've been asking around and it seems like I am the only person who isnt gagging to get his hands on it, add that to the fact I have no interest in getting Battlefield 3.1 it looks like I will be playing solo for a while :( :D

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm not getting it mick. I've never really been a fan of the series. It does look fantastic, but I just can't be bothered with it.

BF4 on the other hand... :D

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What are you looking forward to getting @mick or are you still into some of your older games?
I havent been excited about a game for a long time, although I didn't keep the last one for more than a couple of months it was a couple of months of great fun before it became repetitive.
I think this one has learnt from the lessons of the last one, seems to be a great variety of things to do, and the online stuff looks amazing. The map is absolutely huge, just hoping it works well as the last giant sized open world game (FUEL) just didn't work properly. If RDR is anything go by, I think online will be a winner.
I'm hoping this game will get me back into console gaming again as I went off playing on the PS3 when my fat console broke a few months ago. I've just popped a bigger HDD into my sons (which is now my) PS3 as the 40gb drive was full .I had to keep deleting games before I could install new ones and GTA V is going to be taking up 8 Gb .
You might have seen the pictures of the GTA V map going around, it looks like a Teenage mutant hero turtle. This short video shows you just how big the island is, compared with RDR and previous grand theft autos.

Last edited:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think I'm going to succumb and actually get this game. Wasn't going to bother with any more new games but loads of people I know are getting it and I've really enjoyed the others.

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've been following reports and previews of this game for a long time. Forget GTA4, 5 is the real deal and an online mmo world to die for. Reviews are out at 3pm on Monday. I'll be shocked if this gets less than full marks.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've been following reports and previews of this game for a long time. Forget GTA4, 5 is the real deal and an online mmo world to die for. Reviews are out at 3pm on Monday. I'll be shocked if this gets less than full marks.
One of my friends has got it early and played it last night. He says he was very underwhelmed. The graphics aren't that good, the first mission was boring and the sat nav is like a Crap 3D Tom Tom. Hopefully the multiplayer will make up for it as I put a preorder in yesterday!

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
One of my friends has got it early and played it last night. He says he was very underwhelmed. The graphics aren't that good, the first mission was boring and the sat nav is like a Crap 3D Tom Tom. Hopefully the multiplayer will make up for it as I put a preorder in yesterday!
Phew, glad I didn't pre-order it.

NOT REALLY!

As in most games, the adverts make these games look amazing, we are stuck with the capabilities of the PS3 so I dont expect brilliant graphics. I would think the first few missions will be a bit of a tutorial and a way of introducing the characters.
As for multi player, Why is it not going live till October? Seems a bit of a strange thing to do.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What are you looking forward to getting @mick or are you still into some of your older games?
Recently got Diablo 3 ( which im enjoying loads more than I thought I would) and still play Defiance and the Last Of Us. I'm hopeing that those 3 (plus anything I get off PS+) will keep me going until I get a PS4.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ditto that re: Diablo 3, it really is a blast.

I'm thinking that I'll hold off on GTA5 until October. I'm totally broke at the moment & will wait until I hear some reviews from reputable sources. Also, there might be a price drop before my birthday (mid October) so I can wait. I'm sure, as per @mick that I've got enough to be getting on with just now. I've only briefly dabbled with Saints Row 3, for instance, amongst the other titles I've got on the hard drive & in the pile of shame like Kingdoms of Amalur & Dragons Dogma.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the GTA series as a whole, but I was a little underwhelmed by GTA4 - particularly the multiplayer - though I'd be highly surprised if they haven't addressed the issues in v5. RDR does multiplayer right!