• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS3 GT5 Academy Edition

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oh the irony! Works fine on my mobile. Lol

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
:P :D

Actually that did make me chuckle, only a little bit though.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have this one.

Free to a good home!

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the graphics on the city tracks. Has anyone ever travelled around London to see if they can see where the track goes?

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Acegadgets said:
I have this one.

Free to a good home!

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the graphics on the city tracks. Has anyone ever travelled around London to see if they can see where the track goes?
Oooh. You could check the track out on Google maps as I'm sure it passes through Piccadilly Circus. I think that shot is Northbound out of PC on Shaftsbury Avenue.

EDIT : Just checked and yes it's where I thought it was. Link to streetview/route on Google Maps The Southern most tip isn't totally correct as the track actually goes up the wrong side of the street which I didn't alter for speed of inserting.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Right, I caved and this morning I've ordered 2 copies of GT5 Academy Edition from Shopto for me & Halo. Cost per game is £14.36 (£14.86 for the game and 50p cashback by purchasing through TopCashback). :D

If any of you don't use TopCashback, it's really worth signing up to - it's free (unlike Quidco which takes a cut of your cashback each year). It works with thousands of online retailers and in just under 2 years that I've been using it I've had £106 cash back.

If you would like to try it, please sign up using my referrer link http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/martok. If you use this, I get £10 once you've made some purchases using the service. You can then refer people yourself and earn £10 for each one referred.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It'll be great to have you both join us in the race room. We can send you a car a day to get you started. Perhaps ones that would get the seasonal events won , gaining you some cash to start your own collection would be an idea,
Let us know as soon as you as you log in online and I'll send that pretty little Lotus to you.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks for this, Ace. :1thumbup:

Hopefully Shopto delivery will be quick so should get the game tomorrow or Saturday. We will probably take it for a spin on Saturday (in between Borderlands 2) to get the feel of it before the event in the evening.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I could buy you any car you like just look in the car dealership and request it :)

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I will send you a car that you can do the seasonal events in, which is the easiest way to earn credits.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good news is that GT5 Academy Edition has arrived. :1thumbup:

Disappointed to find that despite the advertising

gran-turismo.com said:
GT5™: Academy Edition has been re-mastered to include all the functionality updates and new content that has been made available since the launch of GT5.
http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d52881.html

that after the 2.8Gb install (which was slow) I had to download the 2.08 patch at 227Mb. So much for all of the updates already being included. :1thumbdown:

And now that I've run the game for the first time, it's recommended that I install onto the hard disc, taking up 8Gb of space! What was the 2.8Gb install for then?! Looks like this'll take some time, says 30 - 50 mins to install...

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
seems a bit wierd having another update.
If you go online when its installed I'll be able to start sending you some cars for tomorrow , i'll find something that can also be used in the seasonal events so that you can make some money by winning a few races.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The update came after it went gold :-\ hence why it's there. I think I installed mine to HDD which takes up a good chunk but the install also has the 2.5gb data on so it's only an extra 6gb not really the point but still.

@Ace forza 4 has your Transit Sport van lol its 160ms points though.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Martok/Halo, I'm a bit worried you will find things a little frustrating to start with, unlike most racers the trick with Gt is not to slide. Slower is often faster so gently in on the brakes the try not to hit the throttle until you know you will not have to lift off again. Coasting the apex is often the trick. Time trial in practice will give you a ghost car of your best lap. This can really help to show up the difference in corner entry and exit.

Try not to be too dependant on the driving line aid or you will find you never really learn the tracks though it is a good guide to get you started.

Good luck!

By the way, I'd avoid arcade mode and go strait in to Gt life.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
ChrissPeacock said:
Martok/Halo, I'm a bit worried you will find things a little frustrating to start with, unlike most racers the trick with Gt is not to slide. Slower is often faster so gently in on the brakes the try not to hit the throttle until you know you will not have to lift off again. Coasting the apex is often the trick. Time trial in practice will give you a ghost car of your best lap. This can really help to show up the difference in corner entry and exit.

Try not to be too dependant on the driving line aid or you will find you never really learn the tracks though it is a good guide to get you started.

Good luck!

By the way, I'd avoid arcade mode and go strait in to Gt life.
Thanks your your help this afternoon, ChrissP, much appreciated. :1thumbup:

Once we got past the shitty awful interface that game has and worked out how to play online (which again was confusing, setting up a room via online lobby, setting one up via your lounge, joining your lounge before you had set one up only to end up creating my own in your lounge?!) it was rather enjoyable. The free run and races play very nicely and we enjoyed those. :)

It'll take a bit of getting used to as we are traditionally arcade racer players (Burnout, Wipeout etc) and I just think it's getting used to going round the track without trying to slide around all of the corners. I didn't think I was doing too badly towards the end though I know I need to learn where the brake points are to ensure my tyres don't smoke and overheat. I didn't find it frustrating though and I'm rather looking forward to tomorrow night's session. :D

I may even sneak another go tonight. ;)