Multi Grrrr... HDCP!

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just a bit of a grumble really.

I do have an HDTV in the living room but was hoping to be rid of my large small TV (old school 21" CRT) in the spare room & start using my BenQ MP721 projector as a 720p image instead, as even though it'll take up less room it'll give me a larger & better viewing surface.

Or so I thought.

Unfortunately, due to High-Def Copy Protection (which has been phased in since 2006) the HDMI - DVI leads gives me absolutely nada. The lead is fine (I've got 2, both have been tested), the projector is fine & detects the PS3 BUT it gives a blank screen.

Having taken the time to do further research, it would appear that the only way round this is either to buy a new projector with HDMI/HDCP certification or spend a couple of hundred quid on something like a HD Fury. Neither option particularly fits with my current budgetary restraints.

Feck.

The only other option is to simply run it through the component output but this would be in standard def. Which really is a bit of a waste...

Anyhoo, thought I'd highlight this for anybody else thinking of doing the same. The same applies to most computer monitors (including Apple's 30" flatscreen) that have VGA/DVI inputs. Recent TVs & projectors with HDMI inputs should be fine.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just use Component cables?

Those negate the HDCP as far as i'm aware and the resolution over component will go up to 1080p....in fact this was the ONLY option for the original 360's that didn't have HDMI.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
be aware that some TVs wont display 1080p through a component connection (apparently)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
be aware that some TVs wont display 1080p through a component connection (apparently)
Yup, but they should handle 720p just fine, which is still far better than your old 21" CRT.

Plus if you're playing games there's very few that actually run in 1080p anyway on the PS3.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The projector doesn't have component ins, just VGA, DVI, S-video or composite.
Composite & s-video are SD, the DVI is digital (although I'll check) so I'm looking into whether the VGA can double as D connector next...

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
... and the HD TV next door isn't the problem! ;)

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The point about the DVI signal being digital meaning I can't just use a component-dvi adaptor.
Also, I've read that the ps3 automatically downgrades the signal for Blu-ray content to quarter res over component.
Not a big deal though, I only want to use it for gaming!

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Apologies, just noticed my gaff in original post - I should have said composite not component.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It doesn't sound right about downscaling BD movies to SD, though that may be the case.

I've only tried component cables once on the PS3 as I bought a component cable for XBOX / PS2/3 / Wii, i'll stick to HDMI, it's far neater.

VGA is an analogue signal, so should be free of HDCP...and you've got the available socket, you'd just need to invest in a VGA cable for the PS3, which you'll possibly be hard pushed to find....but you CAN get them and as far as I know they'll allow for 1080p on the PS3, but worth giving that one a google.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I actually spotted the thing about downscaling in the PS3 support - it's all about the HDCP.
VGA should give 720p & 1080i, but i generally isn't supported by monitors or projectors.
720p works for me though so will look into whether PS3 to VGA or PS3 to component plus VGA adaptor is cheaper.
Cheers for the advice.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
From PS3 manual:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

Hints

• If the video output settings do not match those required for the TV in use, the screen may go blank when the resolution is changed. The screen should, however, automatically go back to its original resolution after a while. If the screen remains blank for more than 30 seconds, turn off the system. Then touch the power button on the system front for at least five seconds to turn the system on again. The video output settings will automatically be reset to the standard resolution.
  • If a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the system using an HDMI cable, video and/or audio cannot be output from the system.
  • Copyright-protected content on a Blu-ray Disc can only be output at 1080p when using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard.
  • When the PS3™ system (CECH-3000 series or later) is connected to a TV using a D-terminal cable, a component AV cable, or an multi AV cable (a Sony Corporation product), analogue high-definition output is restricted to comply with the copyright protection technology used by Blu-ray™ (AACS). BD video software (BD-ROM) and BDs recorded with copyright-protected video content (such as broadcast programs) are output at 480i.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Also:
Component AV Cable (sold separately)

D-Terminal Cable (sold separately)
Component

D-Terminal *2
NTSC: 1080p / 1080i / 720p / 480p / 480i
PAL: 1080p / 1080i / 720p / 576p / 576i

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's a right feck on. I recall similar bullshit on the PS2, you couldn't watch a DVD in certain settings without it turning the bloody screen all green. That may have been whilst using component cables or when trying to view in full RGB or some such bullshit.

It's hard to justify spending the cash on cables (assuming you don't have this stuff lying around) when you don't even know if it'll work correctly.

If you're gaming though, yeah go for the 720p solution over an analogue signal.....that doesn't change the fact that you're not gonna be able to watch BD movies at 1080p though.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm not certain this relates/helps much but my wife's ps3 race rig uses a PC monitor via an HDMI-DVI connector at 720p. I then feed off the audio to PC speakers via the standard ps3 cable and a jumble of converters...

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@ColSonders - I know. I believe it didn't even effect ps3 at day one. They rolled it out with firmware!

@ChrissPeacock - is it a new-ish monitor? Most new(er) gear is unaffected as it is "numbered" as per HDCP protocol. Older (pre 2006) or cheaper end gear is.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So I've tracked down somebody selling a HDFury all in one HDMI to VGA PS3 lead for a decent price. It's via Gumtree, which I'm less keen on, but by all accounts, HDFury is the only solution to my dilemma and the all in one option means less plugs & connections to go wrong.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
So it worked then ;) good to hear

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yippeekayay! It certainly does. Just need to buy an iron or get my old screen back as whilst they are fine for clubs, the wrinkled sheet option is less desirable for dark clicker infested ruins.