• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Grinding your gears

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nothing to do with grinding levels.

Is there anything about Destiny that you don't like and really grinds ya gears?

For me it is the long load times, wouldn't be so bad if you could do some acrobatic maneuvers in your spaceship or something. Or am I being impatient??

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nah the loading times between planets are starting to get to me too. Still, its far better than a static image with a top tip. Loading screens are definitely getting better generally, but Im still not a massive fan.

Shouldn't moan, I remember playing Target Renegade on the Spectrum. 20 minutes to load each level!!! And the amount of times it used to crash meant going back to square one. No wonder us gamers have zero patience these days :rant:

Skarpar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What annoys me is that the Fraction specific weapons can only be bought by using crucible marks, admittedly I've actually been enjoying doing it at the moment (I'm not normally one for the PvP gameplay), it does force you to do it if you want a certain weapon with specific perks on them.

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hm, quite a lot thinking about it:
the weekly Marks cap, the glimmer cap, the fact that there's not much to get for your glimmer, the mandatory PVP with ridiculous target scores (ridiculous for a PVE player) if you are unlucky with exotic bounties, and finally not enough good loot per hour played :)

But overall, I'm liking the game. ;)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hm, quite a lot thinking about it:
the weekly Marks cap, the glimmer cap, the fact that there's not much to get for your glimmer, the mandatory PVP with ridiculous target scores (ridiculous for a PVE player) if you are unlucky with exotic bounties, and finally not enough good loot per hour played :)

But overall, I'm liking the game. ;)
There's a glimmer cap? Maybe this is a good way to buy crap armour when you don't have enough to dismantle for plastiel plating (or whatever you it) to waste some glimmer.
The load screens are a tad on the slow side but handy sometimes when you need to powder your nose or replenish your beverage of choice.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The loading screens are prime opportunity to go to your options screen and ensure your gear is set up correctly and dismantle and green/blue items you've picked up.

@Skarpar the faction specific items don't require crucible play....if you buy the class item from that faction and wear it during PVE then all your vanguard reputation goes towards that faction instead.

I STILL haven't played crucible and am happily level 27 (not that far off level 28) and my armour is equal to or better than any crucible or faction specific armour and I'm using a pretty lethal legendary hand cannon, a top end legendary sniper rifle and an exotic rocket launcher that looks like it's straight out of Warhammer!

The ONLY incentive I've found so far to actually play the crucible is that I have an exotic hand cannon bounty on the go that started with PVE tasks and now requires points scored in the crucible with void damage....and because it's an exotic weapon i'm sure it'll be better than the hand cannon that i'm currently wielding.

And finally....the thing that grinds my gears is the network drops that happen far too frequently, I didn't issues on the alpha/beta, or at least not to this extent, but even getting disconnected from the tower is just a pee take.

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Skarpar the faction specific items don't require crucible play....if you buy the class item from that faction and wear it during PVE then all your vanguard reputation goes towards that faction instead.
And finally....the thing that grinds my gears is the network drops that happen far too frequently, I didn't issues on the alpha/beta, or at least not to this extent, but even getting disconnected from the tower is just a pee take.
Faction rep in PvE ok, but... don't they just accept Crucible marks to buy things?

My network issues have really disappeared after changing my setup.
So if - as you mentioned somewhere before - you're sure your homenetwork is 100% fine you might want to contact your ISP and ask if they block certain port(range)s in:

Destiny Port Range : Direction
7500-17899 (TCP) : Outbound
30000-40399 (TCP) : Outbound
35000-35099 (UDP) : Inbound and Outbound
3074 (UDP) : Inbound and Outbound

One way of checking ports is PFPortChecker (disclaimer: always verify & viruscheck your downloads, I'm not responsible for anything ;) )

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Load times were a problem until @ColSonders told me about the loadout menu thats available.

My biggest gripe with the title is the heavily assisted aiming. Wish it could be toned down or turned off instead of having your aimed shot tugged off target left/right as the local wizard glides past.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
tugged off.
Forming an orderly queue.

@NVranya I believe Vanguard marks get stored as crucible marks when wearing those items.....you'd need to test this tbh as I'm just going off what I've been told as I have no interest in those faction specific items...they're no better than what i've got.

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@NVranya I believe Vanguard marks get stored as crucible marks when wearing those items.....you'd need to test this tbh as I'm just going off what I've been told as I have no interest in those faction specific items...they're no better than what i've got.
I'll give it a testrun then, not sure how it'll go at the moment since I did max out the Vanguard marks for this week.
Not too interested in faction items per sé, but if it helps getting both Vanguard as Crucible marks without the PVP part then it will be. Even if only to buy legendaries to destroy for the ascended stuff.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Load times were a problem until @ColSonders told me about the loadout menu thats available.

My biggest gripe with the title is the heavily assisted aiming. Wish it could be toned down or turned off instead of having your aimed shot tugged off target left/right as the local wizard glides past.
Didn't know about the loadout menu.

Theres aim assist !! I think it needs turning up a load as I still cant hit bugger all :D

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Didn't know about the loadout menu.

Theres aim assist !! I think it needs turning up a load as I still cant hit bugger all :D
Yeah there is and it's really strong.

If you're aiming at at something and something elses crosses your path your crosshairs are dragged off your target and track whatever walked past....very annoying but I think there's a setting in the options for it.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If you're aiming at at something and something elses crosses your path your crosshairs are dragged off your target and track whatever walked past....very annoying but I think there's a setting in the options for it.
I've checked the options (as has @HaloJ) and we can't find an option to switch it off.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I find the hand cannons very heavy on the aim assist.

Skarpar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll give it a testrun then, not sure how it'll go at the moment since I did max out the Vanguard marks for this week.
Not too interested in faction items per sé, but if it helps getting both Vanguard as Crucible marks without the PVP part then it will be. Even if only to buy legendaries to destroy for the ascended stuff.
Will have to test the marks conversion after the reset tomorrow as this was what I was refering too as they need crucible marks to be purchased - sadly I will need to do a lot more pvp as one of the hand cannons I want (specific perks) is a crucible specific weapon (unless I'm lucky on an engram)

Last edited:

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My biggest bug bear is the wait for a crucible match to begin...waiting for guardians...still waiting for guardians...:|, it would be nice if a match would begin once we reach a minimum allocation i.e. 8 out of 12 players.

Are bungie still gaming in the early 90's, only 12 players per match...

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Aim assist?? really??? noooooo can't be.
Yeah but it works differently to battlefield...instead of snapping onto an enemy you're almost on when you aim down sights...your aim will slowly drag to a moving enemy if they are near enough to your crosshairs

Skarpar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My biggest bug bear is the wait for a crucible match to begin...waiting for guardians...still waiting for guardians...:|, it would be nice if a match would begin once we reach a minimum allocation i.e. 8 out of 12 players.

Are bungie still gaming in the early 90's, only 12 players per match...
I have been in games (Control, because thats what I mostly play) where the match has started with 10 players in game - it seems to take an age before it does start though

edit: I was in a game last night where they started when there were 8 people present :shock:

Last edited:

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Something else, I have a exotic helmet, and yesterday I got a exotic armour, but I can only wear one of them at a time... WTF Is that all about, they didn't allow trading so your kit is what you have earned, only it isn't cause half of it is in the vault cause they won't let me wear it arrrrrgggghhhhhh bastards.