Multi Grand Theft Auto V

Bertiepops

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seeing as we have a release date of 17th September for this, I now need to actually decide if I'm going to buy this or not. I have always been a big fan of the GTA Games, dating all the way back to the first one on PS1, however I am a little dubious on this one.

I can only really give one reason for this, and it is very simply the fact that we will be dealing with Multiple Protagonists. Go back through the history (since GTA3). We had the silent protagonist in GTA3, then Tommy Vercetti, Carl Johnson, Toni Cipriani, Vic Vance and Nico Bellic. It was, all the way through, someone that you could at least try and get invested in, and follow their story through from start of finish. Now three? Reading through on the GTA Wiki page, I grabbed this quote:

"There are many unique features in the game, one of those features is that when the players are playing as one of three protagonists in the game, the other two are living out their daily lives, and you will be surprised by what you find the characters doing when you switch back into them. Another unique feature is the swapping characters feature happens in a Google Earth styled manner and was displayed during a Game Informer demo, which it showed to have ran smoothly and without lag."

Switching between protagonists seems a bit gimmicky, and surely you'll miss things that are happening to the other characters, otherwise time just isn't passing! It all sounds a bit silly to me. I could be wrong, and it may blow me away, but I'll have to wait and see. Right now, I just need to decide if i'm going to pre-order this one.

In the meantime, here are three short videos introducing each of the Protagonists, just in case you haven't seen them yet:

Trevor -
Michael -
Franklin -

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
This will be the one (and only) must buy for me this year. I am a huge fan of the GTA series and can't wait to get my hands on this one. I'm even considering to take a week of starting Sept 17th :D. I don't share @Bertiepops' concern about the characters. I'm possitive Rockstar made this game in a way the player will fall in love with all 3. I am certain it will spice up the game since the area itself will be bigger than GTA San Andrea, Vice City and IV combined (so I've been told). You can switch characters by the push of a button, so travelling from one end of the map to the other is easy.
One thing I do hope Rockstar has improved is Multiplayer. Getting into a game with friends on GTA4 was (and probably still is) near to impossible. If they've done it right this time around, it will be my only game for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Bit bored of GTA, mainly because gangsters/drug lords/pimps have been done to death a thousand times in a million games. Plus Im not a fan of open world games in general (unless the subject matter is of great interest).

I didnt mind IV, but what stopped me playing, and others, was the tiresome task of driving somewhere for half an hour, picking up some gear, driving another half an hour to the objective, die, then repeat. I understand theres got to be a risk/reward in effect, but GTA games tend to be far too punishing.

Heres hoping Rockstar use the awesome Red Dead Redemption as a template for the new game. Now thats how a sandbox game should be done!!! I'll be interested to see what new stuff they bring to the table, as apart from graphics, most of the GTAs havent been great leaps in innovation. Or evolution come to that.

I dunno, reading back on this I sound really negative about the GTA games. Ive played them all, and only managed to complete one of them (Vice City), and even then thats only because I cheated. I tend to only ever see 1/3 of the game, because the rest remains locked to me. I think what gets me the most is that I play games for escapism. Im not looking for realism; Im looking for the fantastical. Im currently playing Far Cry 3, which you could argue whats the difference, as real life vehicles, weapons, island settings etc. There is a supernatural element, but what it does best is over the top. Jumping off a radio tower in a wing suit is bloody fantastic. I know you could base jump with a parachute in GTA, but you had to drive half an hour to get one, drive another half an hour to a suitable spot, commit some minor misdemeanour on the way and end up getting busted, repeat the whole process, etc. I think you get the picture.;)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've been a big fan of the GTA games since GTA3, played most of them to death, particularly Vice City.

I'm hoping for more of the same. I enjoy where they took the series with GTA4, which I know many people didn't like as they didn't see the humour of the previous games. I did think they took a step in the right direction with driving mechanics though, to the point where as much as I loved Vice City I can't stand to go back to it now, best left a fond memory rather than taint it by how it compares to current standard.

Big city should mean plenty of scope for planes and helicopters, which I always enjoyed in previous games, GTA3's dodo was a joy to fly once you figured it out and the Apache in Vice City was wicked fun.

I've not given the GTA series as much attention as it deserves since they started dicking about making bad ports onto handheld consoles, I didn't even finish the extra story (Gay Tony and Lost and Found) on the PS3 due to other games being about at the time. But there's a strong chance i'll play the next one to death.

Fortunately I don't care about the multiplayer aspect, tacked on deathmatch for a third person shooter with poor gun mechanics doesn't make for a great game...although the co-op was always fun....but i'm unlikely to be getting this for PS3, i'll probably pick it up on PC for the boosted graphics.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Despite hating all the violence and bad language , I will no doubt get the next one, play it to death for a couple of weeks then get bored with the repedativness of it and stick it on ebay. Pretty much agree with what slaie wrote.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I didnt like the last outing, it just didnt have that spark that kept me playing, I didnt like the added realism at the expense of fun, I used to love dossing about with pizza delivery and taxi driving, but that was absent in the last game. The theme has been done to death now, cant really see what else they can add to the mix to freshen it up.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Doesnt matter that its been done to death, people will still buy it because its GTA. Look at that "popular fish based shooter" how many times can you remake the same game? but it still sells shitloads.

I'm the same with the GT series, having had them all since the first one. Will I get the next one, if its released on PS3 then yeah I will. But its really just another remake that will (maybe) look a bit nicer.

Back on topic... GTA5, will I get it ? My instinct at the moment says no, its definitely not a day one purchase, but if it seems like a 'must have' then its still only a maybe.

best left a fond memory rather than taint it by how it compares to current standard.
And just how true is that, not only with Vice City but any game. You only have to download an old favourite off of the store to realise how spoilt we are by the current games.

TalllPaul

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I won't be getting this as it is too close to next gen release (possibly) and I want to get a PS4......or Xbox depending on the xbox announcement, more for the sae price is always a plus :P

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Rockstar have now released a Grand Theft Auto V Official Gameplay Video today.

Bertiepops

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I watched this just before I came to the forum, and frankly, I think I may have changed my mind. That looks a bit good...

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No swearing in a demo.
That sold it to me.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Holy crap, it looks even better than I imagined. This game will keep me occupied for a long time :1thumbup:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No swearing in a demo.
That sold it to me.
I would seriously not count on there being a lack of swearing in the final game....would be nice though.

Also.
Shit
Asshole.

In the vid with just a handful of seconds of game speech.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
GTA 5 o'clock: gameplay trailer analysed
Plus: exclusive interview with Rockstar North in special show tomorrow

In this week's GTA 5 o'clock Tim Weaver and Dan Dawkins pick apart the brand new GTA 5 gameplay video Rockstar released earlier today.

GTA 5 o'clock is published every Wednesday at 5PM UK time featuring the most in depth analysis you'll find of 2013's biggest game.
But this week, the duo will be back tomorrow, July 10, with an additional special show featuring an exclusive interview with the GTA 5 developers at Rockstar North.

In January, Rockstar delayed the GTA 5 release date from spring 2013 to September 17 worldwide on Xbox 360 and PS3.
Explaining the move, it said: "The only reason we've delayed the release is because we want the game to be as good as it needs to be."

Source: CVG

GTA 5 o'clock: Rockstar reveals new info in our interview special
Producer Imran Sarwar joins us to discuss combat, customisation and more

Yesterday's debut GTA 5 gameplay video shook the internet - and our web servers - to its core, and as promised, today's special episode of GTA 5 o'clock delivers an exciting aftershock.

Regular hosts Tim Weaver and Dan Dawkins are joined by Rockstar North producer and GTA V's lead mission designer Imran Sarwar, who in an exclusive 20 minute interview reveals brand new details on combat, customisation and much more.

For more in-depth Grand Theft Auto V analysis, make sure you've watched yesterday's hour-long gameplay dissection which features Dan and Tim pulling apart every sequence of the video reveal.

CVG's GTA 5 o'clock show is published every Wednesday at 5PM UK time.

Source: CVG

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just finished watching that first video, an hour of analysis. I have to say this game looks amazing. This is going to be a tough call on whether to grab it for PS3 or to wait for a PS4 version...assuming of course we have confirmation of a PS4 version and maybe a release date by the time this comes out on PS3.

It's looking like they may have finally made the combat system work really well and fingers crossed the online factor will be awesome.

I'll be the one dicking about in the skies as per usual :D

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I'm still in two minds I do like Gta but they have all been the same. I'm impressed with the video but I feel that video thes the days are the selling point to to the game. It's on my maybe list.

Bertiepops

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm still in two minds I do like Gta but they have all been the same. I'm impressed with the video but I feel that video thes the days are the selling point to to the game. It's on my maybe list.
To be honest, I reckon that the description "They have all been the same" could apply to quite a lot of series, most 3rd Person, War based shooters at the top of that list (as a non-player, of course). It's, for me, the little things that make the difference from game to game. The main thing with the GTA games is the character development of your main protagonist, and the storyline as it goes along, as well as the ever increasing size of the Game Area in which to explore and work in.

Don't get me wrong, I can see your point. GTA games are always the same basic premise:
1. Start at the bottom​
2. Find someone of mediocre importance to get some work​
3. This Mediocre person usually has a high level of self worth or Ego.​
4. Do some missions for this person​
5. Move on, and do some stuff for a bunch of other people.​
6. Realise that you could do this shit for yourself.​
7. Do just that.​
8. Piss some folk off​
9. Kill those folk.​
10. Do some poxy stuff, like Taxi Driving, or looking for hidden packages, to 100% complete the game​
Personally, I always thought that the games from GTA3 onwards have been different enough to enjoy thoroughly. I'm still a little edgy on the "3 Protagonist" thing on this one, but if done well, it may be quite rewarding, and definitely better than relying upon AI to help you along the way. I always, somehow, end up scraping the bottom of the 'Tard Barrel when it comes to helpers on games.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
GTA attracts because of the humour (which GTA4 lacked according to some) and its vast and detailed sandbox playground. With GTA5 having all of the above and then some, it will be my last and only day-1 purchase on PS3. I only hope R* has fixed the multiplayer.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've liked all the real GTA games (GTA3,GTA:VC,GTA:SA,GTA4) and am really looking forward to this one.

It may be a case of more of the same to a large extent but the controls of the game have evolved over the main games and this one looks to do that too, I think they pretty much nailed the vehicle handling in the last game but the combat was still pretty pants, something that looks to be a focus this time around, so that's awesome.

I hope you can have a round of golf on multiplayer or play tennis against each other, that would be pretty sweet rather than the pretty bad deathmatch games of the last GTA.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Going off the fact that all CoD games have been identical with minor changes. I found the likes of battlefield going from better to better. Battlefield Modern Combat was good but was very CoD like but with the likes of Bad Company and MoH leading up to Battlefield 3 I feel they jumped from strength to strength. GTA to me has always been exactly the same which isn't a bad thing, but repetition isn't always the best.

If this time around the game plays just like all the others it will be good and the story paves the way for all GTA games. Like @Spruijt said it's the humour that makes the game what it is. I really want them to make the multiplayer identical to Red Dead Redemption so as a group you can mess around in totally open world manner but with the death match and other game modes a side challenge. I like the look of the player switch so, you can an accidentally jump into one of the characters while he's robbing a liquor store and fight/drive your way to freedom. But when you have BF4, Kill zone, Assassins Creed 4, watch Dogs and the division all coming around the same time I wouldn't put GTA at the top of my list of games to buy.

Being related to a secret ancestor of a pirate @Acegadgets I feel the new assassins Creed is a must buy.

Last edited by a moderator: