• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Going Sober for October

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just in case any of you wonder why I may be a bit grumpy during October, this thread is to inform you that I will be taking a month off from my drug of choice during the month of October.

My dad lost his fight against lung cancer a few years ago, having only just turned 54. I've been toying with the idea of taking some time off from the wine just to prove to my mother that I'm not actually an alcoholic. I saw "Go Sober for October" advertised and that it was in aid of Macmillan. The Macmillan nurses were excellent with my dad so I thought why not. If I'm going to take a break anyway I may as well do it in October and potentially raise some money at the same time.
I've just signed up this evening. If any one wants to donate (don't feel obliged), here is my profile page;
https://www.gosober.org.uk/team/teamthomas1

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Don't know how much you usually drink, but good luck!

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Damn it. I was going to laugh uncontrollably at this notion until I read why. Darn you and good causes. And @NVranya, she drank enough that you dare not risk coming between her and the wine. I think some SNRs still have scares from that mistake. But she doesnt drink "much", just on days ending with y.

We have "Dry July" over here for some cause but im sure October works as well.

Good luck, we'll need it :drinks:

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good luck @Plaxinator & feel free to kick / poke me at any time.
I'm just past 5 weeks sober now & hoping to hold out until my birthday in mid-October before relaxing a little.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was going to offer some advice and say "remember coffee is your friend" and then I remembered I drink espresso by the mug and decided against it :crazy:

Good luck plaxi:clap:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Coffee is vile. I only have coffee in my house to stop Mr Plax complaining. He's not allowed to kiss me or breathe in my general direction when he has drunk coffee either. Maybe that's why he drinks it :lol:

Anyway this weekend technically will be the first real challenge as it's usually a Friday I open the wine. If I replace the wine with blackcurrant squash it should be fine.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sorry @Plaxinator but its wine that is vile, most of it tastes like soapy water.

Anyway good luck with giving up the w(h)ine, just got to find a months worth of wine pics to post now :D

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hope you do better than jenxy as she lasted 2 days before coming out of the shop today with a bottle of wine...and she was ill for one of those 2 days.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hope you do better than jenxy as she lasted 2 days before coming out of the shop today with a bottle of wine...and she was ill for one of those 2 days.
Tut, tut tell her. I am fully committed. Signed up, enlisted my sister and even have some donations. I seem to be going through squash at an alarming rate though and it has only been 3 days.

IamNumber6

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Did you survive the weekend unscathed? :praise:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Did you survive the weekend unscathed? :praise:
I did in terms of not drinking any alcohol. I do however have a stinking cold that I have been suffering all weekend :cry:

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hm, or an excuse to get cough syrups or other medicine? Some contain alcohol! :angel:

But grats on surviving the first weekend, just three more to go! :2thumbsup:

Edit: oh, and get well soon

IamNumber6

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
1 more day to go :woot:

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score