The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 God of War Ascension: Review

Discussion in 'Shooting & Action Adventure' started by Spruijt, 13 Apr 2013.

1. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    football-free-god-of-war-ascension-32734.jpg

After 3 God of War games on PS3, Kratos has destroyed the entire Greek mythology. Therefore Ascension takes place before these events. Kratos is trying to break his bloodoath with Ares (fans know why). The Furies, 3 evil godesses, try everything in their power to prevent Kratos from doing so. During the game the Furies pop up to try and stop our hero from advancing by awakening big creatures or by starting a fight themselves. This is pretty much the story, so it's a bit dissapointing compared to God of War 3.

God-of-War-Ascension-Review-Story.jpg
    The Furies

So is the fighting for that matter. Ascension lacks the big battles and bossfights the previous title had. A little over halfway through the game bigger enemies appear and things get more difficult, with a good ending. On the plus side, the combat system has been tweaked to perfection though. You can still chain one glorious move after another to paint the walls red with the blood of your enemies and the quick time events are epic. Kratos' main weapon are his Blades of Chaos, which are upgraded with the powers of the gods throughout the game. The fire of Ares, Ice of Poseidon, Lightning of Zeus and Souls of Hades. Each power has its own combos and are pretty much equal in strength. So stick with a power that you like and upgrade it to the max with the usual red orbs you gain by killing foes and opening chests.
    You can use (disposable) weapons that can be found in key areas. These can't be upgraded and are not really needed as your Blades rule!

Digital-Download-Version-of-God-of-War-Ascension-Out-Next-Week.jpg
    Quick time event

So, the story has a slow start and Kratos spends this first half of the game swatting flies (beautifully though). Are there any good things to be said besides the excellent combat system? Yes sir, Ascension is by far the best looking God of War I've seen. The detail in environment, lighting and characters is truely stunning. And yes, boobies are back gentlemen.

god-of-war-ascension-gow-ps3-screenshots-20.jpg
    About to get crushed

Another big plus is the Multiplayer section. They have taken their time perfecting this and it shows. The maps look absolutely stunning and the combat system is as good as in Singleplayer.
    You start by choosing a god to use his powers. Each god has a different advantage, paper-rocks-scissors style (eg Ares delivers more melee damage) so choose what suits your style. You can change your mind anytime if you think you've made a bad choice.

God-Of-War.jpg
    Multiplayer map

Once you've chosen a god and fitted your fighter with a weapon, armor and colors, you can enter the arena. Modes are Free-For-All/Team Domination and Deathmatch (4/8 players), Capture the flag (4/8 players) and Co-op Survival (1 or 2 players). Starting fresh in any mode is very hard. Higher leveled players have better moves to crush you in an instant so this can be frustrating. Start by doing some co-op (by yourself or with a friend) and unlock some powers and upgrade your armour. Don't think this is a breeze though. You wont get past the first 2 round in the beginning.

250809-h1.jpg
    Poseidon's rage

Once you reach level 5(ish) things are starting to go your way and Multiplayer will become more fun to play. Your k/d ratio will go up and you can start concentrating on combos and finishers. Fighting is chaotic and fast paced, but very satisfying when you rip someone's head off or when someone falls in your trap (which can be set throughout the maps).

In conclusion:
    God of War Ascension looks absolutely stunning and has a perfected combat system, but lacks a compelling storyline (at first). The Multiplayer is a tough nut to crack in the beginning, but is a worthy addition to the game, guaranteeing fast paced action with a big fun factor.

+ Graphics
    + Combat system
    + Multiplayer

- First half boring story
    - Bosses
    - Steep learning curve MP

Disclaimer: written by a foreigner, so excuse the incorrect use of grammar here and there.

Martok, Acegadgets and Slaine like this.
  2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
  3. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    An excellent review, Spruit! :thumbup: Plenty of information about the game and lots of pictures to accompany it too, both really helping me to get a sense of what the game is about and how it plays.

The review reads very well, Spruijt and I'd say you have written it in far better English than I've seen from many native-speaking English people. You should be proud of your writing and setting a good example for the rest of us. :D

ChrissPeacock and Spruijt like this.
  4. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Does look gorgeous but ultimately, I'm not drawn to it as a day 1 purchase.

5. Spruijt

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    I agree mate. Although being a fan it is not worth full price to me. It's a nice change of pace though if you fancy playing something different. I'm keen on playing some mp when members pick up a cheap copy. I'll be waiting...

6. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    The price is already down to £24.08 from Zavvi. See the Bargain Thread for other Zavvi bargains. :)

#6 Martok, 14 Apr 2013
    Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  7. Spruijt

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    I'd say that's a fair price. Single player takes about 10-20 hours to complete on normal, which is impressive these days. And with MP you can add even more hours of brutal carnage.

8. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    #8 Martok, 14 Apr 2013
    Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  9. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Apparently I'm not allowed to spend my money on games anymore :D

10. Spruijt

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Whipped :P

11. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I bought my self 2 t shirts and my son some train, apparently we don't have the cash although last time I checked I had loads on my credit card :D

12. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Just ploughing through this at the mo. Ive played every single God Of War now (including the PSP games), and I have to say this is the best by far. Just when you think that they cant add any more to the formula, they do. I love the special weapons like the Oath Stone Of Orkos and the Amulet Of Uroborus. Not only are these good fun to use as weapons, they also add an extra dimension into some of the most fiendish puzzles yet seen in a God Of War game.

No area or level outstays its welcome, and the whole game is pretty fast paced. Im just outside the Furies temple, so I guess Im not a million miles away from completing it now. Go out and get this guys; it really is a bloody good game.;):thumbup:

Spruijt likes this.
  13. Spruijt

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    There will be a lot more to come mate, enjoy. Let me know when you are ready for some co-op/mp action.

14. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    @Spruijt Ive got the peasant version (ie Im playing my sons copy, so I dont have access to the Multiplayer:cry:). Sorry mate.

#14 Slaine, 4 Jun 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: 10 Aug 2013
  15. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Free God of War: Ascension update adds 1v1 mode, new maps
    'Bout of Honor' offers pure one-on-one fighting without distraction

God of War: Ascension has today received a new update titled 'Bout of Honor' which adds one-on-one fighting and five new levels - for free.

According to developer Sony Santa Monica: "Bout of Honor is a true contest of skill with no chests, fountains, or world weapons to aid you. This mode also disables relics and allows for a Champion's magic to regenerate over time."

[​IMG]

In the mode, magic also generates slowly over time, Sony advising that you "use it sparingly" during battles.

The new mode also comes with four new maps "specifically crafted for Bout of Honor": Canyons of Kirra, Chamber of the Flame, Landing at Delos, and Streets of Sparta".

Gameplay has been adjusted for Bout of Honor to make for fairer fighting. Changes include. "Infinites have been removed, overpowered weapons tweaked, and damage from 100% combos adjusted," explains Sony.

The update also brings with it a new four-player map - The Whirlpool of Alecto - which, according to Sony, "features a giant leviathan whose sole purpose is to unleash Alecto's fury in the form of physical pain onto any unsuspecting warrior careless enough to venture into its domain."

The update is available now for free. Here's a Bout of Honor trailer:

Source: CVG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice