• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

XBOne GAMESCOM 2014: RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER IS XBOX ONE EXCLUSIVE

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Rise of the Tomb Raider is an Xbox One exclusive, Microsoft announced during its press briefing at Gamescom 2014.

"In the next chapter of her journey, Lara must use her survival skills and wits, learn to trust new friends, and ultimately accept her destiny as the Tomb Raider," Microsoft said during Rise of the Tomb Raider's E3 announcement. "Featuring epic, high-octane action moments, Rise of the Tomb Raider will take gamers to multiple locations around the world filled with exploration spaces that are some of the most beautifully hostile places on earth. In addition, after hearing the cry from fans loud and clear, the game will put the tombs back into “Tomb Raider" all in the franchise’s gritty Survival-Action style."

Crystal Dynamics sequel to Tomb Raider launches in Holiday 2015.

Source.

Twitter and Facebook are currently exploding over this. There's a lot of unhappy gamers out there!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Bit gutted about this one too. Must have cost Microsoft a pretty penny bearing in mind the current sales estimates are 3 to 1 in favour of the ps4.

Magic The Gathering was my biggest disappointment . I love these games.

Not a bad conference for Microsoft though. Roll on 6pm:woot:

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't really been paying any attention to the MS conference. I figured there would be a lot of interest in the Tomb Raider announcement though.

Let's see what happens at 6 then! :)

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is that a full MS only exclusive or timed ?

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's a full MS exclusive.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is that a full MS only exclusive or timed ?
Full Xbox exclusive. Whats really gutting is Microsoft could've spent the money developing a new game, as Tomb Raider was coming to the Xbone anyway. Instead they waste it trying to block the competition.
Debatable if it wouldve sold well on the ps4 anyway bearing in mind its got the same release window as the new Uncharted.

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think the last TR was great, so I'm dissapointed as well.
And sorry Microsoft, but I won't get your console just for Lara

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I didn't think that Tomb Raider would have been popular enough to be an exclusive.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I didn't think that Tomb Raider would have been popular enough to be an exclusive.
Unless she's going commando for all the preteens who haven't found Cols stash on the net yet.....

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's a very weird move. I wonder if Microsoft is helping to actually fund the game or just throwing money at it.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It does show how nervous MS still are, buying up a well liked franchise rather than creating new IP, it is quite short sighted, long term they and Sony need to develop new content for the new consoles rather than buying individual titles successful last gen.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
There is a suggestion its a timed exclusive, very carefully worded announcement leaves room to hope its only for 2015 after which it will arrive on other formats

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
There is a suggestion its a timed exclusive, very carefully worded announcement leaves room to hope its only for 2015 after which it will arrive on other formats
Looks like you're right. Enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My mate that knows his stuff says that it is a timed exclusive.

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well, the last one was a surprise hit, on par with the Uncharted series. Haven't you played it? If not, worth picking up imho, especially if on sale

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well having just watched Sonys press conference I can now say safely let the baby have its bottle. We've got a ridiculous amount of games, a lot of them exclusive too, coming our way.
The sting has been well and trult taken out of the loss of Tomb Raider now!!:D:woot:

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Slaine care to share? Not everyone has seen it ;)

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Far too many to mention. Wild and Tearaway for the ps4 stand out for me. Rime is looking better all the time. DayZ, Hollowpoint, Tommorrow Children etc etc. Hellblade from Ninja Theory is worth checking out too.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"
"I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes," Phil Spencer says.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

But the wording of its statement caused some to wonder whether the game would eventually launch on other platforms. Spencer wouldn't speak for Square Enix on this, but did compare the deal to that it had for Xbox One games Dead Rising and Ryse, which will also launch on PC.

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.

Here's our conversation:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Angry gamers have directed many of their comments towards Square Enix, accusing the publisher of selling out and alienating their PlayStation and PC owning customers.

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft."

Source: Eurogamer