Funny Hobbies and Pastimes

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A bit on the noisy side but finally managed to get my camera mounted onto my quad and get it tested.

Also finishes by catching some long grass on the landing gear and dragging it straight into the dirt.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looks really good Col. Video quality is much better than I expected, what camera are you using?

I will have to pull my finger out and learn how to use YouTube so I can upload my feeble efforts! What resolution are you uploading at, what kind of file size was your video?

Back to the quad, having never played with one, just how stable is it, does it self centre when you release the sticks? I ask because I have a young nephew who is just getting to grips with radio control but seems to be learning fast and was pretty good on my RC sim when he was here last. He really wants to learn to fly and I wonder whether I should push him in the direction of a quad rather than fixed wing, I'm thinking the ability to stop and calm down mid flight could be good in a brief moment of confusion.

Just been told by my lovely wife that I should get one myself, she thinks it would be fun to get some aerial footage when we go out for the day in the Dub. Of course I have to agree with her!

Is that still the one to get or is there something else that has caught your attention since you bought yours?

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Nice footage Col and some great reach too. How high was that, 40 meters?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
High enough to get over the secure fences at naturist resorts. ;)

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
ColSonders said:
A bit on the noisy side but finally managed to get my camera mounted onto my quad and get it tested.
When you said Quad Ithought you meant a Quadbike so was a little surprised to see it flying. :oops: :lol:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Spruijt said:
Nice footage Col and some great reach too. How high was that, 40 meters?
I don't know specifically, but maybe even higher than 40 meters, it's actually really hard to tell when flying and even harder to tell on video as once you get a bit of height it's hard to see that you're still accelerating at a fair pace.

ChrissPeacock said:
Looks really good Col. Video quality is much better than I expected, what camera are you using?

I will have to pull my finger out and learn how to use YouTube so I can upload my feeble efforts! What resolution are you uploading at, what kind of file size was your video?
Thanks, the video is better than I was expecting too, I use the same camera for everything I do, it's a Kodak ZX1 I picked up for about £20, it records in 720p at 60fps (which is why I think the quality seems fairly decent). Uploaded it straight to Youtube from iMovie, not something I usually do, but it should of uploaded at 720p and I have no idea about the file size, uncompressed/pre-processing the raw video is usually about 4gb for about 50 minutes of footage.

ChrissPeacock said:
Back to the quad, having never played with one, just how stable is it, does it self centre when you release the sticks? I ask because I have a young nephew who is just getting to grips with radio control but seems to be learning fast and was pretty good on my RC sim when he was here last. He really wants to learn to fly and I wonder whether I should push him in the direction of a quad rather than fixed wing, I'm thinking the ability to stop and calm down mid flight could be good in a brief moment of confusion.
This quad self centres really well actually, i'm VERY impressed with that aspect of it, the downside means it has to be very level when putting the battery in. I would not recommend this quad for a learner for reasons i'll cover in a sec, but I would recommend the MQX for a learner, however there's no self centre on that at all.

ChrissPeacock said:
Just been told by my lovely wife that I should get one myself, she thinks it would be fun to get some aerial footage when we go out for the day in the Dub. Of course I have to agree with her!

Is that still the one to get or is there something else that has caught your attention since you bought yours?
Aerial footage is what quads really excel at, that video was my first blast out with a camera on board and I did nothing to stabilise the camera (though did some post-processing for stabilising the picture).

The Flight Control board on this quad seems really good, it self centres well and the whole platform is stable enough for a camera with no tweaking required. However these things are well known for having faulty ESC boards, which can't be replaced with third party boards, the motors aren't very powerful (although with the climb rate i'm seeing that's hard to believe) and the frame itself is flimsy, my frame is bent now after a bumpy landing on it's first flight, mine now needs to be trimmed for hands off hover (quads shouldn't need this) and at full throttle it rudders left slightly because of the imbalance of the props due to the bent frame. So at the price of these things i'd say it's not the quad I would go for. I will be replacing the frame with something far sturdier and in time probably replacing the Flight Control board and ESC when something blows.

You could buy a frame and the individual components to build something that would blow this out of the water for half the price.

Due to the costs of these things I couldn't recommend it for someone new to RC flying. I would recommend the V929 though, which is a cheapy rip-off of my MQX, it's stable and bounces like you wouldn't believe, a bigger quad is much like a heli, if you crash it's a case of replacing broken parts and potentially a rebuild before getting it back in the air.

As for a quad big enough for a camera load, you could do a lot worse than the T380, it's far from perfect but the well programmed board makes up for this quite a bit.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Somewhat excited today, many moons back I was an avid (understatement) collector of all Marvel X-Men and X-Related titles. Unfortunately hard times financially put an abrupt stop to this and my extensive collection. Sad and dark days indeed :(. However back in 2012 a story arc emerged that got me interested in reading them again:

Avengers vs X-Men

There were quite a lot of them , but a lovely hardcover book collecting them brought me much joy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-Vs-X-Men-Brian-Bendis/dp/0785163174/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368715286&sr=1-2&keywords=avengers+vs+x+men

Sweet, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This led to me looking at what other related titles fed into this main storyline. Bloody hell there were loads. Lady Shroud however beat me to the punch and ordered for my birthday the companion hardback book, that collects all of them (double sweet):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-X-Men-Companion-Brian-Bendis/dp/0785168516/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368715286&sr=1-1&keywords=avengers+vs+x+men

It arrived this very day, and by God what a tome it is to, my eyes are going to feel blessed upon placing them upon both word and picture, thanking my brain for the wonderous interpretation and Lady Shroud for her ingenuity. I am what they say a happy man :).

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Glad, you're a happy chappy Shroud. I wish i could get excited about something.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Surely knowing me makes you excited mate ;)

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I never get to play online with you anymore though as we work in differernt time zones.
Actually I am a bit excited about my new car as mentioned on the mid life crysis thread (which i';ll have to photograph soon) and grid 2 coming out in a couple of weeks.
But I dont seem to collect things or have a hobby anymore.
Been through, stamps, birds eggs, LPs, coins, fly fishing stuff. RC helicopters, Rc Cars, F1 pictures, golf clubs, tropical fish, Koi and meerkats. Perhaps I need a new hobby or collection?

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ive got a nice collection of dust :2thumbsup:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I was gonna start collecting vinyl figures but my partner decided it wasn't a good idea with a small child around. Think I'll stick to bourbon as a hobby keeps me comatose and happy....

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have a collection of stormtroopers and clonetroopers JK. I just keep them up on a high shelf for display, so little hands can't grab and swallow them. Plus I hadn't realised a biscuit could make you comatose ;).

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I have a collection of stormtroopers and clonetroopers JK. I just keep them up on a high shelf for display, so little hands can't grab and swallow them. Plus I hadn't realised a biscuit could make you comatose ;).
:D only when I eat 2387 in one sitting

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've got some of those little footballers with the big heads that were out about 20 years ago. I've a draw full of old TV remotes, unusual leads, mobile phones and chargers that dont seem to match the phones. Also got a nice wig collection that i will make available to @Spruijt when he visits.

I really think I need to clear out some of the crap thats in the drawers in our house.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You could have the mother of all boot sales mate ;)

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If my new car had a boot it would be a good idea. If i open my boot ,i,ve only an engine, if i open my bonnet , only space for a spare wheel and a carrier bag.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
In that case you need a boot sale to buy a proper car then :D:evil: