Funny Hobbies and Pastimes

kencanvey

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
mick said:
ColSonders said:
mick said:
My latest hobby is RC helicopters - my wife got me a little toy one for my birthday in January and since then i've had 3 other heli's that have either failed or just been a bit crap and i've sold on, but currently have a Blade 120SR and a Blade MQx and am really enjoying learning to fly them.
awww ive always wanted a RC helicopter. :(
If you wanna give them a try I would strongly recommend the WLToys V929
linky

It's basically a cheapy replica of the Blade MQX that i've got. Almost all of the parts are interchangable between the two, but the V929 has different electronic on board with much cheaper gyros and the facility to do a pre-programmed flip!

It's not a helicopter, but is far more forgiving yet still a very capable little machine, it can handle wind that would keep helicopters several hundered pounds more expensive on the ground and has few moving parts and is therefore dead easy to maintain/replace parts for without any complicated setup of new bits. Also comparatively indestructible compared to any helicopter I've seen.

That would give you a real taste of whether you'd get on with the hobby or not.

Note that the above quadcopter isn't comparable to the 3.5 channel heli's you'll see in gadget shops, those can't fly in ANY wind, lots of them can't even fly outdoors due to using infa-red transmitters and they don't have the depth of control or stability of this little quad. That quad is the best RC flying device you'll get for under £100.
I like the look of this one what sort of things should I look out for if I do decide to get something
I like this one Clicky

This too

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I keep typing loads and then deleting it as it's information overload from what i've learned over the past year.

I had one of those, it's rubbish. As I said, 3.5 channel heli's can't fly in any wind and you don't have enough control to fly them in confined spaces, leaving you with finding a building to fly it inside such as a sports hall or requiring a day with absolutely no wind, which rarely happens in England.

If you want a heli get the WLToys V911 as your first heli, it's a full 4 channel heli that will take a considerable battering.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
okies, made a note of that cheers col.
I like the sound of considerable battering lol

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Many moons ago I was an avid and serious collector of comics. The vast majority were X-Men titles, but unfortunately fell on some hard financial times and the collection required sacrificing, to which this day I still shed a tear over. However this is not a tale of complete woe, yesterday my order of a very fine hardback limited edition collection of the recent X-Men vs The Avengers storyline arrived in the post, very nice :D .

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
SHROUD said:
but unfortunately fell on some hard financial times and the collection required sacrificing, to which this day I still shed a tear over.
This is why Im such a hoarder. I hate parting with anything. One of my biggest regrets was letting my mum give away my entire Star Wars figure collection (it was huge :( ). I discovered girls you see, and nothing spoils your chances with teenage totty than a load of plastic dollies. Big regret, especially when you consider the huge let down that is women/losing your virginity. Ultimate experience my arse. Give me a crate of Fosters and a kebab anyday

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A bit of a hoarder on stuff I collect. My comic collection filled several full size coffin boxes (as they call them in the comic industry ;) ). Had every issue of Excalibur, X-Force and X-Factor (not the crappy TV show :lol: ) the vast majority of the Uncanny X-Men and every issue of X-Men that was out up until I stopped. Plus numerous mini-series. I even had signatures from Chris Claremont and Jim Lee I got in person.

It wan't all X-Men I did have some of DC's Lobo :D .

Going to enjoy my new grphic novel :D .

PS - Loosing the virginity is always a fun time, but keeping it going is where the fun is, followed by a kebab and a beer :D :D :D :D .

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Slaine said:
Big regret, especially when you consider the huge let down that is women/losing your virginity. Ultimate experience my arse. Give me a crate of Fosters and a kebab anyday
Your kidding right ??? :shock:

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Slaine said:
when you consider the huge let down that is women/losing your virginity. Ultimate experience my arse.
It's that good?!!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No Im not kidding. I still like women, but theyre not the dominate driving force in my life any more. Ive taken back control of my penis and now my head rules my head. My ideal night is a few dvds, crate of Fosters or Castlemaine with meat & chips and burger sauce. Less complicated and with none of the hassles or bullshit.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've gotta say looking back that the whole losing of the virginity was anything but the special moment it was meant to be.

I do regularly choose to spend time with my wife over spending time on my hobbies though, if only I could stop her from spending more money than I earn i'd have a pretty hassle free relationship :D

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I tell you something else too, noone has struck out more times than me. But when I gained control of my life and refused to make the pursuit of women my all, its as if God came down and wiped the words "desparate" off my forehead. Honestly, I had a lot more success with women when I wasnt trying or interested. The flip side is of course I genuinely didnt care and wasnt interested. :lol:

Getting knocked back by the likes of me?!?!? Thats gotta hurt. :lol:

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm at the other end of the Spectrum Slaine. Sick of fighting 'em off ;) :evil: :lol: .

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Finally got my last birthday present. Will let you know how I get on - I suspect I will need to get some spare blades on order pretty sharpish!

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Very nice crispy, you'll defo have to let me know how you get on with that little thing, I know they're a handful. probably more than I could handle safely.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Had a couple of outdoor shakedown flights this afternoon that were successful - ie got it down again in one piece! Need a bit of space to be safe but is very smooth to fly with good manoeuvrability and masses of power on tap. Giro seems particularly good, head hold is unshakeable.

Can I get video up on here or does it have to go via YouTube?

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I miss my Honey Bee King 2, you can get them for cheap these days around £100. I spend any of my spare cash on games so no time for a proper hobby lol

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Got my MCPX v2 BNF (no transmitter) for £96 including delivery from hobbystores. Always had good service and fast dispatch, would recommend them happily.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what Transmitter are you running with?

Careful with that little baby doing aggressive manoeuvres on anything more than a couple minutes into the battery as the tail will lose it's hold quite easily.

I was actually thinking about picking up the Blade Nano, which is even smaller than the MCPX but still fully collective pitch.

Currently I think my hanger is at it's limit with the Blade 120SR that I rarely fly, the Blade MQX that I fly as often as I can and two new additions at Christmas of a HobbyKing Mini Atom powered glider and an RC Concept T380 quad.

Knowing my luck i'll get shite weather once I get my hands on those.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm running a Spektrum Dx6i which came with my Blade400. I've been very pleased with it so far though the sticks are a bit long for my taste.

Regarding the tail motor issue, I only hope that one day I will be good enough to need the brushless main motor and 120sr tail rotor upgrade!