The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS4 Free-to-play battle royale shooter H1Z1 enters open beta on PS4 next month

Discussion in 'Shooting & Action Adventure' started by Martok, 25 Apr 2018.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Fight over airdrops and keep ahead of a killer gas designed to keep matches to a nail-biting 15 minutes on 22nd May

Hey everyone! I’m Terrence Yee, a producer on H1Z1, and I’m very excited to share some big news with you today: H1Z1 is coming to the PlayStation 4 as a free-to-play game next month!

This is the battle royale game for fans of action console shooters. Battle royale should be about the adrenaline rush you get from being one of the last few remaining, so we’ve drilled down to that core gameplay experience to keep players engaged in all the action. This means more guns, more vehicles, more weapons, a streamlined UI, familiar console controls and faster matches—it’s pure battle royale.

Plus, we’ve added a new take on in-match power progression that forces players to make strategic decisions if they want to win.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now, players will have to engage with airdrops – which drop in masses and frequently — if they want access to better weapons and gear. This includes six new guns – the KH43, Marauder, MK46, Combat Shotgun, CNQ-09 and Scout Rifle.

The gas, which is dynamically based of the population, also moves faster to speed up the pace of the game, ensuring that matches don’t last more than 15 nail-biting minutes.

The battle royale craze has taken over the world and it has been amazing to be part of the genre from the beginning. We can’t wait to hear about your pure battle royale experience on the PS4.

If you want to jump into the action early to help test H1Z1 on the PS4, sign up for the closed beta here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We hope to see you all on 22nd May, with the start of open beta. Until then, be sure to follow H1Z1 on social to stay up to date on all the news. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch.

Source: Free-to-play battle royale shooter H1Z1 enters open beta on PS4 next month

2. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    11 tips for dominating the H1Z1: Battle Royale beta, live on PS4 tomorrow
    Hit the ground running this week with some expert advice from the development team

1Z1: Battle Royale will be available to download for free on PlayStation 4 tomorrow and we could not be more excited! We know battle royale games can be a bit intimidating – outlasting 99 other people is no easy feat – so the team compiled a handful of tips and tricks to help you develop your winning strategy.

[​IMG]

For those who are unfamiliar with H1Z1, it’s a fast-paced battle royale action shooter, where 100 players parachute down, but only 1 can win. Players must quickly loot up with base gear and then head for safety, as a toxic gas compresses the map.

As time goes on, waves of airdrops release with varying levels of gear. The first wave of airdrops, which are colored green, contain level-1 items like the AK-47 and AR-15. Level-2 and level-3 weapons and gear come in the next waves of airdrops, which are identified with purple and gold light beacons. Players will have to decide when and how to engage if they want to get a leg up on the competition.

Now, let’s help you develop your winning strategy!

Starter tips:
    1. Practice your aim and learn bullet drop mechanics in Combat Training before taking the dive into battle royale matches!
    2. Finding a weapon should be your first priority after touching down – remember, with 99 other players in the match, there’s always someone nearby.
    3. Master the weapon wheel – you can hold up to two weapons from the start, with level-1 and level-2 backpacks each unlocking a 3rd and 4th weapon slot.
    4. Pay attention to the planes overhead – the military crates they drop across the map are a guaranteed way to get more powerful gear and weapons.
    5. Use the minimap and compass to locate a vehicle – police cruisers, jeeps, trucks and ATVs make it easier to grab airdrops before the competition, and offer the quickest path to safety as the gas rings start closing.

[​IMG]

Pro tips:
    1. Looking for a fight? If you can’t wait to find your next opponent, hop in a police cruiser, press Right on the D-pad to turn on the sirens, and head towards an airdrop.
    2. Feeling exposed while opening an airdrop? Drop a smoke grenade to provide cover!
      Molotovs are a key item to surviving. When used strategically, they can force other players out from cover, making it easier to take them down.
    3. Don’t skyline yourself! It may be tempting to run along the top of the hill so that you get a commanding view of the area, but that means everyone in the area also gets a view of you!
    4. Move so your head is just under the crest of the hill – you’ll still see a lot, but prevent enemies from spotting you.
    5. Remember to upgrade your armor – standard helmets and makeshift armor can be looted throughout the map, but stronger tactical helmets and laminated armor can only be found in airdops and military crates.

[​IMG]

Bonus tip!
    When exploring the map, listen for radio chatter as it will tell you the location of a nearby military crate. These hidden crates spawn randomly in the world and can be a safer way to grab better gear and weapons than airdrops. They’re also a great way to loot up BEFORE the first wave of airdrops!

See you in the game!

Source: 11 tips for dominating the H1Z1: Battle Royale beta, live on PS4 tomorrow

Pafkes, IamNumber6 and zoob like this.
  3. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    H1Z1: Battle Royale open beta releases on PS4, is surprisingly good
    Back from the dead.

By all accounts H1Z1 is very much like a zombie itself - it straight up refuses to die. After a slow start as a post-apocalyptic survival sim in 2015, the game adopted a battle royale mode that rocketed the game to the top of the Steam charts.

Unfortunately, a lack of updates soon saw the game fade into obscurity as contenders PUBG and Fortnite arrived to offer finer shooting mechanics and more enticing gameplay.

Despite this, developer Daybreak refused to give up and, after witnessing the success of Bluehole and Epic's shooters, it released multiple game changing updates in a bid to recapture the public's interest. When H1Z1's most recent update, Auto Royale failed to gain traction it really seemed like all was lost, but with the launch of H1Z1 on PS4, things may finally be looking up for the title.

While the H1Z1's open beta has only just gone live on the PlayStation store, I've spent the last few days playing around with the game's closed beta and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well it plays.

The key to H1Z1's potential success on console lies in its simplicity. A lot of the mechanics present in the PC version have been streamlined and tailored to work with a minimal amount of effort on console controllers.

If you've ever struggled to navigate Fortnite's complicated construction menus on a DualShock 4, or died in a panic as you tried to drop an attachment in PUBG on Xbox One, H1Z1: Battle Royale will come as a wonderful breath of fresh air. With no building to worry about and with a host of guns that come with attachments already included, scavenging for weapons and swapping load-outs is refreshingly simple, leaving you with nothing to worry about other than staying alive.

[​IMG]
    From hopping in and out of cars to picking up loot, most actions are done with a simple press of the triangle button.

As ever with battle royale titles, the play area in H1Z1 slowly shrinks, pushing surviving players closer together. For the PS4 version, this gameplay loop has been sped up to make the average match last around 15 minutes. Airdrops float down from the sky at regular intervals offering brave players bigger and better weapons and armour. Much like in Fortnite, you'll also be able to find loot crates hidden around the game world by listening out for the telltale sound of radio chatter as you get close.

Because of this, H1Z1 comfortably straddles the middle ground between PUBG and Fortnite. With its semi-realistic visuals it offers a distinct 'PUBG-lite' vibe, but the speed of the gameplay and ease of control makes it much more easy to pick up and play than either game I just mentioned.

Crucially, the closed beta gave me the impression that H1Z1 will launch in a playable state, unlike PUBG on the Xbox One that was, and still is, beset by graphical glitches and network issues. Graphics wise H1Z1 does look rather dull and last gen though, sporting clumsy animations and a joyless colour palette that makes distant enemies tricky to spot.

Skip to 57 minutes in the video above if you want to see me win a match.

Aside from that though, my first impressions are good! I'm looking forward to playing more H1Z1 on PS4, which is a great sign as I'd completely written off the PC version. If Daybreak can continue to support and update the game at the rapid pace and not leave the game to fallow like they did in 2016, H1Z1 has a great chance of snagging the PUBG crowd on PS4.

H1Z1: Battle Royale's open beta is free for all to download but there are multiple, purchasable bundles which offer skins for customising your character. The game will remain free-to-play once it eventually launches proper, so expect loot crates and micro-transactions aplenty in the near future.

Source: H1Z1: Battle Royale open beta releases on PS4, is surprisingly good

4. Pafkes

Pafkes Wait for it
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Pafkes
    Well, I've been trying to get into a game last 2 days. It didn't happen. I'll be back when they have sorted things out :(

5. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Apparently there's been a lot more interest in the game than the developers were expecting.

I shall try later to see if I can get a game.

6. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    H1Z1 dev battles login issues as PS4 open beta hits 1.5m players
    Royale with needs.

Battle royale game H1Z1 is out now on PlayStation 4 - and it's been an early hit.

The game's open beta has seen over 1.5 million players, developer Daybreak announced, since it launched just two days ago.

That's an impressive figure (although it's worth pointing out that H1Z1 is, like rival battle royale game Fortnite, free to download), but it is one that has caused problems for the game. Players have complained about not being able to login or make purchases.

Our Ian Higton, who is big into the game at the moment, told me he's also running up against these issues. Here's what he said:

"During the day you can quickly and comfortably jump into a match on H1Z1: Battle Royale and have a lovely time. At 4pm when the kids get back from school though, H1Z1: Battle Royale becomes a very different game. As it struggles to keep up with the new influx of players its servers collapse in on themselves rendering it unplayable to the majority. Sometimes you'll be lucky enough to sneak into a solo match after half an hour's wait but you can never guarantee that you'll get straight into another one after you bite the bullet.

"Squad matches are another thing entirely, the lobby and matchmaking systems both seem faulty and at peak times this mode is almost impossible to play. Even if you do get into a game you're almost certainly going to be missing a teammate or two. Thankfully things calm down again at around 10pm when all the kids have finally shuffled off to bed but by that time most of my mates want to pack it in as well. The sooner Daybreak can sort some more servers out for H1Z1 the better."

In a tweet, Daybreak said it was working on these issues.

It's been a rollercoaster ride for H1Z1. Daybreak insists the game is the original standalone battle royale title, a claim that stems from the February 2016 split of the original H1Z1 into the release of two separate projects: H1Z1: Just Survive and H1Z1: King of the Kill. In October 2017, Just Survive dropped the H1Z1 name, and King of the Kill became simply H1Z1. After three years of being in early access, H1Z1 officially released on 28th February 2018. Shortly after, the game went free-to-play.

H1Z1 is actually pretty good on PS4, according to Ian. If you fancy giving it a shot, be sure to check out his video, below.

Source: H1Z1 dev battles login issues as PS4 open beta hits 1.5m players

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I tried to play this last night but failed due to the server issues they were having. I did manage to squeeze in a couple of games this morning though.

The game isn't Fortnite. Depending on how you feel about that game, that may (or may not) be a good thing. There's certainly no hoppy bastards or building mechanic in the game, so if you don't like either or both of those then you should take a look at H1Z1.

The game isn't as colourful as Fortnite, the colour palette is a lot more muted, though I guess that's partly because they are aiming for a more realistic look. Graphically it's not as cartoony as Fornite though I'd also say it doesn't look as good as games like Battlefield, if anything it looks a bit last gen (or early PS4 at least). I guess that might improve over time, it is currently a beta after all.

The island is very big and you are just dropped into it, you don't choose when to jump out of a floating bus/plane. I found it difficult to travel far when parachuting down, I don't know if I just haven't worked this out yet or if there's simply a limited radius in which you can land in.

On landing you have nothing whatsover so your first job is to find weapons and supplies. Unlike Fortnite which has 5 free slots for everything, you start with just 2 weapon slots and need to find a backpack to unlock a 3rd weapon slot (and a better backpack gives you a 4th slot). However, grenades, bandages and health packs are all separate from this. There are also different types of grenades (including molotovs) and you can have up to 4 different types (I guess depending on what backpack you havev). In addition ammo and grenades seem to have a max number which appeared to increase with a backpack/better backpack. Finally there's armour - chest and helmet - to be separately equipped. I also found various clothing items dotted around. I think that changes your appearance in the game and, if you haven't found a clothing item before, it's then available for you to customise your character our of the game (ready for when you enter the game).

As with Fortnite, there is a circle that decreases throughout the game (in this case it's gas that causes this). However in H1Z1 this seems to happen more quickly and, from what I've seen so far, you really need to find a vehicle to help you move about as going on foot can easily get you caught by the gas (you then start losing health until you are out of it). It's great to see vehicles in the game but I think they need to slow down the circle reduction as it's not always easy to find a vehicle (there are lots around but only a few are drivable).

There are loot crates which drop at intervals throughout the game and there are also some smaller crates (which emit a sound when you're close by so you know there's one around). The loot crates that are dropped supposedly have better weapons as the game progresses - I think the quality of the weapons inside is indicated by the coloured vertical line of light that comes from it when it lands. So far I've seen green and purple (I assume this means uncommon and rare).

Combat seems OK, though I've not really played it enough to form a full opinion on it yet. I've been killed as well as killed others though so far that's been close quarters in each case. I think there are sniper rifles as I'm sure someone was shot with one but I've not had my hands on them yet.

Game modes - currently there's solo and 5-player squads. Duos is due to arrive at the end of the week I believe.

Outside of the game you can customise your character with various clothing items. You can also choose skins for armour, weapons and vehicles so that when you find these in the game they will have the skin that you have chosen.

Just like Fortnite there are daily challenges which earn you in-game currency that you can spend in the in-game store on various things. It also looks like you can earn or buy crates which contain skins - I unlocked 2 of these just through playing.

I shall give this a further try to see what I think. Do give it a go yourself if you like Fortnite and even if you don't!

zoob, NVranya and Pafkes like this.
  8. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Well I played some more of this yesterday. Graphically it's poor when you compare it to the likes of Battlefield (I also jumped onto Battlefield 1 yesterday afterwards and what a contrast!) I'd have to say I'm quite disappointed in the graphics, it's quite dull and uninspiring, the animation isn't great and IMO it looks like a last gen title rather than something that's fitting for the PS4.

The gameplay itself is OK but not inspiring, it doesn't flow as well as Fortnite or other games.

I don't think it's a Fortnite killer and, unless they pull their finger out and improve things, they'll be overtaken by other games vying for the 'realistic' Battle Royale crown.

9. Solo-nite

Solo-nite Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Solo-nite
    To be honest I am really enjoying the game. Graphically it isn't amazing, but compared to PC version it is way better.

The combat is 100% better than fortnite. I actually get kills in this game for using cover fire etc not building a friggin skyscraper and have John wick bouncing in front of you, one shotting you when all you did is get 9 damage to his head, point blank with a shotgun (friggin annoys me)

Of course this is still in beta form. Bugs need ironing out, server needs a boot. Things are being added in soon like emp grenades against cars and air strikes.

I think this game can do well as the middle man. If PUBG joins PS4 I think it might be the better game but do I want to spend £30 on a Battle Royale game? No

10. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I've found it to be OK - it's not amazing but neither is it complete rubbish. If the graphics are better than the PC then that must look like a dog! Really they do need to improve this, a fresher colour palette would certainly help and some more textures which are definitely missing especially in buildings. Compare it to Battlefield and you'll know what I mean.

It's the bunny hopping in Fortnite that particularly annoys me, they need to give a greater penalty to that. I've had a few shooting incidents like you describe too. This is where a game like H1Z1 could take a chunk of people away who hate these, but currently looking like something an undergrad student wrote for his mid-term exam doesn't help matters.

Adding more is fine if they can make it look nicer! IMO they also need to slow down the gas, the circle decreases too quickly and you have to use a vehicle to move or get injured/die. Also there's too many in the small circle at the end, I think they'd do better with a smaller map and slower shrinking area.

Indeed not but as I said, games like Battlefield 5 will look to bring in a Battle Royale (style) mode that will give you the gameplay with a better engine and graphics plus a whole lot more game besides. PUBG has missed the (Fortnite) bus as it were, at least for PS4.

Solo-nite likes this.
  11. Solo-nite

Solo-nite Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Solo-nite
    Oh PC version does like a right dog. I agree they need to improve the palette. They sped up the game with gas cloud because on pc the games can last 30 mins which you don't want in br.

Yea you couldn't compare this to battlefield graphics as that is a different level

12. Wilks

Wilks Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Wilks
    I'm not too sure about these Battle Royale games. I want to enjoy them as I think they're a great concept but then I get bored, turn it off and then think about playing again. :D

Solo-nite likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice