Fibre Optic

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Okay, I know there are a few IT type bods on here.

I am getting fibre optic installed. The engineer date is on the 8th. Guess what, that's right, the b@st*rd electricity company has sent a circular around saying they are "interrupting" my electricity supply on the 8th! The engineer isn't available again until the 22nd, I am too impatient to wait this long.

So my question is this - does the fibre optic engineer really need electricity to set up? Sure for setting up the hub etc, but I'm pretty sure I can set that up myself. The phone usually works even when the electricity is out (unless of course it's a wireless one). So on this assumption can he do his job without electric? Surely it's just poking the master socket or something?

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why he can't switch your line to optic.

However the engineer coming out will also be required to install your new router, it's part of the job, and that will require electrickery. He'll also need to run line tests to ensure everything is functioning as it should and he'll also need to do a speed test for the records.

So yeah he's gonna need electricity unfortunately.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cheers Col. I was in denial. I knew the answer deep down. Now I have to wait an extra 10 days! Trauma