The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Fallout - the board game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martok, 1 Dec 2017.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    [​IMG]

Fallout the board game is something that both @HaloJ and I and @HERMAN_JELMET have been keeping an eye on, and it's available for preorder and will be released next week.

Fallout the board game is based on Fallout the video game. The game is for 1 - 4 four players (yes, it can be played solo) and each person takes on a role within an irradiated landscape inspired by those in Fallout 3 & 4. With just a few locations pinpointed on their map, the players choose whether to work together or individually to explore these mysterious regions that lay before them. Along the way, each player will face a wealth of choices, deciding whether to pursue experience or Caps, collect loot or loyal companions, and progress the main questline or veer off to the vaults. As the players move around the board, building their skills and filling their inventory, the area’s warring factions will gain power, forcing the players to pledge loyalty or defy conformity, all in pursuit of gaining the most influence of anyone else in the wasteland.

[​IMG]

The game comes with 5 miniatures representing the characters that you can choose to play as.

[​IMG]

Each character (Ghoul, Wastelander, Super Mutant, Vault Dweller, Brotherhood Outcast) has a character card and unique special abilities. During the course of the game you can find items that will help you including weapons, armour, companions, perks and influence. In addition you have your Pip-Boy board where you can light up your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and keep an eye on your health and radiation

[​IMG]

The game comes with 4 scenarios to play through that will be different each time due to the large number of cards in the game (72 Encounter Cards, 100 Quest Cards, 14 Perk Cards, 34 Loot Cards, 25 Asset Cards, 11 Unique Asset Cards, 23 Agenda Cards) and the 21 map tiles that will be laid out differently each time.

[​IMG]

The winner of the game is the person who gets the most influence (based on the number of players).

More information can be found here:

Fallout: The Board Game

A copy of the rules and the rules reference sheet is here:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...4b31-b395-62aa1ef37ef4/zx02_learn_to_play.pdf

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...bb-be7b-2ea61e6469a3/zx02_rules_reference.pdf

A review of the game my Man vs Meeple:

A complete playthrough (though it's quite long) is here:

2. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    I clocked that yesterday and thought of you.
    Shouldn't be surprised you're all over it already! :)

Martok likes this.
  3. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I was more interested by the Modiphius one (at work, no links) but the price put me off.

4. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    If you like wargames (like Warhammer 40k) then the Modiphius one is probably for you. However, as is typical for wargames with lots of intricate miniatures, it's not cheap.

Fallout: Wasteland Warfare is a 2 -player game and is due March 2018 and starts at £60 for a 2-player starter set (contains 12 miniatures other stuff for the game). You can pay up to £699 for the Vault Tec Complete Package Bundle with a lot of miniatures (though I'm not sure it has everything that's available).

There's more details on what's available and pricing for Fallout: Wasteland Warfare here:

FALLOUT
    Fallout: Wasteland Warfare

There's also some gameplay here:

Personally, I'm not a fan of wargames and loads of miniatures and Fallout the board game that's in the first post is the one that I'm interested in, especially as you can play with up to 4 players.

5. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Martok likes this.
  6. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I liked the Modiphius one as you can play it co op, but im not prepared to pay that sort of money.

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    The other game is semi-coop. Although ultimately there's just one winner, you will have to work with other players at times to defeat enemies etc.

HERMAN_JELMET likes this.
  8. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
  9. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I agree with many aspects of their review in that the game very much looks like and plays like Fallout the video game. When I played it (not my copy, which I now have and is for Christmas, someone else's who got theirs at the same time and we learned to play as a group of 4 at my games club), the design, graphics and gameplay did feel just like the video game.

I don't agree with:

Many of the board games that I play are Euro-style (worker placement) games with limited interaction between players - it's all about doing the best you can to score the most points. Now whilst the Euro-style games aren't co-operative (like Pandemic) or competitive (like Star Wars Destiny) there certainly is a social element to these games - I should know as I play them often enough with my board game groups each week. As for Fallout, I found that to be even more social - when I played it, the 4 of us discussed each turn what we were generally going to do as a group, particularly as we had radroaches, raiders and other stuff to deal with on the board. So I'd say that the game is semi-cooperative (and I've seen it described like that elsewhere too) with the group working together on some aspects of the game whilst still playing aspects of it as individuals and trying to win.

I very much look forward to playing it some more over/after Christmas, I know this will be a fun game especially as I like the Fallout video games. I also look forward to seeing what expansions come in the future - the game is ripe for this, there's plenty more that can be released such as more scenarios, map tiles, characters, encounter cards and quest cards.

zoob likes this.
  10. IamNumber6

IamNumber6 It's not me, it's my brain!

PSN:
    IamNumber6
  11. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
  12. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    I hate board games. Dunno what it is but I just find them so boring.

13. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    You'd have a total riot at @Martok and @HaloJ 's house then :lol:

14. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I'm going to hazard a guess that you are playing some of the old (and in my opinion boring) 'standard type' board games. Modern board games are nothing like the dull stuff that was around when I was a kid. Maybe you could name some that you have played and found boring?

15. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Not played anything for more years than I care to remember, so you are right Martok, I'd just rather find something else to do instead. Each to there own I suppose.

16. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    That's fair enough.

I hate the old-style board games like Monopoly (which is based on pure chance due to the the dice mechanism for movement) and Trivial Pursuit (which all comes down to people's knowledge of subjects and the random luck of the questions drawn as well as dice mechanism again for movement). To me these games are not fun (at least not now that I know there are a whole wealth of modern, fun board games out there).

Personally I like the social interaction with others when playing a board game, whether that be just me and @HaloJ or also with my daughter, or when I'm out at one of my board game groups playing with regular others or people I've never met before. On top of that there's the whole "how well can I do in this particular game using the various game mechanisms" that I enjoy. I do like the sort of board games which require a bit of thought (though the level of thought does vary depending on whether you want a real "thinker" of a game or something a bit lighter for easy play).

For me, video games just don't cut it as much these days as they used to. I loved playing for hours and hours each week in years gone by but now I play less. It's generally a solo experience (even with multiplayer and even then there's only a few who you know to play with). For me it doesn't have the same social interaction or depth that a board game has. It's great for just chilling and being by yourself at times (and I do still do this) but if I had a choice between play a video game or play a board game with others, I'd usually choose the latter.

If you ever get the chance to play a modern board game with others, do give it a try, you may find that you like it. I know I was sceptical after my previous experiences with Monopoly et al but once I tried more modern board games, I loved it and now I'm hooked.

I'm sure I mentioned this somewhere else but for anyone interested in my current (ever-expanding) board game collection, it is here:

Mart0k | User Collection | BoardGameGeek

17. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    Very nice collection Martok, I may have a few more, but you have a better mix of quality I think.

My boardgamegeek profile is emmersonpoole.

p

Martok likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice