Other Engineer Creates One-Handed Switch Controller Adaptor

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Since the Switch launched in March this year, one of the more common complaints I've seen from big, burly-handed gamers is that the Joy-Con controllers are too small to comfortably hold. But while the Joy-Con are notably smaller than controllers of competing hardware, their small size has at least notable advantage: it has made possible a peripheral that could help disabled gamers play with just one hand.

Mechatronics engineer Julio Vazquez has come up with a pair of 3D-printable peripherals that allow both Joy-Cons to be held in the same hand. One adaptor allows the two controllers to be placed side by side, and the other places them at a right angle to each other.

"This adaptor was developed by request of my friend Rami Wehbe," Vazquez says. "He wanted a way to play Zelda: Breath of the Wild using only his left hand, as he lost the ability to control his right hand due to a cerebrovascular accident."

Anything that makes gaming more accessible to a wider number of people is exciting, and the thought that the Joy-Con's small size would make this cheap and viable as an option is brilliant. Well done to Mr Vasquez.

If you have access to a 3D printer and want to try out Vazquez's ingenuity yourself, the blueprints for both adaptors can be found here for free.

Source (Kotaku)