PS4 Elite Dangerous coming to PS4

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Frontier details Elite Dangerous' last major update of 2018
PC beta starts later this month.

Frontier Developments has announced that the fourth and final major update of Elite Dangerous' current season, Beyond, will launch in beta for all PC players on October 30th, with a full release to follow "soon" after.

Beyond: Chapter Four, as the latest update is known, marks the conclusion of Elite Dangerous' 2018 season, which has largely focussed on expanding and improving existing areas of the space sim, rather than on introducing entirely new features.

To that end, Beyond has already brought major changes to crime and punishment in Elite Dangerous, hopefully making the multiplayer game less vexing for newcomers, as well as improvements to Engineering. It's also introduced new ships, including the Chieftain, new ship-launched fighters, and welcome features such as Galnet Audio, which reads out the latest in-game news, providing a friendly voice in the lonely emptiness of space.

Chapter Four's headline features include new in-game organisational structures called Squadrons (but sadly not the previously announced ice planets and Fleet Carriers, both now due later). Functioning like guilds, Squadrons enable multiple Commanders to establish a formal group, complete with hierarchies, to tackle the likes of community goals.

New membership management and communication tools will be available in-game and via the web in order to help groups co-ordinate their efforts, and new leaderboards will enable Squadrons to show off their achievements. When the delayed mobile-base-style Fleet Carriers are eventually introduced, they'll provide a proper home for a Squadron's members.

Beyond: Chapter Four also attempts to enrich two oft-neglected disciplines in the Elite Dangerous universe: mining and exploration.

Exploration has been expanded via a new Analysis Mode (working in tandem with an overhauled Exploration Discovery Scanner and Detailed Discovery Scanner), which splits the existing 'honk to discover all planets in a system' set-up into a number of different steps. Following an initial scan of a system, players can tune their scanners to locate "stellar bodies and other phenomena", including unidentified signal sources and conflict zones. There are also new probes that can scan and map the surface of planets, locating points of interest too.

Who says there's no atmosphere in space?.
Frontier calls the new set-up a "more realistic, satisfying and engaging exploration experience" that "provides players with the freedom to make more informed decisions on where to look next, and be ultimately better rewarded for time spent exploring". Hopefully that's actually the case, and the new complications to the currently straightforward system feel meaningful, rather than like extraneous, time-consuming busywork with minimal financial compensation.

Elsewhere, the new exploration probes dovetail nicely with expansions to the mining discipline, and can be used to locate optimal spots for extracting resources around planetary rings. New tools, including ship modules, will make for a more "fresh, exciting" experience according to Frontier, and there's promise that mining will now be more lucrative too.

Also on the cards for Beyond: Chapter 4 are visual improvements, background simulation updates, and some currently unannounced new ships and cockpit interface changes. All of the above will be outlined in more detail during a series of livestreams leading up to launch.

A different sort of big bang.
Frontier's first livestream, which starts at 7pm BST on October 18th, deals with exploration, codex and visual improvements, with background simulation and scenario interaction being discussed on October 25th. Squadrons get a going-over on October 30th, with mining on November 1st, and ships on November 8th.

For those eager to investigate Elite Dangerous' new additions, Frontier will be holding a staged, four-week beta event from October 30th. Various mechanics from Chapter 4 will be available to play at weekly intervals (as outlined in Frontier's blog post), and the beta is open to all Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous: Horizons owners on PC.

Beyond: Chapter 4 will launch as a free update on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 at a later date.

Source: Frontier details Elite Dangerous' last major update of 2018

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Nice trip. I would sign up if I had the time

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
  • Pallaeni to Omega Nebula
  • Approx. Distance: 5,421 LYs

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Please note that the DW2 Fleet Roster will be closing on Friday 18th at 18:00 UTC. If you still haven't signed up to it, and you want your name to be associated with the expedition when the final roster is archived, please sign up before then. Further details here...

Distant Worlds II - Fleet Roster Sign Up Thread

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Or, if you're at work but have the internetz, you can also play (a version) at ClassicReload.com ;)

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Dipped my toe in again last night. Cripes there were a lot of key bindings to setup for that new exploration and discovery stuff. Not entirely sure why they thought it a good idea to have the surface scanner system be on a fire group whilst the full spectrum system scanner can be on a key bind. That and having to also switch modes all feels a bit clunky. I could understand mode switching if firegroups were limited to only those modes but firegroups seem global......

I was thinking about grabbing a Krait II and stripping the Python seeing as they're internally similar and grabbing the fighter bay from the T9. Still a couple of million shy of buying that Imperial Cutter but I've got the Imperial rank to do so when I've got the money.

@c00ky may I see your Krait build?

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Dipped my toe in again last night. Cripes there were a lot of key bindings to setup for that new exploration and discovery stuff. Not entirely sure why they thought it a good idea to have the surface scanner system be on a fire group whilst the full spectrum system scanner can be on a key bind. That and having to also switch modes all feels a bit clunky. I could understand mode switching if firegroups were limited to only those modes but firegroups seem global......

I was thinking about grabbing a Krait II and stripping the Python seeing as they're internally similar and grabbing the fighter bay from the T9. Still a couple of million shy of buying that Imperial Cutter but I've got the Imperial rank to do so when I've got the money.

@c00ky may I see your Krait build?
Yeah - I will post a link at the weekend.

I find the Krait a cool ship, especially in VR, but the Python has a bit more capacity in cargo if you fit it out right. The only benefit if Krait is you can have a fighter bay installed.

Krait Phantom is like the Krait but no fighter bay, with the Guardian FSD booster it’s a decent exploration ship, mine gets about 50ish lay range without compromising on boost capability.

I’m slowly upping my Imp rank on PC as I have unlocked the Corvette (still prefer Anaconda to it) and my fav ship is still Python, or for extreme hooning Imp Eagle.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah - I will post a link at the weekend.

I find the Krait a cool ship, especially in VR, but the Python has a bit more capacity in cargo if you fit it out right. The only benefit if Krait is you can have a fighter bay installed.

Krait Phantom is like the Krait but no fighter bay, with the Guardian FSD booster it’s a decent exploration ship, mine gets about 50ish lay range without compromising on boost capability.

I’m slowly upping my Imp rank on PC as I have unlocked the Corvette (still prefer Anaconda to it) and my fav ship is still Python, or for extreme hooning Imp Eagle.
I have a hot rod Imperial Eagle utterly hilarious! I really wish the Python had a fighter bay and it's that which is tempting me across to the Krait. I really love those super quick Imperial fighters.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@c00ky don't worry about the Krait 2 build. I tested one out and it's marginal gains. I'm getting a small amount of jump range and the ability to hold a fighter but I'm losing so much armour and shield due to the loss of that 3rd size 6 slot. Storage space I have them both setup for 128. It handles nice and its fun but I think I'm going to chop it back in and carry on saving for the Cutter (or may an Anaconda but I think my heart is more in the Cutter)

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I see what you mean, I'm like where's my advanced scanner gone?!

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@c00ky don't worry about the Krait 2 build. I tested one out and it's marginal gains. I'm getting a small amount of jump range and the ability to hold a fighter but I'm losing so much armour and shield due to the loss of that 3rd size 6 slot. Storage space I have them both setup for 128. It handles nice and its fun but I think I'm going to chop it back in and carry on saving for the Cutter (or may an Anaconda but I think my heart is more in the Cutter)
I think Krait is more a style over advantage kinda ship, and even for me I prefer Python when it comes to general mucking about.

Cutter is defo a "basking" lump of a huge ship - I am only a Knight rank, so haven't even unlocked Cutter yet!

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I see what you mean, I'm like where's my advanced scanner gone?!
lol - the benefit is that after just a honk and before you have to use the FSS you will get reward for equivalent of ADS entire system.

Use FSS to search for signals and identify planets and then if you have installed the DSS thing get close enough to planet and then start shooting those probes! They give you a Brucey Bonus if you scan the object within a set of probes. Plus this adds a first mapped as well as first discocverd tag with yor name on it if you are first and first back!

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As I was affiliated with Aisling Duval before my hiatus I've jumped straight back in and earned enough rank/cash to grab a few sets of Prismatic Shields. The intention was to run the iCutter with a 6A Prismatic and engineer boosters for extra umf to give extra storage for über size trading loads. Going to grab a set for the Python/Asp too and a set for the experimental Eagle hot rod.

Although grinding for the rank and money for the iCutter was what drove my hiatus; that combined with Frontier's practical glacial pace fixing bugs and bettering the life of their content.

I did note that during my time away that Power Play has encroached upon Li Yong-Rui's space, specifically the Harm system where it used to be possible to buy an iCutter with 15% discount and mostly refit it for a bit of reach to at least be able to fly it out of there.

I like the new scanning system now I've got my head around it. The fact that all ships have advanced discovery scanners without taking up internal space and the fact for a normal detailed scan you don't need to approach every planet in a system.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll need to read up and reacquaint myself with it all, I think!

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Also, you can now link your PS4 account in inara.cz and it will take a feed from Frontier's API.

It is not as extyensive as the PC EDMC (Elite Dangerous Market Connector), but it will track your credits, current ship load out and location, so you can see what you have been up to out of game.

Quite nifty!

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Also, you can now link your PS4 account in inara.cz
I spotted that on their news yesterday and instantly connected up. I also made a teeny mistake regards buying an iCutter. I was at Baron (now Viscount) which unlocks the iClipper and I've a way to go before I get to Duke! I'll have my Prismatics in 19 hours though!

Got a bit messed up last night tussling with a Dangerous heavily armed Anaconda and didn't notice that my distributer had taken a few knocks. When the second one jumped me I dropped out with the intention of kicking ass. Unfortunately it was an Elite rank Anaconda with chaff which extended the tussle. I attempted to run with a full hold of Platinum but left it a too late and an embarrassing re-buy followed moments later.

My Inara profile : https://inara.cz/cmdr/71610/