EA win Star Wars contract (DICE to develop a SW game)

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yup, there's been a couple of decent Star Wars games in the past, the best one being Battlefront, which would fall right into DICE's hands as it's basically just Battlefield anyway.

Battlefront 3 was already well into development, but honestly I reckon DICE will do a far better job of it.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Again, from twitter...

"@DICEfigge: Me + My amazing team + Frostbite + Star Wars. It just happened. Can someone tell my inner child to stop jumping and screaming? #starwars"

:D

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've just done a sex wee :)

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Woot! The Force is strong in this union!

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This news must suck for Nintendo fans.

Didn't DICE Technical Director Johan Andersson comment that Frostbite 2 basically didn't work well enough on Wii-U to go down that route? (that's the Battlefield 3 engine for those not familiar with all things DICE)

Which I assume means that there's no hope that the Wii-U will ever get a port of this game either.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
sucks to be U

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Mmm, I have very pleasant memories of BF2142 - can you imagine it with AT-ATs etc instead of mechs?
Hoth & Endor, here we come!

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have very fond memories of Star Wars Battlefront....but stick that on the Battlefield engine and you're talking a seriously different ball game.

We were discussing this on chat yesterday and came to the conclusion that DICE should be done with the "Battlefront" title as it implies a continuation of the Battlefront series and basically just use the latest Battlefield engine with a Star Wars graphics patch. Get away from the Third Person view thing as it's rarely implemented well with current standard control schemes and start from scratch with a Star Wars themed well balanced title rather than try to incorporate everything from the other Battlefront games.

This has a lot of potential for greatness.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
True that.
Wouldn't take much to add landspeeders etc in instead of planes & automobiles.
Oooooooooooh. muchos greatness

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I absolutely loved Star Wars Battlefront, guess it'll be PS4 before we see anything though.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I absolutely loved Star Wars Battlefront, guess it'll be PS4 before we see anything though.
I would think so too given how recent the acquisition of the Starwars franchise was, normally a good 3 or more year development of a title.

Even if they use what's already there (hopefully not) it's still gonna be a good year I would think...and if they do a graphical patch of Battlefield again it'll take a good year I would think to get it sorted, levels designed and everything balanced.