1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Dust 514

Discussion in 'Shooting & Action Adventure' started by Acegadgets, 29 Jun 2012.

1. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Its a game that i've been interested in for a a long time. I used to play eve online and the whole concept of the game seems very good. From what I can gether, You basically play for free and do the actual battles on the planets for the eve players. You can get buy micro purchases to enhance the game expieriance if you wish . Its a FPS game with large maps.
    The Beta has been running for a while, I suppose it will simply eveolve as did eve over the years. I, like many have applied for a beta code, but havent as yet recieved a code. Others that have the beta that i've spoke to are not that impressed at the moment with it.
    I was tempted to buy the "starter pack" from the platystation store for £13,99 which also gives you entry into the beta but was persuaded otherwise. Can anyone who has played it expand on the good and bad points of the game.

2. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    I tried the Beta and I must say I wasn't impressed. I didn't think it worked very well, it wasn't clear what you were supposed to do and I didn't like the idea of a game that although it's free, I'd have to buy weapons and kit for on a micro-transaction basis.

I'd be interested to hear what the game is like now though as I know it's had several updates since I last tried it.

3. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Its a lot more refined and works a lot better now. All hits actually connect. And it does look quite pretty too.

I like it. Its not going to trouble BF3 or COD, but its free to play and download. The developers are going to keep working on it until its fantastic, as they want you to be invested into the Eve universe.

Its Like MAG, as I beta tested that and hated it for all the reasons Martok said above. But then it was released, and after a few patches in it was fantastic and it now plays like a poor mans BF3.

Analysts are predicting that the free to play model will become the norm soon, as games ridiculous budgets are becoming just too high risk. I remember Yaster telling me that Home was a commercial success because of all the micro transactions, and it has done very well.

4. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Free to play you say? Is it now out of beta because I must admit I really did think it was a bit of a dog before. Needa (OAP) and a few others are avid players of Eve.

5. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    It was pants, I was just on the PS store and It said It was £13.99! For a beta!!

6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    No its still in beta stage. You can pay for a game pack which gives you loads of gear & money for when the game comes out, but also grants you early access to the beta too. When the game goes gold, it will be free to play.

As I said, its not perfect at the mo, but a few patches more and it could be something special. "A Few Patches More"; make a great title for a Clint film. :crazy:

7. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    A few patches more seems to be the subtitle for a number of titles recently, Starhawk, Battlefield, Dust.....

8. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Maybe the 514 in Dust is a target for the number of patches it needs before it is a decent game. :lol:

9. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    I have been following this gamne too, but its the relationship between what you get as a free player against what you have to pay for that makes the difference as to whether I get it or not . There is also the question as to whether what you pay for stays with you for the lifetime of the game or whether you lose all your equipment when you die and have to re-buy it. I am not keen at all on an open ended buying committment in as game, but I would be willing to buy equipment packs if they are permanent. Jury is still out I guess.

10. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I signed up to the IGN website at the weekend and they gave me a code for the game. Probably still codes there for anyone who wants one. Must say I like the way you build your character and equiptment. very similar to the eve universe.
    The level that was playing didn't look fantastic and it took me a lot of deaths before I started to get into it.
    Everyone seemed to have bigger and better guns with better armour than me. But I did manage a few kills as a sniper later on and played around in a couple of vehicles. I liked trying to allocate my points to improve my player after every round , Its a very deep game.
    Decided tonight that I was going to spend £1.59 for some AUR, (ps store money) so I could get a couple of bits.
    Apparently when the game comes out you get the £1.59 worth of AUR back so you can start again.
    Unfortunetly the Beta is only online between Thursday and Monday morning, so they will have to wait for my monies.
    I think I could become slightly addicted to this game.

11. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Theres a few changes this week, I'm off to spend my £1.59 to make my soldier more competative.The beta code that was issued last week was only valid for the weekend.
    SO in order to play on the beta I went and got the £13.99 mercenary pack.
    When the game is finalised you get £13.99 worth of upgrades so its not really a waste if you like the game which I do.
    Something about it, makes it very addictive.

12. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Ive got two redemption codes if anyone else fancies joining me & Ace?

M755-GLNC-C3KB & 68RP-87NB-94K4

Just post back here which one youve used so noone else uses it. :thumbup:

13. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Are comms working on it?
    Never heard anyone yet.
    What Skills are yo looking to get Slaine?

14. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Most people dont seem to bother with comms, which is a shame. I have spoken to a couple of people. As for what skills, Im currently working on getting my Assault soldier up. Force of habit. I always go for the well rounded character first, may be because Im well rounded (ok alright I meant fat).

15. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I like the way the characters progress. I reckon people who have never played EVE will not really get it at first. Its a bit nerdy , but I like that side of it. The problem will be that the more you play the better your character will become and new players going up against you wont stand a chance and may well give up on the game before they get into it.
    The FPS side of it still needs a lot of work but I think after a lot of updates and fixes it will become a really good game.

16. shadstah

shadstah Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shadstah
    I got a couple of beta codes if anybody wants one? Only have 2 mind so first come first served

17. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    yeah i have two also feel free anyone.

TTQL-3HN4-2E6M
    JJRF-2ANK-2G2M

please post a reply if you use one so everyone else knows :)

18. GusGorman

GusGorman Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    GusGorman
    Big update today to begin the Eve Online integration.

Here is the link to the Dev Blog over at Eve Online...Dust 514 should start to get a bit livelier. Also, this will be the last character reset so all skill points invested now will run through open beta and launch.

19. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Waiting for the full release before I start playing the beta was slow and laggy :(

20. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I played it for a while then forked out £13.99 which I believe I'll get to spend again when its re set. Not sure if I'll bother , Will check it out next time I have a bit of spare time but contemplating playing Eve Online again once I get my new PC put together