PC Dual shock problems on windows 8 PC

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've been trying to get the Dual shock to work with my PC for months without much joy.
The only real way to get these things working is to use drivers that emulate xBox controllers from motioninjoy.
The drivers and the software from motioninjoy dont seem to be my problem. When I first tried to get it to work I plugged in my PS3 controller and it was recognised as a playstation dual shock USB controller by windows. However at the time I couldn't get the drivers to make it work properly.
I've fannied about , deleted old motioninjoy drivers re installed newer ones and now I get a message saying that the USB device that I plug in (the dual shock or nav controller) is not recognised which means what ever I do i cant get the dam thing to work.
Where do I go from here (other than buy an xBox controller) or give up.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
With just Windows loaded up when you plug your controller into the machine it should automatically recognise it as a PS3 dualshock controller and if you go into the game controller properties you can see it will respond to button presses and d-pad input, but the analogue sticks do sod all.

Can you get this far?

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
When i plug it in I get USB device not recognised, but in control panel> devices I get HID controller appearing. Then I also get in3 unspecified devices popping up HID game controller / Playstation 3 controller/ Unspecified device.
The lights on my dual shock all come on , and the motioninjoy panel "connected game controller panel" says wait for controller to be connected, with a loading bar moving next to it . (this is the panel that should come up with dual shock connected in it.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Without even opening MotioninJoy the dualshock should be recognised as a PS3 controller by Windows, I know it does under XP/Vista/7 so assume it's the same on 8.

A bit of googling suggests that you can search for "USB" in the Windows 8 Start menu, then select "Set up USB game controllers" option under the "Settings" heading.

This should list the controllers that Windows recognises, if you then select the controller and click on "Properties" and "Test" you should have a screen like this:

On that screen when you press buttons on the controller it will light up a button on screen corresponding to that button.

If you can get this far then it's all gravy, if not you've royally fecked your Windows drivers for gamepads by the looks of it.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think its the latter. Just going out for a few hours. Thanks for the help so far

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's about as much help as I can be i'm afraid, I don't use Windows much so can't really troubleshoot it further.

I'd suggest Google to try to figure out what you've done....or just wipe OS and start from scratch.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hmmmm its not working again.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not having much luck there are you.

Is it now working under Windows or has that bit gone again?

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I uninstalled it again and got the 6.0005 version. It seems to work for me, BUT i reckon I was just expecting it to work everytime I switched my PC on.
You have to load up the motioninjoy software and ENABLE the xbox checkbox before you load the game you want to play in.
I tried it on Crysis 3 and its really good.
I've tried swapping the L1, L2 and R1 with R2 buttons as this seems more like a DS3 controller set up.
I played a bit on warframe last night, my turn speed was really slow with a pad, dont know if I can change this ingame,
All in all though chuffed that I can now actually play games with my PS3 controller.
I really dont like all the ad links on the site though, wish there were alternative drivers for the Ds3, I might look into getting a differernt controller that emulates the xBox one but feels like a DS3 pad such as the madCatz, Logic 3 or Logitech models, or possibly one of the cheap £6 things oneBay.
Does anyone use any of these, or another similar looking pad (not the xBox) ones?