Downloading games takes forever on PS3

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As you may know, I have one of the slowest internet connection speeds on this forum. Although I'd like a fast connection, I simply cant get one in my area , there is no cable or fibre and the fastest speeds we get are 4 mbps on a good day usually just over 3 mbps (download) and about 0.3- 0.5 upload speed.
This means that it take a hell of a long time to download games.
Now the thing is I download PC games from Steam , and they usually take between 2 and 4 hours to download.
On PS3 they take all night. I downloaded the kingdoms of amalur last week and it was a good 10 hours. Last night I downloaded LBP karting , started it at 9 pm, it was still only 40% done when I went to work at 3.30 this morning, so presume its taken a good 12 hours to download. After that you have to install it. , 14 gb has taken 50 minutes so far . Its just about done, but if there is a bloody patch I'll go bonkers.

Why does it take so much longer on the PS3?
And what happens with the PS4? There's bound to be a shift towards downloadable games and free to plays that are download only, but how long are they going to take to download and install if you dont have a good connection speed , when the games no doubt will be bigger and better?
update. One hour done and its froze on 96%

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's a combination of your line speed and a throttling system that mostly everything has built in these days.

Steam has it, PSN has it, Windows has it....though to varying degrees and some systems allow you to do 'aggressive' downloading

Basically these systems avoid using what's considered 'aggressive' downloading to avoid capping out your line and making other broadband services and websites unusable.

You'll find that same file would download on my line considerably quicker as instead of a 3-4mbps line i've got a 70mbps line, but it's not going to use the full 70mbps.

Whilst it's possible to actually drown out your line with downloads (I can do this using torrents if I set enough large files away at the same time) it's rarely beneficial as your line could become unstable anyway...something you REALLY want to avoid on low quality lines or with low quality equipment (my router will die if I do this).

When PS4 comes out you'll likely see no change, perhaps being more internet centric they may change the throttling system, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If you're going to download stuff on the PS3, do it during the day, it's always far slower in the evening as it's peak time on PSN.

I've also found that sometime when I'm downloading a game (usually a large one), at some point the download speed drops. I've discovered that to resolve this, if I pause the download and then resume it again it then continues to download at the faster speed it was originally downloading at.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
And this is why I don`t look forward to a download only future.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
And this is why I don`t look forward to a download only future.
Viva la Sony.

Even on a relatively fast line downloading can be a pain.

But with that said, if downloaded games suddenly became competitive with the pricing on discs...I'd be downloading everything.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
This is why they still make discs. Personally I have no problems with downloading large amounts of data, but I like a nice shiny box to hold on to.