Download reliability

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have just got PS+ for the first time so this shall probably more of an issue now.

What I have found in the past is some downloads will give an error when trying to install and I may have to try 3 or 4 times until it eventually works. Not too much of an issue, but, if im DLing a game that (for example) is 6gig I dont want to have to keep downloading it just to try to get it to install.

So anyone in the know have any ideas on making it more reliable?

The PS3 is on a wired connection to the router (sometimes it seems to work better on a wireless connection but this may just be coincidence )

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
In all my time, I've only downloaded one game that turned corrupt when it hit my hdd. Could be a problem with your hdd, and the console isn't reading what its downloaded right.

Someone who knows what they're talking about will no doubt post here soon

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's very unusual for that to happen.

I would agree that it could be an issue with the HDD, the only other option would be an issue with your ISP.

I do recall a very long time ago on the PS2 that some people had issues downloading a patch or something for a game and it hindered them for a while, it was due to the internal caching systems of a particular ISP.....this is HIGHLY unlikely to be the issue though and it's more likely to be that your line is that unstable that it can't download consistently.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Weird thing is I have never had any issue with any game patches or the PS3 updates, only seems to happen when getting stuff off of the store.

Could be a HDD issue but this is my 2nd PS3 and I had the same thing with both.

My personal thought was line stability as Col mentioned.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Weird thing is I have never had any issue with any game patches or the PS3 updates, only seems to happen when getting stuff off of the store.

Could be a HDD issue but this is my 2nd PS3 and I had the same thing with both.

My personal thought was line stability as Col mentioned.
If it was a line stability issue you'd assume it would also happen with patches and updates, particularly when these are large files that are being downloaded.

The fact that you can get a working file on the third or fourth attempt would suggest that your ISP isn't caching a broken version as it would consistently fail.

What ISP are you with a what router are you using? It could be some dodgy setting on your router that's stopping it working properly all the time, or if you have a bad enough router it could be dropping packets and thus losing data.....I don't think the PS3 has the same redundancy levels as most platforms for ensuring files are downloaded correctly.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Have you tried downloading a large file on the PC? Surely if it was an ISP issue the same thing would happen with that?

Also might be a stab in the dark but is your cable that goes from PS3 to the router ok? If you have a spare knocking around might be worth trying that?

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
PC's I imagine have better coping mechanisms for downloading data where packets aren't received...that's a total guess mind you but it wouldn't necessarily happen on a PC just because it happens on a PS3.

Plus if it's happening on multiple PS3's then you can rule out the console itself.

If it doesn't happen on Wifi, but does on wired, then Plaxi could be onto something with trying a different cable.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My ISP is Callflow, it was the only company that I could use to get a half decent connection, BT etc could only have given me approx a 1Mb line. The router is a Billion one provided by callflow.

I do get the same problem over wifi it just doesn't seem as bad.

Never had a problem on PC though.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well i've never heard of your ISP but at a glance they appear to be using a simple piggyback system onto the OpenReach fibre network so shouldn't be an issue.

Your router is a respectable make....though you may not have heard of them, but I would assume given the information that this is where your issue lies, possibly dropping packets of data for some reason, unfortunately I have no experience of Billion routers so can't really help further, perhaps getting in touch with your ISP and explain the issues and request a different router to try....even a simple DMZ setting for the PS3 may help!

Unfortunately it's not very easy to just stick any old 'other' router in there to quickly identify your problem as it will be a funky setup to use one port as a bridge to your OpenReach modem (correct me if i'm wrong there) meaning sticking another router in it's place would require setting it up in bridge mode...easier said than done in many cases :(

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have a Billion BiPAC 7800N and it's the best router I've ever bought. Was expensive though but really helps with my line stability.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I would put the ps3 in in the DMZ of your router a see if that helps. If not a HDD defrag on the ps3 might be needed. Unfortunately sometimes when doing that if your HDD is a little worse for wear it will corrupt all the data on it and you will require a full format :(

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would put the ps3 in in the DMZ of your router a see if that helps. If not a HDD defrag on the ps3 might be needed. Unfortunately sometimes when doing that if your HDD is a little worse for wear it will corrupt all the data on it and you will require a full format :(
I had thought of doing that.

Something else that makes it look HDD related, the original thing I tried d/loading was Spec Ops: The Line, when it failed installing it was at 14% done. I tried d/loading it again yesterday and when installing it failed at 14% again.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I had thought of doing that.

Something else that makes it look HDD related, the original thing I tried d/loading was Spec Ops: The Line, when it failed installing it was at 14% done. I tried d/loading it again yesterday and when installing it failed at 14% again.
Have had a similar hing with a gt5 update a long time ago, kept getting to a certain percentage the failing

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure what option you use in the debug menu, I'm sure it's rebuild drive database . I'll check now.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ta :2thumbsup:

Will give it a go later when the GP is on... if I remember :/

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Might not fix it but the only other option is a full format

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Think I will try it on my old PS3 with the buggered blu ray drive, see how that goes. :think:

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm with Virgin Media and I've noticed download to the Vita is a hell of a lot faster than downloading to PS3. I downloaded Jak Trilogy for vita the other which is around 3 gig and it took 30 minutes, it took 20 just for the first part of the trilogy for ps3

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I notice a lot of my PC downloads getting corrupted lately with Virginmedia. Not sure if it's just the files I was getting as a second download seems to have fixed them.